Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Who is the premier Writer at DC? Who is the premier Artist?

With Snyder and Capullo (And Johns and Fabok) stepping away from DC for the time being, who do you think are the top writer and artist at the company?

I know this is a subjective question but there is some objectivity you can bring to it. Snyder has shaped Batman and then Justice League and the two last big events DC has done. Capullo was the artist on said events. I think they were definitely considered the unofficial top dogs at the company. Who is it now?

Is it Bendis because of his name recognition and the fact that he's on Justice League? (I don't think so)
    Is it Williamson cause he seems to be spearheading Infinite Frontier #0?
    Is it Tynion IV cause he's kind of the head of Batman right now and Snyder's protege?
    Is it Taylor who seems to be getting more and more influence on the mainstream universe and has TWO immensely popular AU stories going on?

And art wise...

It seems to me like it's Dan Mora (who is just now getting started but is already a superstar and has been doing so many covers for the company) or Jorge Jiminez who was on Justice League and now Batman. I guess David Marquez is on Justice League and immensely talented...but he hasn't made his mark on DC yet.

My vote would be Williamson (with a strong argument for Tynion IV) and Jiminez.

Am I missing someone?

Whoever is on Batman is the primer writer/artist, so Tynion and Jimenez are the top guys. After that it’s JL so Bendis/Marquez.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Whoever is on Batman is the primer writer/artist, so Tynion and Jimenez are the top guys. After that it’s JL so Bendis/Marquez.
    That's not always true. Geoff Johns was certainly top dog for a long time and he never ever wrote Batman outside of the Earth One Graphic Novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    That's not always true. Geoff Johns was certainly top dog for a long time and he never ever wrote Batman outside of the Earth One Graphic Novels.
    Fair enough, I’ll add the caveat “now”. Johns was indeed the top guy once upon a time wherever he was, but DC has imploded so hard that there really is no other book that can challenge Batman. He far outsells the JL since Rebirth.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    With Snyder and Capullo (And Johns and Fabok) stepping away from DC for the time being, who do you think are the top writer and artist at the company?

I know this is a subjective question but there is some objectivity you can bring to it. Snyder has shaped Batman and then Justice League and the two last big events DC has done. Capullo was the artist on said events. I think they were definitely considered the unofficial top dogs at the company. Who is it now?

Is it Bendis because of his name recognition and the fact that he's on Justice League? (I don't think so)
    Is it Williamson cause he seems to be spearheading Infinite Frontier #0?
    Is it Tynion IV cause he's kind of the head of Batman right now and Snyder's protege?
    Is it Taylor who seems to be getting more and more influence on the mainstream universe and has TWO immensely popular AU stories going on?

And art wise...

It seems to me like it's Dan Mora (who is just now getting started but is already a superstar and has been doing so many covers for the company) or Jorge Jiminez who was on Justice League and now Batman. I guess David Marquez is on Justice League and immensely talented...but he hasn't made his mark on DC yet.

My vote would be Williamson (with a strong argument for Tynion IV) and Jiminez.

Am I missing someone?
    Good riddance of Snyder and Capullo.

How about:
    - Dan Abnett - he did gread on Aquaman
    - Sean Murphy - he is excellent on White Knight
    - Robert Venditti - he was great on Hal Jordan

But I'm all for Tynion IV - way better than Snyder.
    Bendis is not that great - he had some very low with Spider-Man and Superman

As for Art what about:
    - Francis Manapul & Brian Buccelatto - c'est rocked on Detective Comics and with their art on DC and Flash
    - Liam Sharp - he is also a great writter
    - Dustin Nguyen - his watercolors are fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Good riddance of Snyder and Capullo.

How about:
    - Dan Abnett - he did gread on Aquaman
    - Sean Murphy - he is excellent on White Knight
    - Robert Venditti - he was great on Hal Jordan

But I'm all for Tynion IV - way better than Snyder.
    Bendis is not that great - he had some very low with Spider-Man and Superman

As for Art what about:
    - Francis Manapul & Brian Buccelatto - c'est rocked on Detective Comics and with their art on DC and Flash
    - Liam Sharp - he is also a great writter
    - Dustin Nguyen - his watercolors are fantastic
    Abnett did not do well in Aquaman the sales confirm that.

