Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Thought this was a solid but not really one of the best issues from this run.

Some of the puns were kinda forced and I feel like the Athena twist came out of nowhere. Still, it had a good resolution.

Aside from the whos, I didn't think it had puns. And the Athena twist didn't came out from nowhere, there are actually many hints. But I'm still confused by the "born as mortal" thing and her appearance on Secret Origins. It's too obvious and relevant to be just a continuity issue, even more when you think about how Secret Origins would come AFTER issue #35. The theory about her regaining form would work, but then in this issue she acts like she can finally be herself again.

I'm kinda upset. I have to digest all of this. In 100 bullets, there's also an incomplete end, however we see the possible fate of all the major characters (some dying, some scaping, etc). Here, it's all left on the air, aside from FB and the Minotaur. It's a beautiful and poetic ending, but I think it focuses too much on the characterization, without really wrapping the story.

The final pages talks about the Finches, and it shows how it apparently won't continue things that should be concluded. We might probably see Hippolyta, since she is an Amazon, but what about the other stuff? Like I said, Hades is without a ruler, Poseidon must be really pissed, Apollo is dead... We actually saw Hades and Apollo on Futures End, but who knows if they are really going to be back?
    Last edited by Vonter Voman; 10-29-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirjustin86 View Post
    Enjoyed the issue, but forgive me for asking (I've collected the entire run, but not one for re-reading issues too often), was Athena even mentioned before now? I'm glad the 'vessel' of Zola wasn't sacrificed, but I was left scratching my head. Was Zola always sharing a body with Athena from her birth? Why did Zeus do all this? To circumvent the prophecy of the first born killing him or last born usurping him?
    Keep one very important thing in mind. We have no proof that Zola was ever sexed-up by Zeus.

According to her history, Zola is a perfectly healthy, young woman, who enjoys sex and LOTS of it, and she made no pretentions, otherwise. She told us that Zeus might have hooked up with her in the form of a trucker, but was never certain. She even named a couple of other things that Zeke's daddy might have been, ..but really couldn't be sure of any one, in particular.

Furthermore, the fact that Zeke actually IS Zeus, I'm not sure we can call this a 'pregnancy', at all, ..seeing as how it's physically impossible to impregnate another living being, with yourself. Keep in mind also that, when Athena-Zola tells us that Zeus "gave birth" to her, she was talking about spring from his skull into the fully grown goddess, she is - not exactly what you and I would call childbirth. Under these circumstances, I think we have to consider Zola's motherly condition to have been a gestation of sorts, instead of an actual pregnancy.

Zeus might have been the worm in Zola's tequila. Maybe, he was the static on her laundry. He could have found a million ways to implant himself into Zola's body without her knowing, ..and none of them having anything, in the least, to do with sex.

All we know is he got in there, and Zola gave birth to Zeke. Relax.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vonter Voman View Post
    About the art, not Chiang's best. Also, while it can be understandable that she would be with her normal outfit beneath the armor, at the end Diana appears with her blue boots, something that shouldn't happen.

And who is the naked woman, after all? It's obviously figurative, but who? "Who"?
    Good question, and good pun. Maybe it is Athena, "naked" in the sense of discarding Zola like a garment and baring her true self? The fact that Zola is left alive and much more than a "garment" at the end might clash with this interpretation; but maybe when he wrote #1 Azz thought he was going to go with the "sad ending," in which, I'm guessing, Zola would have been compeltey gone once Athena emerged.

Also, we don't know WHY Athena was born as Zola. It's probably to do all of this... but wouldn't be better if she just remained a powerful goddess? Or maybe Zeus wanted all of this to happen, take out "fragile" gods, replace with better ones... It seemed he wanted to be reborn, but the thing about FB is just that he realized FB would return... but maybe he was planning to take FB out as well, not just dealing with a side effect.

And so I come to the conclusion that Zeus already had that on mind when Diana was conceived.

Astonishing Member

Also, we don't know WHY Athena was born as Zola. It's probably to do all of this... but wouldn't be better if she just remained a powerful goddess? Or maybe Zeus wanted all of this to happen, take out "fragile" gods, replace with better ones... It seemed he wanted to be reborn, but the thing about FB is just that he realized FB would return... but maybe he was planning to take FB out as well, not just dealing with a side effect.

And so I come to the conclusion that Zeus already had that on mind when Diana was conceived.
    Maybe, but to me it works better if the conception of Wonder Woman was the one unplanned miracle, and it actually caused Zeus to think of the plan. I figure that Zeus, in that moment of "absolute control...given up," learned the value of submission; and ruminating on this later, he decided to "give up control" (or "abandon fate," the oracles put it) more completely by being reborn as a human infant. To do that, he might have needed a human mother, but at the same time a mother who was capable of carrying the king of the gods; and maybe that's why Athena had to become human.

but maybe he was planning to take FB out as well, not just dealing with a side effect.
    True--maybe Zeus realized that the First Born would become such a pure embodiment of nihilism and brutality that he couldn't be stopped by brute force but could only be stopped by the power of loving submission--his own submission, Athena's, and Wonder Woman's.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 10-29-2014 at 09:56 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    1. What was the point of all this? Athena becoming human and giving birth to her father and causing all this chaos?
    2. So the FB trully was a big bad brute that needed a beating and not much strategy or outthinking. Greeeeaaaaat....
    3. (since you mentioned the origin) Why would Trevor be a ticket? Maybe they'd hang him, or put him in jail. Or perhaps send him on his way, but why would Diana need to go with him? Hippolyta could just as easily have sent someone else with him.

