Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    You can make a character study about any DC villain Joker just happens to have the most depth and pedigree as a character to call for these portrayals
    This could have been the Catwoman movie if Michelle Pfeiffer and Tim Burton would have stuck with the project instead of the hacks that ended up working on Catwoman.
    Still hoping there will be a legitimate Catwoman movie. I would argue that Catwoman has as much depth and subtlety as Joker and in the right hands would make a great
    subject for a movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    This could have been the Catwoman movie if Michelle Pfeiffer and Tim Burton would have stuck with the project instead of the hacks that ended up working on Catwoman.
    Still hoping there will be a legitimate Catwoman movie. I would argue that Catwoman has as much depth and subtlety as Joker and in the right hands would make a great
    subject for a movie.
    At this point, Catwoman is more of a superhero than a villain, arguably. Well, she's in a bit of a grey area but for the most part she swings towards being on the side of the angels.

So a Catwoman movie, while highly desirable, is not really a 'villain-centric' movie.

I'm going to see it just for the sheer "WTF?!?!" value of it all.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    At this point, Catwoman is more of a superhero than a villain, arguably. Well, she's in a bit of a grey area but for the most part she swings towards being on the side of the angels.

So a Catwoman movie, while highly desirable, is not really a 'villain-centric' movie.
    It would be an interesting character study though about why a woman turns to a life of crime. We know Harley was abused by Joker. But how about something that doesn't revolve around a man being responsible.

Incredible Member

I personally wouldn't go see this unless it got really good reviews and good word of mouth from people I know in real life. I would prefer this was released at a different time from all the DCEU albums. We've got multiple TV and film universes now. I would prefer one. Even if they made the same film with Jared Leto in it, I'd be more likely to watch it. Or if this Joker ends up being in the next Batman film, and Jared Leto's Joker is explained as a copycat in his next film.

But as unpolpular as it may be, I am completely invested in having a single shared universe, with good continuity, and no elseworlds projects at the same time (by all means make them, just after the dceu films are all done and all the origonal actors have moved on)

BANNED

Just too much other stuff to spend disposable cash on.

BANNED

I'm starting to suspect this is a sort of Earth-3 dimension (if you're familiar with the Pre-Crisis DC Universe) and this Joker will be an anarchist, sociopath "antihero" working outside the law, but not a villain.
    Heck, maybe in this universe, Thomas Wayne is the real enemy and we will never get a "Batman", because Joker is the (twisted) hero of the city.
    Could this be a possibility? It would also explain why they modified his make-up in order to distance him from the past Jokers who were villains and criminals.

An incredible thought crossed my mind.

Arthur Fleck is the first Joker and will inspire Heath Ledger's Joker to emerge in the future.

This is a prequel to the Dark Knight trilogy.

Just a funny thought. Why so serious?

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    I'm starting to suspect this is a sort of Earth-3 dimension (if you're familiar with the Pre-Crisis DC Universe) and this Joker will be an anarchist, sociopath "antihero" working outside the law, but not a villain.
    Heck, maybe in this universe, Thomas Wayne is the real enemy and we will never get a "Batman", because Joker is the (twisted) hero of the city.
    Could this be a possibility? It would also explain why they modified his make-up in order to distance him from the past Jokers who were villains and criminals.

An incredible thought crossed my mind.

Arthur Fleck is the first Joker and will inspire Heath Ledger's Joker to emerge in the future.

This is a prequel to the Dark Knight trilogy.

Just a funny thought. Why so serious?
    Knowing the director's back catalog and factoring in the bits that were tucked away in the trailer, I would bet an unopened box of jellybeans that the reason the makeup is the way it is has nothing to do with distancing this character from villains/criminals.

Spectacular Member

Joker has the potential to be a character with a lot of depth to his backstory because there is a lot of lore about him. I like that this film at least seems to be taking that stance, and if this Joker actually turns out to be an anti-hero of sorts, I think I'll be really happy that someone somewhere finally got the Joker's character close enough to "right." The clown does NOT have to be a psychopathic murderer, as that's actually not a huge part of his character at all. The Joker's story should be instead a tragic tale of someone destroyed by the remorseless Gotham City, slowly forced to change his moral code as a matter of survival in the harsh concrete landscape.

Here are just a few ideas for Joker that people could use to tell a compelling story:

Mentally ill
    Abused as a child (some Batman comic, I don't remember the name of it)
    Raised by the mob (Jack Napier)
    Raised in France (in Batman: Europa, it is revealed that the Joker has a group of followers in Paris, and he speaks perfect French)
    Master chemist (most Batman comics featuring him)
    Failed comedian (Killing Joke)
    Struggling family man (Killing Joke)
    The Ace Chemicals accident (many Batman comics)
    Regenerative properties (New 52, Endgame)
    Master anarchist (Batman comics)
    Genuinely insane (Going Sane)

One complaint I do have from this trailer, though, is the Joker's look. That clown makeup should be toned down maybe.
    Last edited by kcomics; 04-09-2019 at 06:22 AM.

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

The trailer has me so hyped. I hope we get that Joker vs Batman at some point

Quote Originally Posted by agentofthebat View Post
    The trailer has me so hyped. I hope we get that Joker vs Batman at some point
    Not sure is that is possible though. The little kid is Bruce Wayne and in that chronology Arthur would be pretty old by then, assuming they stick to the realistic tone
    of the movie and don't do something silly like saying Joker never ages or was stuck in suspended animation until Bruce grew up.

Also assumes that this guy will be alive and kicking at the end of the film.

That might not be the safest bet.

Astonishing Member

Astonishing Member

I heard that his origin will be different and that some fans will be angry for that...

I only want one good JOKER FILM&Character without matter his origin or another things..