Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I often wonder this one has nothing to do with this one. Should Dick have another falling out? Then again Rick something is doing that since he has not memories
    What they need to do is make a story that makes sense for the characters. Don't hold them back, but don't push them in a way that doesn't match either.

I hate the Ric decision, but I don't hate the story of Bane ordering to shoot him. That makes sense for his purpose.
    It also makes sense for Dick to hang out in Gotham for a little while to heal Bruce after he hears what happened. If he still in good terms with The Run-Offs he can ask them to fill in. They just need to include a short explanation.

What doesn't make sense is Dick delivering Zazs all the way from Gotham to Chicago by himself in Forever Evil only to end up getting kidnapped when he could just leave the transfer to the police.

About teams, Bruce tends to be overprotective and that's a reason that makes sense for him not wanting Dick in the League, even if it comes off as disrespectful or overbearing (and he is overbearing). Dick himself has more loyalty to his Titans friends, so if there's a choice, he'll stay with the Titans.

(Speaking of Bruce's overprotectiveness, this is the reason why DC or the authors' decision to keep including Damian near the League doesn't make sense to me, especially after his death and rebirth)

So I don't want them to manufacture some falling out if it can't happen reasonably.

Ideally, Nightwing is part of both worlds. If I had to choose one, however, I'd go (primarily) with Teen Titans for his Nightwing phase but the Bat Family (primarily) for his Robin phase with some transitional overlap
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-09-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

IMO the Titans shouldn't exist without Dick Grayson, and I think all of the IP relaunches have just muddled it into incoherence.

Dick is the original "teen titan" — the original kid sidekick, and the original "kid sidekick who grew up" — so if you ask me the real solution is that Nightwing should be the head of the "DC Legacy" brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He's part of both worlds. I don't think one should be emphasized over another, although the comics have certainly had issue with this in the past.
    This. They're both Dick's family and should be presented as being equal in terms of their importance to him. It's just a shame that the Titans haven't been looking too hot for...how long's it been now? 9 years?

At least nine years. I myself think the last truly good story with the NTT cast was....JLA/Titans, by Devin Grayson? And that was 1999. Maybe I'm forgetting something but that was the last time I recall that group actually feeling like it mattered.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Neither option is too appealing currently. I think ideally, Dick-as-Nightwing should primarily be a Titans character who shows up occasionally in the Bat-corner for important story arcs. But as far as the comics go, the Titans have been a sucky IP for a while now, so they would do him no favors. And the Batman IP has underutilized or abused him terribly at times.

If/when we get another legit good revival of the Titans brand in comics (like Hickman is doing with the X-Men, and he would like to do with the Titans) Dick should be sent over there ASAP.

Well why not something new? Just send him over to the justice league or superman office's with a new spyral created to stop globe meta human trafficking

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If the goal is to establish Nightwing as a independent, solo hero, then you don't want to push him primarily as part of either IP, but rather as his own.

He's always going to be a Bat, and there's tons and tons of reasons that shouldn't be forgotten. Aside from the business sense of keeping Dick connected to comics' biggest property, this is where Dick came from. This was his home for most of his history. But the Titans shouldn't be ignored. Even though the franchise isn't worth much these days, they open doors for Dick into genres and themes Gotham can't, they're a big part of his character and history, and it's not like the franchise is completely Z-list, their glory days are behind them as a group but they're still a solid, well liked IP.

Dick can help out Bruce in Gotham, hang with his friends in the Titans, and still be built up as a solo hero with his own mythos. The idea that he's got to be a Titan or a Bat is a false start; that kinda thinking will tie him to other IP's, not help him grow his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    IMO the Titans shouldn't exist without Dick Grayson, and I think all of the IP relaunches have just muddled it into incoherence.

Dick is the original "teen titan" — the original kid sidekick, and the original "kid sidekick who grew up" — so if you ask me the real solution is that Nightwing should be the head of the "DC Legacy" brand.

These here are my takes. The answer to the Titans or Batman question should be "Both and Neither." He doesn't exist solely in either, nor does he exist mainly in one with just a toe in the other. He exists in his own world that incorporates the whole of his history into it. Or, well, it should.

And seriously, if I were a creator that was charged with making the teen titans/young justice/legacy/young heroes work, I would refuse to even try without Nightwing at the center. Outside of all the rest, he is just the only one with name power to make it matter (no offense to Tim or Damian). It could be DC's X-Men.