You know what, it seems Azz had more interest in this constant back and forth and Zeke/Zola getting kidnapped and rescued every few issues, rather than explaining anything. Why was Trevor a ticket to Diana when the Amazons are bloodthirsty sex pirates? Logic dictates they'd rape and kill him. Why did Athena become human and give birth to Zeus, becoming vulnerable and requiring protection from WW and her friends, etc.

Because 4 years of blah, blah, blah and puns. That's why.
    I tried to warn you guys. There's no way Azzarello's run could live up to all the fan's expectations, or be as deep as all the endless hours of message board speculation would indicate. It was all slight of hand designed to monopolize your time and trick you into thinking there was more to the story than there really was. Azz provided the build up and let you jump to your own conclusions.

If I had bought the whole three years worth of issues, I'd be feeling angry and cheated right about now. As it stands, I feel vindicated and glad I didn't fall into a pun laden bear trap.

I wonder if DC is hiring? I know many of us could write a better Wonder Woman story than Azzarello. It would probably be half as long and for damn sure more satisfying.
    Last edited by Razor Tiara; 10-29-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Also, I realized some time ago that being half mortal was probably the reason Zeus wanted to be reborn. Like we have seen with all the gods, specially Hera, and the differences to the demigods... it's that the Gods couldn't run from their nature, while demigods are like mortals in that sense. Mortals, in character, are better than gods.

BANNED

Also, I realized some time ago that being half mortal was probably the reason Zeus wanted to be reborn. Like we have seen with all the gods, specially Hera, and the differences to the demigods... it's that the Gods couldn't run from their nature, while demigods are like mortals in that sense. Mortals, in character, are better than gods.
    Are you saying Zeus is half mortal? Not sure where you are getting this from.

I'm not feeling cheated, nor I think the run isn't "deep". Most of the things that were left unresolved were things that happened very recently, and that needed some conclusion but not specifially explanation (aside from why Hippolyta remained clay statue and how Athena appeared on Secret Origins). The explanation of what Zeus wanted was deliberately vague just as "gods work in mysterious ways", though they also seem obvious, just like Ares once said.
    It's still my favorite story from the New 52 and my favorite story of WW. I just wanted to see what happened to some characters. Still, I'm glad about Strife coming back and the end of the Minotaur.
    Last edited by Vonter Voman; 10-29-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Are you saying Zeus is half mortal? Not sure where you are getting this from.
    Half god, but given the demigods seem to be immortal, then maybe not really half mortal. In any case, he was born from Athena in mortal form, so yes, he is half mortal. And we know demigods can be gods, like Diana and originally on the myth, Hercules. They are just different in nature. Like Gods and Titans.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    I tried to warn you guys. There's no way Azzarello's run could live up to all the fan's expectations, or be as deep as all the endless hours of message board speculation would indicate. It was all slight of hand designed to monopolize your time and trick you into thinking there was more to the story than there really was. Azz provided the build up and let you jump to your own conclusions.

If I had bought the whole three years worth of issues, I'd be feeling angry and cheated right about now. As it stands, I feel vindicated and glad I didn't fall into a pun laden bear trap.

I wonder if DC is hiring? I know many of us could write a better Wonder Woman story than Azzarello. It would probably be half as long and for damn sure more satisfying.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I kind of feel sorry for people who collected this entire run(and I don't mean that sarcastically) as there was lots of build-up with very little resolution or payoff. I almost wonder if Didio didn't know what to do with Wonder Woman when they were relaunching the New 52 and took Azz's pitch because he knew that Azz was a long-form writer and could buy them some additional time until they figured out what real direction to go with the character and her world.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

You shouldn't feel sorry about people who aren't sad (aside by the fact that it's over). Your feelings of "I knew it, you should have listened to me" are only being valid for your own opinions about it.

Apparently some of you were still wanting explanation about the raids, when it doesn't need further explanation and it has been adressed subtly. So... in your minds, that must be a cheat, but in my mind, it isn't at all.

I'm glad about the way we can still have theories about it, except of what would happen to all those characters I keep mentioning that didn't have a closure.

And it seems the vast majority of fans are good with the end, so...
    Last edited by Vonter Voman; 10-29-2014 at 10:35 AM.

I loved this whole run

Looking forward to reading this whole arc again with the knowledge of how it ends.

Mostly I look forward to following Zola from issue #1 to this finale #35

Next up is the Finches ............ I wish me luck.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

You shouldn't feel sorry about people who aren't sad (aside by the fact that it's over). Your feelings of "I knew it, you should have listened to me" are only being valid for your own opinions about it.

Apparently some of you were still wanting explanation about the raids, when it doesn't need further explanation and it has been adressed subtly. So... in your minds, that must be a cheat, but in my mind, it isn't at all.

I guess I should have clarified that I wasn't saying that "I knew it" even though Razor did. I hope that you and everyone else doesn't take it like I'm sitting here laughing at you for enjoying this run because I'm not. I honestly had no idea that the end would play out the way I did. I was more so agreeing with Razor about how he/she(I don't know what gender Razor is) said about there being lots of build up with very little payoff, the fact that both Razor and I did not purchase the whole run, and I know many fans could have probably written a run I would have found more entertaining than Azz's.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.