Page 135 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 2172

Quote Originally Posted by OblivionX33 View Post
    This is a wild things to say, given his many roles...
    Bishop’s roles are purely for show.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Bishop’s roles are purely for show.
    How do you figure that? He’s been central in marauders albeit a bit lack luster. I am curious to how this at all relates to slavery or where you exaggerating to prove a point? Because if the rhetoric is toned down i am all for being there with you that bishop needs some in depth character development moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    How do you figure that? He’s been central in marauders albeit a bit lack luster. I am curious to how this at all relates to slavery or where you exaggerating to prove a point? Because if the rhetoric is toned down i am all for being there with you that bishop needs some in depth character development moving forward.
    He isn't central for anything, he could be switched for any other character with similar powersets and the story would be the same

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Yea Ewing’s made it a point to emphasize that Manifold and Brand aren’t as pro-mutant as the other Krakoans or as willing to prioritize that status over any other identities/relationships they may have. I think he described it as a spacer vs Earther mindset. Manifold spent most of his life as a young mutant where apparently he didn’t have to deal too much with discrimination on that basis and when he does make the jump into the world of suoerheroics it’s as a conventional hero (AKA an Avenger) not a mutant freedom fighter.

He’s also spent the last 5 or so years in deep space fighting in some space Wakandan civil war and now he’s back to mostly dealing with cosmic stuff as part of SWORD. It makes sense why he’s not identifying too much with his mutant identity since the things he’s seen and dealt with make such matters feel trivial, especially since it’s not an aspect of himself he’s ever really been forced to reckon with. It’s a refreshing state to see a character in. I think part of Ewing’s plans for the character are to get him more in touch with his mutant family and coming to see their struggles as part of his own question of identity.
    That is a more nuanced take for him than just make him a krakoan. he never cared to join X-men before, so him working on a organization like SWORD that the task is to protect the entire solar system makes sense. Like you point out, he really has many different experiences as avenger and on space fighting for Wakanda.
    It's a job, his family and sacred land are on the australian outbacks.
    Last edited by Rang10; 04-03-2021 at 11:07 AM.

Oh i did not make that comment about slavery lol. I’m just saying that he has had the least chances to showcase his role as a captain out of all them. He didn’t get to appear along Cyclops and Gorgon in X-Men #4, he didn’t get to lead the battle on Genosha like Magik, and he didn’t get to coordinate with Cyclops and Magik in XoS.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 04-03-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Bishop is a Great Captain of Krakoa that had to be told it was now time to lead a mission by Kitty. He is the only Captain that had no role in X of Swords. He didn't even want to join the HFC but Beast told him too in order to watch over Kitty. He didn't want to be the Red Bishop but he did and got put in his red suit to follow Kitty around and keep his mouth shut. A slave isn't just about someone someone that is owned by someone or works for free. A slave by definition can be someone that is stongly influenced or controlled by something. I used the word slave not slavery but feel free to put my words in my mouth

I wouldn't go as far as slave but i don't understand why Bishop as a commander is taking the lead from Beast during events that effect the greater well being of Krakoa. I'm a duggan fan and enjoy marauders but i don't think anyone can deny that. I also don't get bishop's what i feel is a "jive" voice and attitude when he's from the future.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as slave but i don't understand why Bishop as a commander is taking the lead from Beast during events that effect the greater well being of Krakoa. I'm a duggan fan and enjoy marauders but i don't think anyone can deny that. I also don't get bishop's what i feel is a "jive" voice and attitude when he's from the future.
    I think Bishop would’ve benefited a lot from being on X-Force. I know the quality of that book has been declining as of late, but the character would’ve had more space to flex his soldier/espionage chops as a Great Commander. Marauders has its focus and it’s obviously on the corporate politics and geopolitical stuff of Krakoa with the internal machinations of the Hellfire Club taking center stage, meaning Emma and Kate are in their element but Bishop is an afterthought. I can’t help but feel he’d be a strong counterpoint to Beast on that team too, since I find the whole dynamic of that team a bit weak.

