Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I rather get the Ewing that wrote Immortal Hulk or Agent of Asgard than the one who wrote Defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    It feels like they really want Jed to take over to head towards issue 1000. But what will be curious is if he takes over will he go Peter\MJ or the other lady
    Judging by the Black Cat series, Jed Mackay does not seem like someone who thinks Felicia would be more fun if she were dating Peter and perforce doing normal superhero things and abiding by Peter's ethical code. Also, based on his Mary Jane/Black Cat he seems like someone who wants to rehabilitate Mary Jane's reputation as a fun love interest.

Well, my main criterion is that if a writer writes Peter/MJ well that can carry a lot of bad writing elsewhere in the comic (see Spencer, JMS) whereas the writing elsewhere has to be outstanding to make up for no or bad Peter/MJ.
    That said, Kelly Thompson? Her Hawkeye run was the most fun Kate Bishop has been and her Jessica Jones was pretty good. Her Captain Marvel and Black Widow suffer a little in that they shy away from the main character doing anything unsympathetic or having any kind of conflict with the supporting cast, but at this stage we've had quite enough Peter doing unsympathetic things and conflicting with his supporting cast.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    Actually thinking about it, I’d only want Ewing on the book if Nick Lowe is no longer editor. Ewing deserves to run wild and free on a book like Spider-Man, not be constrained by perhaps the worst editor of all time.
    If we’re stuck with Lowe, then I don’t really know who I’d want on the book. Haven’t read enough Mackay to know how I feel about him, but anyone who can just deliver a decent by-the-numbers super hero action story would be fine
    What are you basing these comments about Nick Lowe on?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What are you basing these comments about Nick Lowe on?
    The last several years of Spider-Man comics.

BANNED

Maybe someone new but focuses on comedy and straight light hearted heroism for a change instead of the sappy drama crap thay shoved down our throats and does nothing for the book.
    Last edited by Hoodj; 12-02-2022 at 01:32 PM.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    Maybe someone new but focuses on comedy and straight light hearted heroism for a change instead of the sappy drams crap thay shoved down our throats and does nothing for the book.
    Why not the new writer Steph Williams. She seems to be the fresh kind of writer ASM could use

BANNED

Why not the new writer Steph Williams. She seems to be the fresh kind of writer ASM could use
    a female writter wouls be refeshing but i feel spidey book need a self aware nerd fanboy type of writer and spideys best writrrs are basically their own self insert take on peter which are guys.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    a female writter wouls be refeshing but i feel spidey book need a self aware nerd fanboy type of writer and spideys best writrrs are basically their own self insert take on peter which are guys.
    We had that for 10 years and that was awful outside a few arcs

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

That would be interesting, I really like her new Spider-Girl comic, I almost wish that would spin-off into a new Spider-Girl title.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    The last several years of Spider-Man comics.
    In what way? How do you think Al Ewing would be constrained by working with editor Nick Lowe? What kind of constraints are you talking about?

Zeb Wells, Dan Slott and Joe Kelly were all part of the Brand New Day team, and all wrote some notable Spider-Man stories before that, so for contrast, a new Spider-Man writer should be someone new, someone who has made an impression in the last few years, but who can also write a decent superhero comic that keeps Peter Parker's private life interesting.

Who fits the bill?

I would've picked the likes of Ed Brubaker or Jason Aaron to write Spider-Man years ago, so they're not quite new. Al Ewing had a breakout with Immortal Hulk in the last five years, so I guess he's new enough.

There was a great indie comic a few years ago called Maxwell's Demons, which seemed to show a guy who could tell good Spider-Man stories, and I was going to say that the writer has disappeared, but a quick Google Search shows that Deniz Camp is responsible for the critically acclaimed Image series 20th Century Men, so it'd be great to consider him.

I don't think I follow the new comics enough to have a good sense of who the best up and coming talent are. My preference would be for editors to have avenues to give tryouts to people who are doing interesting work in indie books that sell 10,000 copies and largely fall under the radar.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    In what way? How do you think Al Ewing would be constrained by working with editor Nick Lowe? What kind of constraints are you talking about?
    What do you mean it what way? He’s been in the editor’s seat for the past several years and runs of Spider-Man comics. 99% of which have been horrible, pedestrian, and comically averse to doing anything interesting with the character. Not a single Spider-Man run that he’s been editor for has stuck the landing

Astonishing Member

What I'd love to see:

NO ONE associated with Brand New Day.

Ryan North would be great. So would Jeremy Adams. Jed MacKay. Would love for Jonathan Hickman to be given twelve months and zero editorial oversight to create his own miniseries which can be or not be in continuity, depending. Patrick Gleason is a great writer as well as a great artist - would love to see him take the writing reins (at the least, you know he would be able to write for and work with his artists).

Would love to see a woman write ASM. Rainbow Rowell is killing it on She-Hulk, Gail Simone would be awesome (and Variants is one of the best miniseries out this year), Steph Williams has a great handle on the Parker family so far in her Infinity Spider-Girl title. Kelly Thompson's issues of Beyond were among the weakest (only Wells's were weaker, IMO) but perhaps if she were driving the title it might be different. Emma Lord is a bestselling YA author who wrote Spider-Man fanfiction under the pen name Nine Miles to Go and I'd love to see a more adult, updated "Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane" type series from her. Preeti Chhibbar wrote about a high school Peter in "Spider-Man's Social Dilemma" - a really fun book - and it would be great to have an Untold Tales-type series from her or see what she could do with an adult Peter.

Would kill for Ta-Nehisi Coates to be on ASM, if only for a short run - his essay on Spider-Man in the Atlantic is one of the best takes on the character I've read in the 21st century.

Basically, would love to have someone who isn't afraid of strong female characters and who wants to explore real, human emotion and make Peter relatable by making him a fully dimensional character instead of hiding behind fratboy, sketch comedy sensibilities with rubber stop motion action figures instead of characters on ASM. It's been mostly fifteen years with Spencer being the exception, it's time.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 12-02-2022 at 05:29 PM.

Astonishing Member

Gail Simone did mention on Twitter recently that she would love to write ASM. She could be a viable option.