Page 173 of 498 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183223273 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 7465

Thread: DCU Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkatie View Post
    I wouldn't mind future MCU movies took a leaf out of Shang-Chi's first 90% of runtime (before the CGI dragon fight)
    Oh for sure. I was enjoying the movie a lot… until that final fight completely derailed it.

Incredible Member

At this point, I am utterly convinced that in order for a DCU live action film to be successful, on screen, is if Batman was somehow in it. It's like the character is the only one that is successful consistently. Same with Spider-Man with the Marvel films.

I think people are exaggerating. DC made yet another mediocre movie featuring a character that is not that popular begin with. Of course it's not going to be a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    At this point, I am utterly convinced that in order for a DCU live action film to be successful, on screen, is if Batman was somehow in it. It's like the character is the only one that is successful consistently. Same with Spider-Man with the Marvel films.
    Well Batman didn't help Justice League. Neither did Wonder Woman who had a successful film mere months before JL came out. They spoiled her cameo precisely to try to get more people to see Shazam 2 and that failed too. At this point I think we're beyond the idea that the characters are the draw, or at least if it comes to using certain characters as a means to prop up others. If the trailers don't sell people on the movie, they just won't go see it.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-20-2023 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly I think the first Black Panther film hit a tonal sweet spot.
    The Nolan Batman films were funny while still being serious.

“I don’t need help. Not my diagnosis.”
    “I’m not wearing hockey pads.”
    “Accomplice? I’m going to tell them the whole thing was your idea.”

People don’t give Nolan credit for his dry humor but that’s the sort of joke that lands. The Batman also struck a good balance. It’s possible to have jokes or quips, but they need to be employed with restraint so it’s not every other line.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The Nolan Batman films were funny while still being serious.

“I don’t need help. Not my diagnosis.”
    “I’m not wearing hockey pads.”
    “Accomplice? I’m going to tell them the whole thing was your idea.”

People don’t give Nolan credit for his dry humor but that’s the sort of joke that lands. The Batman also struck a good balance. It’s possible to have jokes or quips, but they need to be employed with restraint so it’s not every other line.
    Alfred: I assume as you take on the underworld this symbol is a persona to protect those you care about from reprisal?
    Bruce: You're thinking about Rachel?
    Alfred: Actually, Sir, I was thinking of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I think people are exaggerating. DC made yet another mediocre movie featuring a character that is not that popular begin with. Of course it's not going to be a hit.
    I mean, I think Shazam is moderately popular if not on the status of the A-listers but popularity is so hard to define lately and not always a barometer of success.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Watching Shazam! 2, I had for the whole time the same feeling I had watching Dark Phoneix and New Mutants, I don't expect any follow up over the Waller show especially for a comedic post credit scene filmed ages ago.
    Okay, on one hand, we have a scene that, from its content, is obviously meant to set things up for future cameos in the DCU. On the other, we have the "feeling" you got while watching the movie.

That's an argument I guess.

Also, a year ago is "ages" ago?

It's also worth noting that Safran, the guy who arranged for Holland and Agee to film that scene and the now co-head of the studio, is close personal friends with Zachary Levi.

Again, this is not to say we will definitely see him or that this means that Shazam will get a third movie, but this leaves the door open especially since that scene makes it incredibly easy to tie Shazam into Waller. And honestly, that would 100% jive with Gunn's sensibilities as a writer/producer. This is the same man who gave us Starro in The Suicide Squad and is giving us the High Evolutionary as the next big bad of his last Marvel entry. He loves going for unexpected choices and that's part of why I actually like a lot of his stuff.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-20-2023 at 03:27 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Well Batman didn't help Justice League. Neither did Wonder Woman who had a successful film mere months before JL came out. They spoiled her cameo precisely to try to get more people to see Shazam 2 and that failed too. At this point I think we're beyond the idea that the characters are the draw, or at least if it comes to using certain characters as a means to prop up others. If the trailers don't sell people on the movie, they just won't go see it.
    For one, I was being facetious, and two, again, it seems like ONLY the Batman films can get the critical hits (btw, WW 1984 failed as a sequel, according to the press). Not saying that Shazam 2 should be a mega-hit, considering that the main character is unfortunately a niche one, but the film was a solid film that will be lucky if it makes it budget back. That's the depressing aspect of all this. At this point, I have ZERO idea what should be done about the character. It may be better just to stick certain characters like Shazam to the animated circuit for now, with the possible chance of bringing him back as a streaming live action show or mini-series. Personally, I would love it if DCU Studios remake THE ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL! or the old SHAZAM! television series, complete with traveling Winnebago and cave-dwelling Elders.

