Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Medusa vs Godzilla

The Medusa of myth vs Godzilla from the most recent movie.

Extraordinary Member

IIRC you actually have to see Medusa's face to turn into stone.

Godzilla could just blast his atomic breath in Medusa's general direction without really looking at her and incinerate her that way.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

In classical mythology, her disembodied head turned Atlas, a freaking titan holding up the heavens on his shoulders, into stone. So yeah, that, combined with Godzilla's lack of transmutation resistance, means that the head would work just fine on big G. Whether what would work in a fight depends on many other factors.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

If he saw it, he would die.

Unless its IDW comic Godzilla. He would probably become more powerful and transform into a living volcano or some such.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    In classical mythology, her disembodied head turned Atlas, a freaking titan holding up the heavens on his shoulders, into stone. So yeah, that, combined with Godzilla's lack of transmutation resistance, means that the head would work just fine on big G. Whether what would work in a fight depends on many other factors.
    Yeah, but Perseus had to get REAL close to his face for it to work. I don't think Medusa is going to get close enough before Godzilla blasts everything in her general direction or just steps on her since she's human-sized.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    If he saw it, he would die.

Unless its IDW comic Godzilla. He would probably become more powerful and transform into a living volcano or some such.
    He'd actually turn to stone, but his anger would transform him into Stonezilla.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

One of Two Results:

1. Godzilla either steps on her or fries her to a crisp because he never noticed Medusa.

2. If Godzilla saw Medusa then he's a very big statue

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Yeah, but Perseus had to get REAL close to his face for it to work. I don't think Medusa is going to get close enough before Godzilla blasts everything in her general direction or just steps on her since she's human-sized.
    Not untrue, but it was also her DISEMBODIED head. Her blood created the poisonous snakes in Africa. Her tears, maybe, created the coral reefs in the seas. She's pretty hardcore, natural-disaster level, really.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Not untrue, but it was also her DISEMBODIED head. Her blood created the poisonous snakes in Africa. Her tears, maybe, created the coral reefs in the seas. She's pretty hardcore, natural-disaster level, really.
    Did the stone gaze have any contradictory feats showing that she could stone gaze from afar when she wasn't just a head? Going off of memory I can't think of any instance where she "shot" her gaze at someone far from her.

Could we rig up a giant hologram of medusa so that Godzilla sees the hologram, thus seeing her and then getting turned to stone?

Or a giant TV monitor?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Spectacular Member

Looking at Medusa's face in a mirror doesn't do anything, so I doubt that a hologram or TV would have the effect, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallman View Post
    Looking at Medusa's face in a mirror doesn't do anything, so I doubt that a hologram or TV would have the effect, either.
    This: it's specifically how Perseus beat her. Athena gave him a mirror polished shield so he watched through that and cut her head off with a magic sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    One of Two Results:

1. Godzilla either steps on her or fries her to a crisp because he never noticed Medusa.

2. If Godzilla saw Medusa then he's a very big statue
    This makes sense to me, and since Godzilla tends to not notice individual human-sized creatures, he will probably step on her or crisp her by accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R-rbzcEM8A

Astonishing Member

Medusa from Clash of the Titans might put up more of a challenge. I recall her stone gaze having decidedly looser range requirements.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    This makes sense to me, and since Godzilla tends to not notice individual human-sized creatures, he will probably step on her or crisp her by accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R-rbzcEM8A
    Depends on the movie. He has noticed humans at times and specifically fried some. Remember that executive who was on the island with him in WWII? G looked in the window, looked the executive in eye and fried him. Now if that was Medusa, G would be stoned.