Page 1059 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 595599591009104910551056105710581059106010611062106310691109 ... LastLast
Results 15,871 to 15,885 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Because you don't want to put yourself through another brain numbing issue?
    No because you can read an entire modern $20 trade in 30 minutes give or take 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    No because you can read an entire modern $20 trade in 30 minutes give or take 10 minutes.
    maybe read something other than a Marvel book then?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    To be fair it depends on the writer, some of the older stuff (80's) still holds up pretty well today, while some of the newer 90's early 2000's is a slog. I tried reading the Spider-Girl digest and couldn't get past the first couple of issues, while the Dark Phoenix Saga, Armour Wars, Demon in a Bottle were excellent reads.
    Thats true. There is definitly stuff that is timeless. Dark Phoenix, Born Again, Demon in a Bottle fucking great stuff.

But the really early stuff is just to different. I am like the biggest Spider-Man Fan there is, but I had to stop after the 12th Issue from the first Amazing Omnibus. Its just to cheesy.

(Still, Spideys Origin Issue is timeless again...)

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEPROFF View Post
    Thats true. There is definitly stuff that is timeless. Dark Phoenix, Born Again, Demon in a Bottle fucking great stuff.

But the really early stuff is just to different. I am like the biggest Spider-Man Fan there is, but I had to stop after the 12th Issue from the first Amazing Omnibus. Its just to cheesy.

You stopped at the wrong place.Ditko takes over the book's direction from around issue 18 and it really takes off till his departure. If you can't get through early ASM then you can forget about FF and Avengers .

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEPROFF View Post

You can't reconcile proclaiming yourself as the biggest Spider-Man fan there is and not liking the definitive run of the character.
    Last edited by Sasha; 07-28-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    You can't reconcile proclaiming yourself as the biggest Spider-Man fan there is and not liking the definitive run of the character.
    This is correct.

OK, quick question. Can someone tell me what the differences in content are between the Complete Onslaught Epic TPs vol 0-4 vs. the upcoming Avengers/X-Men Omnibus?

I'm sure this has been spelled out somewhere. I have the TPs and am thinking about skipping the upcoming Omni.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I just read Jack Kirby's Devil Dinosaur and he really goes all out with such a silly, but kid friendly idea. It reminded me of Battling Boy and of course Kamandi. I swear that Dinosaur has a personality without any words, well dialogue, lots of great captions!

I finally read Steve Gerber's Foolkiller. The best Punisher story almost no one has read. Marvel has to reprint it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I just read Jack Kirby's Devil Dinosaur and he really goes all out with such a silly, but kid friendly idea. It reminded me of Battling Boy and of course Kamandi. I swear that Dinosaur has a personality without any words, well dialogue, lots of great captions!
    Kirby's Devil Dinosaur is awesome! So many ideas and concepts and dinosaurs!
    Last edited by Diamond; 07-28-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I finally read Steve Gerber's Foolkiller. The best Punisher story almost no one has read. Marvel has to reprint it ASAP.

Kirby's Devil Dinosaur is awesome! So many ideas and concepts and dinosaurs!
    Those are my three favorite things!

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    OK, quick question. Can someone tell me what the differences in content are between the Complete Onslaught Epic TPs vol 0-4 vs. the upcoming Avengers/X-Men Omnibus?

I'm sure this has been spelled out somewhere. I have the TPs and am thinking about skipping the upcoming Omni.
    I broke the Onslaught Omni contents vs. trades down a few weeks back. Long story short: The only thing the TPBs add are X-Men #50 and some scattered "material from" pages that might be in the Omni and just not part of the solicitation
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

I've never been the biggest Fantastic Four fan, I've tried many times but it just never caught me. This year, thanks to some awesome sales, I've picked up some of the OHCs people have told me to read, and the new ones as well. So I've now read the three Silver Age Omnis, the two Byrne omnis, the three Waid OHCs, the two Hickman Omnis, the Fraction Omni and the Robinson stuff that's available on unlimited.

I know the Lee stuff is sacred, and I love it a lot (mostly for Kirby) but it really rehashes some stuff too much.
    1) Mistaken Identity "Why are the Fantastic Four Fighting Each other?!"
    2) Will the Thing be cured!?
    These things would be minimized by reading monthly and not all at once like I did, but it got repetitive fast.

Byrnes stuff starts slow, and kinda boring but ended up being the absolute best. I think I read that second Omni in a week. I couldn't get enough. I liked it far better than any other FF run.

Waid is one of my favourite writers, and probably the issues I was most familiar with. And like the first time I tried to read them, they were boring. I didn't like the art style and nothing seemed to matter. I feel like this material left no impression on the FF as a whole.

Hickaman's stuff was a lot more character driven than people led me to believe. I never thought I would like Franklin and Valeria as much as I did. They made the Super Hero School concept more engaging than anything the X-Men have done recently. I liked that some of the story beats were carried over to his larger marvel vision. A really good read and a second the the Byrne stuff for me.

Fractions stuff was okay. I guess. The best mart about it all was Ant Man, and maybe some early comedy moments with Medusa (okay, those were really good). In fact the FF was superior to Fantastic Four in almost every aspect.

Robinson's stuff isn't doing anything for me.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post

Waid is one of my favourite writers, and probably the issues I was most familiar with. And like the first time I tried to read them, they were boring. I didn't like the art style and nothing seemed to matter. I feel like this material left no impression on the FF as a whole.

While I agreed with most of what you wrote, I really thought some of the best stories were when that "thing" happened to the Thing, and Reed's reaction/move that followed. I thought that might have been some of the best FF ever. I thought it was very touching and really delved into a friendship that is usually only mentioned in passing but never really detailed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    I know the Lee stuff is sacred, and I love it a lot (mostly for Kirby) but it really rehashes some stuff too much.
    1) Mistaken Identity "Why are the Fantastic Four Fighting Each other?!"
    2) Will the Thing be cured!?
    These things would be minimized by reading monthly and not all at once like I did, but it got repetitive fast
    I am also working through my FF omni's, I am in Lee/Kirby 3 right now. The Mistaken identity bit I will absolutely give you; however the curing the Thing is part of the real people aspect of the Marvel characters. In story not a lot of time has passed in these issues, why wouldn't the focus be on trying to cure the guy who got the worst of their transformations? It all goes into the character building and relationship dynamics of the group. What is driving me nuts is the lack of personality attributed to Sue. The "I'm just a silly woman" schtick is a little grating. I know it was the 60's, but a super heroine should have been more than that.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Haha while I agree with this statement, as another self-proclaimed "Spidey Super-Fan", I think that the Lee / Romita Vol II Omnibus is the material I find myself re-reading over and over again!

Also, I just rearranged my bookshelves so here's a quick pic...

image.jpg