What's even sadder is the Shazam brand got a one-two punch with both Black Adam and Shazam 2 bombing. And as WB tends to do, they'd just think both characters are now radioactive and we'd likely never see them on screen again, at least not for many years to come. James Gunn loves Shazam(I asked him a while back during a Facebook Q&A which DC character he would like to direct a movie about if he had the chance and his answer was Shazam) but I doubt he would be able to do much about it.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-20-2023 at 03:19 PM.

Astonishing Member

Sometimes its ok to blame the fans.

Fantastic Member

Misposted so deleted
    Last edited by Coop; 03-20-2023 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    What's even sadder is the Shazam brand got a one-two punch with both Black Adam and Shazam 2 bombing. And as WB tends to do, they'd just think both characters are now radioactive and we'd likely never see them on screen again, at least not for many years to come. James Gunn loves Shazam(I asked him a while back during a Facebook Q&A which DC character he would like to direct a movie about if he had the chance and his answer was Shazam) but I doubt he would be able to do much about it.
    Yep. They’re gonna be gone for a decade on screen just like Hal Jordan was.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    I mean, yes, that your take but I don’t find the writing or the characterization bad. Nobody is saying the Shazam movies should be up for Best Picture or anything but for superhero blockbusters, they are rather entertaining. And yes, a bit refreshing. The character of Shazam, both the concept and the way it’s written, does embrace whimsy to a far larger extent than other superhero films. A kid in an adult body who then shares his power with his brothers and sisters is decidedly not “gritty” or “serious” the way other superhero franchises even within the MCU tend to be. And that is refreshing.
    I don't find it refreshing or entertaining lol. But that's your take since we're pointing out that the things we say are opinions that we hold. Who knew.

And I don't understand why saying that the movie and the writing and the acting is bad has to now infer that I'm looking for best picture quality production from a crappy superhero movie. There's miles of space to occupy between baseline entertaining and best picture quality film. For me Shazam like most of the other DC movies of recent times falls far below that baseline of entertaining and is strictly in the it's so bad I feel like I've been robbed of my time and my money space.

Like over in the Ant-Man 3 excuse Land Jeff Loveless is being like don't you remember when you just used to show up on a Sunday and see a movie and it didn't matter what it was you were just so happy to be at the movies? No dude I definitely don't remember that and I definitely don't feel that way when a movie costs 20 freaking dollars. I remember walking out of movies that were terrible laughing at them and making fun of them with my friends. And I remember walking out of movies that were exciting laughing and talking about them with my friends. But I don't ever remember sitting down to swallow whatever turd was served me and smiling about it. That's just not in my nature.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    I don't find it refreshing or entertaining lol. But that's your take since we're pointing out that the things we say are opinions that we hold. Who knew.

And I don't understand why saying that the movie and the writing and the acting is bad has to now infer that I'm looking for best picture quality production from a crappy superhero movie. There's miles of space to occupy between baseline entertaining and best picture quality film. For me Shazam like most of the other DC movies of recent times falls far below that baseline of entertaining and is strictly in the it's so bad I feel like I've been robbed of my time and my money space.

Like over in the Ant-Man 3 excuse Land Jeff Loveless is being like don't you remember when you just used to show up on a Sunday and see a movie and it didn't matter what it was you were just so happy to be at the movies? No dude I definitely don't remember that and I definitely don't feel that way when a movie costs 20 freaking dollars. I remember walking out of movies that were terrible laughing at them and making fun of them with my friends. And I remember walking out of movies that were exciting laughing and talking about them with my friends. But I don't ever remember sitting down to swallow whatever turd was served me and smiling about it. That's just not in my nature.
    Okay. Cool, I guess. You can have that opinion. Nobody is saying you can’t. At the same time, Jeff Loveness can defend his film (nobody was talking about Ant-Man btw). That’s his prerogative.

At the same time, it’s my prerogative to just say I don’t share your opinion and like the whimsy that Shazam brings to the table. And the first one did really well with critics. But that begs the question, if you didn’t like the first one, why did you even bother with the second?