Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    Lol! Quietly couldn't draw aesthetically good looking people, but I always admired his storytelling ability. His layouts, panels etc were always top notch. Again, I always thought his comics felt very cinematic. But man, his people were still ugly as hell.
    Yes. Quitely's art is not about drawing fashion models. Or just good looking people. I remember New X-Men 114, his first issue. Jean looked like she was 55 yo lol
    But I never minded. His storytelling, layouts, details, were always amazing. I love weird art. And I will always prefer a Jae Lee over a Jim Lee. Or a Bill Sienkiewicz over a Salvador Larroca.

Quote Originally Posted by jonincentex View Post
    Nice artwork, but in NXM Jean and Emma had to go into Xavier's mind because the mind of the world's most powerful telepath had been booby-trapped by Cassandra Nova his sister, the omnipath.

They went in together, because they had no choice.

This issue exists strictly to pay homage to Quietly's art, but it falls far short of a homage to Morrison's writing.

Morrison gave a solid justification for them going in together.

Hickman's use of Storm in the place of a Xavier doesn't really make much sense.

She is a vastly powerful elemental, but she is not a telepath whose mind has been booby-trapped if the artwork tells the tale.

She's been infected, but the infection doesn't pose any threat like Cassandra Nova did. It just seems to be able to hide quite well, which makes a poor basis for a story.

As a result the beautiful homage to Quietly seems like a cover for Hickman's decision not to bother actually telling a story.
    Very well said. This was a homage and kida of a gimmick issue.

It's a lot of pages just to get that Storm has virus and that's it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jonincentex View Post
    Nice artwork, but in NXM Jean and Emma had to go into Xavier's mind because the mind of the world's most powerful telepath had been booby-trapped by Cassandra Nova his sister, the omnipath.

They went in together, because they had no choice.

This issue exists strictly to pay homage to Quietly's art, but it falls far short of a homage to Morrison's writing.

Morrison gave a solid justification for them going in together.

Hickman's use of Storm in the place of a Xavier doesn't really make much sense.

She is a vastly powerful elemental, but she is not a telepath whose mind has been booby-trapped if the artwork tells the tale.

She's been infected, but the infection doesn't pose any threat like Cassandra Nova did. It just seems to be able to hide quite well, which makes a poor basis for a story.

As a result the beautiful homage to Quietly seems like a cover for Hickman's decision not to bother actually telling a story.
    Storm always had strong psychic defenses, they didn't know what they were up against and having backup is never a bad idea, especially since Krakoa puts an emphasis on mutant cooperation and combining their skills. It's also apparent that they made the right call as both their strength was necessary to unroot the techno virus reveal from inside Storms psyche.

And it could have been any two telepaths but Emma and Jean have been focal points of this run and it was a perfect opportunity to show how their relationship has evolved, away from the misogynistic cattiness of Morrisson exchanges and into a more supportive friendship, holding hands, touching foreheads, having each other backs. Its not insignificant that Jean completed the Xavier rescue by herself but here they reached the conclusion together.
    Last edited by tuck frump; 02-26-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Storm always had strong psychic defenses, they didn't know what they were up against and having backup is never a bad idea, especially since Krakoa puts an emphasis on mutant cooperation and combining their skills. It's also apparent that they made the right call as both their strength was necessary to unroot the techno virus reveal from inside Storms psyche.
    Many of us thought Storm's threat was the Shadow King. And he could have been for all we knew at the time. So I agree with you : as Jean & Emma din't know what was happening with Ororo, f the threat was the Shadow King for example, it was better for them to be together.
    Last edited by franckd; 02-26-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I'm going to have to agree. the mind of ororo is highly resistant to telepaths so it would make sense that jean would need help. very happy Hickman remembered this.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The gag is though that Dautermann is a MUCH better artist than Quietely. This issue is much more beautiful than the NXM ever was. With the art doing all the heavy lifting on both issues, is the NXM really better?
    No way, Dauterman is better? Both are good but Quitely is one of the best. His art is dynamic and cinematic. Quitely doesn’t draw pretty people or cheesecake. His people actually looks like people. I love both, but come on!

Yeah, Dauterman's art is very pretty to look at, but Quietly is very creative and a dynamic sequential artist/story teller. The complexity of his visual language in 121 is far beyond what Dauterman did here(which was gorgeous), in terms of craft.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    No way, Dauterman is better? Both are good but Quitely is one of the best. His art is dynamic and cinematic. Quitely doesn’t draw pretty people or cheesecake. His people actually looks like people. I love both, but come on!
    I secretly wish that I was a billionaire to hire Quitely to draw all the New X-Men issues he didn't draw at the time. And you MechaJeanix, would be the only one i'd give a copy to.

Many real people looks better than what Quitely draws

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

My favorite X-Book of the week "it was the only one I bought lmao". I loved the art and while I normally want dialogue in my comics. The art was so detailed and by Jean and Mama's mannerism and facial expressions. I was able to enjoy this comic without giving a rat's ass about dialogue. Now is it something I want Marvel to do more of? Hell no but it really worked for this issue at least for me
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Many real people looks better than what Quitely draws
    Quitely’s Jean is perfection to me. See New X-men 121 and 126. Like I said, perfection.

I liked Quitely but he is polarizing with many thinking his art is ugly. I dare you to find anyone that thinks Dautermann’s art is anything but gorgeous. This issue was visually more appealling

BANNED

Dauterman art is less appealling now then it was some years ago.

None of his current stuff is as kinetic as this piece or his work on Cyclops solo. I guess the more subdued color palette don't help either.

Yeah. I'm not a fan of Quietly, but I absolutely get why he has fans. He's only artist I can recall whose friggin' layouts made me literally catch my breath.

Huge fan of Quietly and a huge fan of Dauterman. I guess it's nothing but win for me.