Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Still, I can't help but wonder how much of a fan Kennedy is of Star Wars if she thinks it "lacks source material" (from the novels to the games to animation to comic books there has been plenty), seems like a stupid thing to say.
    It's not a stupid thing to say, since Star Wars movies never borrowed whole cloth from the comics. Lucas took some odds and ends, Couruscant and Ayla Secura, for example, but it was always modified; he just borrowed the name of the capital and used a piece of art as the basis for a background character. Disney-era LucasFilm has been more "respectful" to the tie-in then Lucas ever was.

Also, the EU is not the source material for the movies; the movies are the source material for the EU. That has always been how the Force works. The movies come first and everything follows. If anything, Kennedy is showing that she has a pretty good handle on things.

I'm of the mind most of the storylines could have stayed. There is a thirty-year freakin' gap between ROTJ and TFA. Heir to the Empire (or the Thrawn Trilogy) could have easily been incorporated (in some form) into the new canon, for example, especially given how Rebels ended.
    No, too much interconnectivity and alt-universe events. Besides, would it be better to have a messy continuity that was slowly rebooted in full over time, or a clean reboot that left both iterations intact and whole?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I've never felt the Kylo was treated as a joke.
    Pff, that actually made me chuckle.

Oh i don't know...man child who trows tantrums? Yes, check. Incompetent? Definitely check. An emo crybaby? Check, check, do you read me?

But yeah, never ever. Didn't happen at all. And that's why he's such a respected and loved character lol.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    It's not a stupid thing to say, since Star Wars movies never borrowed whole cloth from the comics. Lucas took some odds and ends, Couruscant and Ayla Secura, for example, but it was always modified; he just borrowed the name of the capital and used a piece of art as the basis for a background character. Disney-era LucasFilm has been more "respectful" to the tie-in then Lucas ever was.

Also, the EU is not the source material for the movies; the movies are the source material for the EU. That has always been how the Force works. The movies come first and everything follows. If anything, Kennedy is showing that she has a pretty good handle on things.

No, too much interconnectivity and alt-universe events. Besides, would it be better to have a messy continuity that was slowly rebooted in full over time, or a clean reboot that left both iterations intact and whole?
    It's still a stupid thing to say when the Disney era movies have borrowed material and used characters from the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It's still a stupid thing to say when the Disney era movies have borrowed material and used characters from the EU.
    Thing is, they're not required to. They have never been required to. In fact, the movies were never made to conform to the EU or build off their stories. Why are we complaining about it now?
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Thing is, they're not required to. They have never been required to. In fact, the movies were never made to conform to the EU or build off their stories. Why are we complaining about it now?
    Because someone actually said aloud what was only unspoken before: the EU doesn't really matter. It's never bothered me, so I don't understand the issue myself but that's the bones of the beef.

The post-ROTJ original EU had the conflict with the Empire's remnants go on far longer (around 15 years), several plotlines involving Han and Leia's three kids, and Luke build a relatively stable Jedi order. All three which didn't really fit with Disney's plans for the sequels.

If anything I think the sequel trilogy somewhat fits more a bit closely more with the Legacy comics in a few ways, which had a similar conflict to the OT like the new trilogy does, but with some interesting twists and turns.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Arrow

...No, too much interconnectivity and alt-universe events. Besides, would it be better to have a messy continuity that was slowly rebooted in full over time, or a clean reboot that left both iterations intact and whole?
    It depends upon the content of said "clean" reboot. The Empire falling in a year (as opposed to slowly disintegrating over roughly a decade as it did in Legends) does not seem plausible Palps' "contingency plan" be damned. Surely there would be regional hold outs in such a spawling polity. Guerilla warfare between the New Republic/Rebellion and the Imperial Remnant Warlords should have dragged on for years in parts of the Mid and Outer Rim if nowhere else.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-11-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Well, there are still some small holdouts such as those we've seen in Mandalorian, but the Imperial government system has largely collapsed. I think there's also mention of worlds still kind of governed by the Empire or chose to remain with that basic system but they're not allowed to have big fleets (Like some countries post the World Wars, for example). The First Order largely grew in secret.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Well, there are still some small holdouts such as those we've seen in Mandalorian, but the Imperial government system has largely collapsed. I think there's also mention of worlds still kind of governed by the Empire or chose to remain with that basic system but they're not allowed to have big fleets (Like some countries post the World Wars, for example). The First Order largely grew in secret.
    I do hope Episode Nine addresses where all the Imperial ships went. People have added up the numbers (from canon sources) and are baffled how many ships simply disappeared rather than being confirmed destroyed or seized. Logically speaking the remnants of the Imperial Navy should have remained a major power for years given its sheer numbers.

I do hope Episode Nine addresses where all the Imperial ships went. People have added up the numbers (from canon sources) and are baffled how many ships simply disappeared rather than being confirmed destroyed or seized. Logically speaking the remnants of the Imperial Navy should have remained a major power for years given its sheer numbers.
    How many were destroyed at Jakku?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

It's also possible that the First Order has some of those ships too. The Destroyers we've seen are not the whole fleet, so a few ISDs could be mixed in with the fleets that were conquering the rest of the galaxy while

Also we see several smaller, more old-school Walkers with only some minor changes next to the new Walkers in TLJ. It's possible this is old Imperial stuff that's been refurbished. For instance the First Order AT-STS are practically identical leg-wise to the ROTJ versions.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    How many were destroyed at Jakku?
    I'm not sure of the exact number but it was nowhere near the hundreds of even thousands of ships which should be left. I do wonder if the massive fleet of old school Star Destroyers seen in the trailer is made up of those missing ships.

I'm not sure of the exact number but it was nowhere near the hundreds of even thousands of ships which should be left. I do wonder if the massive fleet of old school Star Destroyers seen in the trailer is made up of those missing ships.
    Probably several dozen of them at least.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Because they do have material to draw from and it has been used in their own movies. To say that they don't is a blatant lie.

Because they do have material to draw from and it has been used in their own movies.
    Notice how it's all been little touches, never whole plots?

To say that they don't is a blatant lie.
    That's not how the tie-ins work, though.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)