Fair enough, I’ll add the caveat “now”. Johns was indeed the top guy once upon a time wherever he was, but DC has imploded so hard that there really is no other book that can challenge Batman. He far outsells the JL since Rebirth.
    With 3 Jokers Johns outsold Batman by far

with Infinite Frontier it looks like Joshua Williamson may be the big architect at this phase but as this new era of DC books starts to take shape we'll start seeing who the will rise to the top. If Williamson can hit it out the park with his next couple projects I can definitely see it being his time. John Ridley is probably the biggest name with active eyeballs on them at DC right now, and he has been pretty much all killer no filler since he hit the ground running. I'm sure he's not sweating it, because Hollywood, but I would hope DC is smart enough not to do him like they did Priest and actually give him that shot at architect status one day. Bendis is probably the biggest industry name but I don't think he's really actually top dog in the same way Snyder was. Jamal Campbell isn't necessarily at premier status, but much like Ridley, he came in like an absolute force and has just been killing ****. If I had to pick, I'd say Jorje Jimenez is probably top dog in terms of artist.

ultimately there isn't really a "premier" creative team at this moment but I think we will begin to see one raise up sooner or later.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    with Infinite Frontier it looks like Joshua Williamson may be the big architect at this phase but as this new era of DC books starts to take shape we'll start seeing who the will rise to the top. If Williamson can hit it out the park with his next couple projects I can definitely see it being his time. John Ridley is probably the biggest name with active eyeballs on them at DC right now, and he has been pretty much all killer no filler since he hit the ground running. I'm sure he's not sweating it, because Hollywood, but I would hope DC is smart enough not to do him like they did Priest and actually give him that shot at architect status one day. Bendis is probably the biggest industry name but I don't think he's really actually top dog in the same way Snyder was. Jamal Campbell isn't necessarily at premier status, but much like Ridley, he came in like an absolute force and has just been killing ****. If I had to pick, I'd say Jorje Jimenez is probably top dog in terms of artist.

ultimately there isn't really a "premier" creative team at this moment but I think we will begin to see one raise up sooner or later.
    Bendis is past his prime

Incredible Member

Hands down John Ridley.

The level of depth he has given below C list characters is utterly inspiring.
    Don't complain. Create.

Spectacular Member

He still is, 3 jokers was their bestselling comic last year

I don't think there is anyone right now. Especially not a duo.

DC seems to trust Williamson, but I think his “ascent” will depend on how his New Frontier books will be received.

Jimenez is almost there, I guess.

Taylor & Redondo are becoming a recognizable duo. They certainly have potential.

The hype around Ram V reminds me a lot of how people talked about Tom King after Omega Men and Grayson. If all goes well and if he sticks with DC, he'll be one of the top writers for sure.

I can see John Ridley and Dan Mora reaching the top spots too.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    I don't think there is anyone right now. Especially not a duo.

DC seems to trust Williamson, but I think his “ascent” will depend on how his New Frontier books will be received.

Jimenez is almost there, I guess.

Taylor & Redondo are becoming a recognizable duo. They certainly have potential.

The hype around Ram V reminds me a lot of how people talked about Tom King after Omega Men and Grayson. If all goes well and if he sticks with DC, he'll be one of the top writers for sure.

I can see John Ridley and Dan Mora reaching the top spots too.
    Taylor & Redondo could barely sell Suicide Squad, Ram V is probably gonna be their new rising star if he gets to write Batman after Tynion.

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    Abnett did not do well in Aquaman the sales confirm that.

With 3 Jokers Johns outsold Batman by far
    You don't get it, sales don't mean quality product. It just means there was a hype around it.

Aquaman never had hype, a bit when the movie came out, that's all. Aquaman is always underrated. I guess his adventures don't interest people.
    Look at Marvel's counterpart, Namor, he is almost forgotten. I don't even know when was his last ongoing.

Look at the DC Metal event that sells very well. It's pretty bad, but it still sells. Number don't = quality.

But I guess a few stupid things makes people wan't to buy: Dark Multivers, Zombies, Evil versions, Monsters - I don't know why people are hyped by such things.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Joshua Williamson seems to be the main architect of Infinite Frontier
    I don't know about the artist. We haven't started the Infinite universe yet.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    Hands down John Ridley.

The level of depth he has given below C list characters is utterly inspiring.
    He might be your favorite but he's not the Premier Writer at DC. He's not the guiding voice for the line the way that Morrison, Johns, and Snyder have been through the years. My question is not who is everyone's favorite writer at DC (mine would be Tom King still despite not loving everything he's done) but who is the Team Captain so to speak. I think people thought it was going to be Snyder for a while but he's taking a step back. The next obvious choice would be Bendis because of his fame and the big way they brought him in but he's not connected with readers like they hoped. And Tom King seems better suited to mini series than ongoings and they soured on his Batman run (there's another example of the Batman writer not being top dog - King was never more important than Snyder as an architect of the universe).

I really think it looks like it's going to be Williamson, but the way Tynion IV has spoken of his role in interviews and newsletters he's kind of trying to be the Head of Bat the way Hickman oversees the X-Men line. I think he's trying to make the Batbooks coordinate with each other and as good as they can all be collectively.

So I don't know if Williamson or Tynion will emerge as the top dog over the next year.