Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Bette needs more love!

I adore Bumble Bee, remember her from a very long ago time - like around when the original Bat-girl, Betty, Bette

or Flamebird, also mixed with the Titans.

Isn't there someone who can right this wrong and restore Bette to her deserved place in the comics?
    Last edited by Oberon; 11-13-2020 at 06:19 PM.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I adore Bumble Bee, remember her from a very long ago time - like around when the original Bat-girl, Betty, Bette

Isn't there someone who can right this wrong and restore Bette to her deserved place in the comics?
    I would bring Bette back if I worked at DC. She's my favorite DC character. I actually did some art of her recently 8E25AA04-F4C7-41AE-8BF0-978882C3F09D.jpg
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Bumblebee showing up in more animated shows --> more nostalgia --> more love
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Bumblebee showing up in more animated shows --> more nostalgia --> more love
    Bette's older and DC hates her.
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

Mighty Member

...I'm not sure how Bumblebee and Betty Kane relate to each other... If anything the fact that DC wants to erase any Batgirl who isn't Barbara Gordon is more of a correlation to Bette's situation.

Obvious reasons.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

We got enough under used batgirls

But still not enough prominent black girl heroes
    End thread

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    We got enough under used batgirls

But still not enough prominent black girl heroes
    End thread
    we do need more diversity but fun fact, all 3 future Batgirls are black

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    ...I'm not sure how Bumblebee and Betty Kane relate to each other... If anything the fact that DC wants to erase any Batgirl who isn't Barbara Gordon is more of a correlation to Bette's situation.
    Karen and Bette were Teen Titans together back in the 70s

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    Karen and Bette were Teen Titans together back in the 70s
    Barely. Betty was there for only 3 issues. At the very end. For a it-never-happened Titans West spinoff (just one story). They were only in the same place in the final issue (from what I can tell, just skimming) and had no substantive interaction.

Really, for the 1960s-1990s, Bette/Betty showed up like half a dozen times a decade, as best I can tell.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-23-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    Bette's older and DC hates her.
    Doubt it. Bette just isn't as mainstream as the other Batgirls let alone Bumblebee. Barbara and Karen have had more mainstream exposure. Barbara had Batman:TAS, brave and the bold, and a couple of movies. Karen had the Teen Titans, Young Justice, and DC Superhero Girls. That just means both of them get more push and support than Bette does.

I'm sure if Bette had an iconic storyline and comic(Killing Joke, Birds of Prey) or showed up in a couple of animated adaptations, the situation would be swapped.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Bette is also hurt, I think, by not be a big success when introduced. A half-dozen stories, and then she disappeared. Then there was Barbara as Batgirl and Betty/Bette only showed for nostalgia purposes and minor roles for a couple decades. Then she was set adrift from her original backstory when COIE happened (and frankly, seemed a bit of ditz in some of those earlier post-COIE stories). So yes, it's her not having iconic stories, but I think that didn't happen because she wasn't all that popular to begin with. And she was no longer being used in the era (mostly late 1960s and 1970s) when comics switched to keeping the same readers instead of turning over the audience every few years. More recently, she got used again, of course, and that's good for her fans. Though I admit, I don't see that much connection between the earlier and more recent versions. Of course, the same can be said for some other heroes.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-23-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Barely. Betty was there for only 3 issues. At the very end. For a it-never-happened Titans West spinoff (just one story). They were only in the same place in the final issue (from what I can tell, just skimming) and had no substantive interaction.

Really, for the 1960s-1990s, Bette/Betty showed up like half a dozen times a decade, as best I can tell.
    I love Bette but like she rarely appears more then a few times each decade. 80s-00s were when she was used the most

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Doubt it. Bette just isn't as mainstream as the other Batgirls let alone Bumblebee. Barbara and Karen have had more mainstream exposure. Barbara had Batman:TAS, brave and the bold, and a couple of movies. Karen had the Teen Titans, Young Justice, and DC Superhero Girls. That just means both of them get more push and support than Bette does.

I'm sure if Bette had an iconic storyline and comic(Killing Joke, Birds of Prey) or showed up in a couple of animated adaptations, the situation would be swapped.
    Except that Bette's in Elegy and she got replaced with an OC on the tv show. I'm very bitter about that

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Bette is also hurt, I think, by not be a big success when introduced. A half-dozen stories, and then she disappeared. Then there was Barbara as Batgirl and Betty/Bette only showed for nostalgia purposes and minor roles for a couple decades. Then she was set adrift from her original backstory when COIE happened (and frankly, seemed a bit of ditz in some of those earlier post-COIE stories). So yes, it's her not having iconic stories, but I think that didn't happen because she wasn't all that popular to begin with. And she was no longer being used in the era (mostly late 1960s and 1970s) when comics switched to keeping the same readers instead of turning over the audience every few years. More recently, she got used again, of course, and that's good for her fans. Though I admit, I don't see that much connection between the earlier and more recent versions. Of course, the same can be said for some other heroes.
    New Teen Titans really damaged her character. Because Kathy wasn't Batwoman in the new universe, Bette lost her motivation to be a hero, so Wolfman and Perez substituted it for the Robin fangirl. It wasn't until the Beast Boy miniseries that she started to recover. And then Batwoman 2011 happened and all her development went out the window just so she could be a little mini-Kate