Extraordinary Member

So are none of you reading the new sword comic? I refuse to believe it if you think no black characters will surpass bishop. Manifold is quickly becoming way more complex than bishop ever possibly could. And this is coming from someone who always liked bishop.
    I find your optimism quite refreshing. However, several black male mutants have been introduced since Bishop. I thought they had great chances to be breakout characters. Most had interesting backstories. Most have crashed & burned either by depowerment, death, or both. Black male mutants typically fall off once the primary writer(s) who put in the initial development moves on from the series. My fear for Manifold will come whenever Ewing stops using the character. The next writer might need to do a scorched Earth story to establish the new incoming threat, and may use the black male mutants as fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Bro you got that right. After reading the views and utter disdain people have regarding this issue it's really clear why no Black male mutant will be allowed the opportunity to be a breakout star. The only acceptable take on us I guess is to be a submissive slave like Bishop is in Marauders.
    It's not just writers who have zero creativity, but very vocal fans.

Crazy enough, back in the 1980's, X-Men had a very significant black fan base. That was made known by the large black turnout at comic events. This was why Bishop was introduced as a black man in the first place, and probably why M, Synch, & the Bedlam Brothers were brought in a few years later. I'm not sure what happened to all the positive momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    Bishop is a Great Captain of Krakoa that had to be told it was now time to lead a mission by Kitty. He is the only Captain that had no role in X of Swords. He didn't even want to join the HFC but Beast told him too in order to watch over Kitty. He didn't want to be the Red Bishop but he did and got put in his red suit to follow Kitty around and keep his mouth shut. A slave isn't just about someone someone that is owned by someone or works for free. A slave by definition can be someone that is stongly influenced or controlled by something. I used the word slave not slavery but feel free to put my words in my mouth
    I did not think you had to explain it, but I'm glad you did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I find your optimism quite refreshing. However, several black male mutants have been introduced since Bishop. I thought they had great chances to be breakout characters. Most had interesting backstories. Most have crashed & burned either by depowerment, death, or both. Black male mutants typically fall off once the primary writer(s) who put in the initial development moves on from the series. My fear for Manifold will come whenever Ewing stops using the character. The next writer might need to do a scorched Earth story to establish the new incoming threat, and may use the black male mutants as fodder.

It's not just writers who have zero creativity, but very vocal fans.

Crazy enough, back in the 1980's, X-Men had a very significant black fan base. That was made known by the large black turnout at comic events. This was why Bishop was introduced as a black man in the first place, and probably why M, Synch, & the Bedlam Brothers were brought in a few years later. I'm not sure what happened to all the positive momentum.

I did not think you had to explain it, but I'm glad you did.
    The writers Marvel hired did not really veré for any characters beyond whet they saw as classic white make characters. So they killed off or wrote out of the picture female and non white characters. There one good thing about Krakoa. These characters have been resurrected and Darwin and Synch finally got good use in X-Men 19.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    The writers Marvel hired did not really veré for any characters beyond whet they saw as classic white make characters. So they killed off or wrote out of the picture female and non white characters. There one good thing about Krakoa. These characters have been resurrected and Darwin and Synch finally got good use in X-Men 19.
    However, the dark cloud circulating around that thought is that Hickman is responsible. Then there's Ewing for Manifold. Outside of those two, we have a chock full of shyt for writers! Those two have handled black male heroes from good to excellent. They aren't going to be long term, and the characters will be in others hands. That's the main issue, most of the writer on X-Men books seem to have no interest or ability to include black male mutants in a balanced and substantial way.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I think Bishop would’ve benefited a lot from being on X-Force. I know the quality of that book has been declining as of late, but the character would’ve had more space to flex his soldier/espionage chops as a Great Commander. Marauders has its focus and it’s obviously on the corporate politics and geopolitical stuff of Krakoa with the internal machinations of the Hellfire Club taking center stage, meaning Emma and Kate are in their element but Bishop is an afterthought. I can’t help but feel he’d be a strong counterpoint to Beast on that team too, since I find the whole dynamic of that team a bit weak.
    Agreed. I would drop Colossus for Bishop in X-Force in a heartbeat. Put him on the field team with Logan, Domino and Quire. As much as the latter gets killed, it seems they could use the help. Bishop is not only highly capable in the field as a soldier, but he can also be a powerhouse when he uses his powers effectively.

Intel branch would still be Sage, Beast, Black Tom and Forge. As Jean left the team. Kind of.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Agreed. I would drop Colossus for Bishop in X-Force in a heartbeat. Put him on the field team with Logan, Domino and Quire. As much as the latter gets killed, it seems they could use the help. Bishop is not only highly capable in the field as a soldier, but he can also be a powerhouse when he uses his powers effectively.

Intel branch would still be Sage, Beast, Black Tom and Forge. As Jean left the team. Kind of.
    Colossus has been as much wallpaper in X-Force as Bishop has been in Marauders, I'm afraid it would be a lateral move...

But then I'm not sure if an in-character Bishop wouldn't have shot Beast for being a sketchy wanna-be villain by now, and, given how much I loved the character back when he was an Avenger, I kinda would root for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Colossus has been as much wallpaper in X-Force as Bishop has been in Marauders, I'm afraid it would be a lateral move...

But then I'm not sure if an in-character Bishop wouldn't have shot Beast for being a sketchy wanna-be villain by now, and, given how much I loved the character back when he was an Avenger, I kinda would root for that.
    Yeah, I get what you're saying too. If only for that reason I want to a book focusing on the Great Captains. I see X-Force as being a group for things outside of the island. Their adventures can take place within the island, there have been plenty of domestic threats.

Ultimate Member

So are none of you reading the new sword comic? I refuse to believe it if you think no black characters will surpass bishop. Manifold is quickly becoming way more complex than bishop ever possibly could. And this is coming from someone who always liked bishop.
    As Anthony Shaw pointed out the fall from grace starts when the WRITER leaves and someone new shows up.

Generation X-Once Larry Hama left an Eliis showed up- Synch was DEAD.
    New X-Men Academy-once that book ended Prodigy got chumped and dumped on in Antman.
    Duke Thomas in the hands of any writer NOT named Snyder or Barnes at DC-gets CHUMPED.

Excluding Gail Simone, Stuart Moore, Dan Jolley & McDuffie-Jason Rsuch has been crapped on and is now in limbo. Crapped on by DC's TOP writers and Ronnie Raymond's creator.
    Alex Wilder has not fared well since Runaways ended.
    Cyborg has not fared well in the hands of writers NOT named Walker or Sempter Jr.
    Static has not fared well under ANY writer or editor since 2011.

Do we EVEN need to discuss Black Panther since 2016? John Stewart since McDuffie? Hotspot since 1996 Teen Titans?
    We will NOT talk Monica since the late 80s. Or Luke Cage before Bendis and after Priest in 1986. Night Thrasher? Luke Fox? Jakeem Thunder? Michael Holt before The Terrifics? Baby Doomsday? Supergirl's BLACK boyfriends? Steel? His niece? Aqualad? Flint of the Inhumans?

It can't be by accident we keep seeing this.

And when we bring it up-we get the blow off.

Where is the consistency?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    As Anthony Shaw pointed out the fall from grace starts when the WRITER leaves and someone new shows up.

Generation X-Once Larry Hama left an Eliis showed up- Synch was DEAD.
    New X-Men Academy-once that book ended Prodigy got chumped and dumped on in Antman.
    Duke Thomas in the hands of any writer NOT named Snyder or Barnes at DC-gets CHUMPED.

Excluding Gail Simone, Stuart Moore, Dan Jolley & McDuffie-Jason Rsuch has been crapped on and is now in limbo. Crapped on by DC's TOP writers and Ronnie Raymond's creator.
    Alex Wilder has not fared well since Runaways ended.
    Cyborg has not fared well in the hands of writers NOT named Walker or Sempter Jr.
    Static has not fared well under ANY writer or editor since 2011.

Do we EVEN need to discuss Black Panther since 2016? John Stewart since McDuffie? Hotspot since 1996 Teen Titans?
    We will NOT talk Monica since the late 80s. Or Luke Cage before Bendis and after Priest in 1986. Night Thrasher? Luke Fox? Jakeem Thunder? Michael Holt before The Terrifics? Baby Doomsday? Supergirl's BLACK boyfriends? Steel? His niece? Aqualad? Flint of the Inhumans?

It can't be by accident we keep seeing this.

And when we bring it up-we get the blow off.

Where is the consistency?
    Oh there's consistency, all of them are examples of both houses unspoken policy. To screw non-white characters, so they don't overshadow the money makers, intentionally or not. Even, while adding more white villains or anti-heroes to the mix, as previously characters like Hotspot and others get turned into uninteresting side-kicks or straight up cannon fodder.

Or worse token plot devices...COUGH ***cyborg*** COUGH
    Last edited by OblivionX33; 04-04-2021 at 12:43 PM.