Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Exclamation Marvel can't seem to do right by black characters

Perch makes some valid points.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

what are the highlights?

Extraordinary Member

Marvel hasn't done right by POC characters(not just one minority) for a long time.Haven't watched the whole thing yet but this isn't a new thing.But the problem is they write POC characters as "representation" instead of just characters.Legacy POC characters don't do anything for me, because it's just riding coattails of Straight white Males.Luke cage/Black Panther, etc. need more attention and well written OC POC characters that aren't just representation.

EDIT:-He's wrong about Storm IMO, best black character in MU.She's not the best she's ever been but she's great in Krakoa

And Miles Morales is succesful even though his solo isn't very special but it's decent, although that is also because of the Spider-man mantle he uses.

Synch is another black character that's been given attention

These comments get it IMO:-

"Marvel doesn't care about black readers enough to make good black characters. They just use them like they use us black people on Twitter: black characters in Marvel today are just treated as their "good deed for the day". "See, we made Iron Man a black girl! See how supportive of black people we are?" "Look, Black Spider-Man! Black Lives Matter, right guys?!"

Stop pretending you care about us, Marvel. Because of you did, you'd just make well written characters who just happen to be black. Write black characters with actual nuance and depth, instead of using them as your racial political soapbox. Black comics book fans, he'll ALL comics book fans, deserve great stories. Treat black characters with actual respect."

"First rule of writing black characters in present day: black characters cannot simply have fun or thrilling adventures; everything involving a black character MUST center around race and racism."

I said this on another thread a while back but I prefer reading Straight white characters because they are usually allowed to be written as just characters, as a POC it hurts when they say we're being represented in comics when it's so baseline and just for twitter brownie points.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 11-10-2021 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Marvel hasn't done right by POC characters(not just one minority) for a long time.Haven't watched the whole thing yet but this isn't a new thing.But the problem is they write POC characters as "representation" instead of just characters.Legacy POC characters don't do anything for me, because it's just riding coattails of Straight white Males.Luke cage/Black Panther, etc. need more attention and well written OC POC characters that aren't just representation.

EDIT:-He's wrong about Storm IMO, best black character in MU.She's not the best she's ever been but she's great in Krakoa

And Miles Morales is succesful even though his solo isn't very special but it's decent, although that is also because of the Spider-man mantle he uses.

Synch is another black character that's been given attention

These comments get it IMO:-

"Marvel doesn't care about black readers enough to make good black characters. They just use them like they use us black people on Twitter: black characters in Marvel today are just treated as their "good deed for the day". "See, we made Iron Man a black girl! See how supportive of black people we are?" "Look, Black Spider-Man! Black Lives Matter, right guys?!"

Stop pretending you care about us, Marvel. Because of you did, you'd just make well written characters who just happen to be black. Write black characters with actual nuance and depth, instead of using them as your racial political soapbox. Black comics book fans, he'll ALL comics book fans, deserve great stories. Treat black characters with actual respect."

"First rule of writing black characters in present day: black characters cannot simply have fun or thrilling adventures; everything involving a black character MUST center around race and racism."

I said this on another thread a while back but I prefer reading Straight white characters because they are usually allowed to be written as just characters, as a POC it hurts when they say we're being represented in comics when it's so baseline and just for twitter brownie points.
    Great post (although Perch never said Storm is a bad character rather he complained about how she has been treated, at least this is how I heard it), Spiderfan001.

I think, honestly, what it boils down to is that Marvel (and most companies) are afraid of the potential backlash involved with creating nuanced minority characters. They don't want the Twitter Mob coming after them so they play it safe not taking narrative chances, unlike with straight white characters. IMO, it is sad that we live in such a polarized climate of fear for both creatives and companies.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-10-2021 at 10:23 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It's too bad Marvel didn't make more efforts to save Mosaic.
    His solo series was quit good and the concept could make a nice MCU tv series.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

As a Black person they really DON'T... And they have good Black characters. Not to sound like those whining anti-diversity types but making Iron-Man, Captain America, Thor, etc, etc Black ain't cutting it. Where's my Blue Marvel, Monica Rambeau, Doctor Vooodoo, or Blade? And the STREETS %$*^ with Blade. Don't even get me started on how they treat Storm.

Anyways, really good video. Will finish when on my break.

Ultimate Member

I don't get some of these complaints, though. I don't get how woke politics or 'stealing from White heroes' is responsible for decades of racism.

Astonishing Member

I watched the video. I don't know. I mean some of the points seem valid. On the other hand I admit I don't have a clue what doing right by African American heroes actually means.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    It's too bad Marvel didn't make more efforts to save Mosaic.
    His solo series was quit good and the concept could make a nice MCU tv series.
    I’ll support a new book with this guy all day long
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Mighty Member

While I have issues with how Marvel has treated Black characters in general that was the least insightful video I have to listen to on this topic.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    While I have issues with how Marvel has treated Black characters in general that was the least insightful video I have to listen to on this topic.
    Exactly.

And all the talk about black characters solo series being about them being “black” is garbage. It’s false.

For all the criticisms of Coates BP, racism isn’t a prominent theme in the book. Same with Miles Morales. Most of Marvel’s minority titles are being written by minority creators for good or for bad.

I have no problem with criticizing Marvel regarding minority heroes but making up criticisms that originate from alt-right folks THAT DONT EVEN READ THE COMICS ain’t it.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-10-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

And all the talk about black characters solo series being about them being “black” is garbage. It’s false.

For all the criticisms of Coates BP, racism isn’t a prominent theme in the book. Same with Miles Morales.

I have no problem with criticizing Marvel regarding minority heroes but making up criticisms that originate from alt-right folks THAT DONT EVEN READ THE COMICS ain’t it.
    Exactly.

I've read almost all Marvel and DC comics that featured black superhero in the last decade and outside of Sam as Captain America, I cannot think of one where race and racism was the predominant feature.

Ultimate Member

Last point on this, I really do feel that Marvel should more with their minority characters, I have no problem saying that. And no, i don’t agree that Marvel have so many black characters that they aren’t featuring prominently. Yes, Marvel have a good number of black characters but a good chunk of them are supporting characters and when they are eventually upgraded folks still complain.

Theres a whole lot of racism and bigotry that’s entered the fandom and they’re really fighting against minority characters. We even have some POC echoing this nonsense which I find baffling. A lot of people don’t really want to see black characters have their own titles..period. Or even see them perform well.

Even when there’s no race bending or anything, there’s a virulent level of racism that’s really unsettling ever since comicsgate became a thing. I was around when folks tore into Mosaic and Marvel as a whole when the book was launched, it was troubling to watch.

That’s the last thing I’ll say on this though, a lot of people are racist and don’t want black led titles. Even when they are new characters, the same YouTube crowd that are addicted to Brie Larson will start crying about them again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Exactly.

I've read almost all Marvel and DC comics that featured black superhero in the last decade and outside of Sam as Captain America, I cannot think of one where race and racism was the predominant feature.

Well I read a recent Nighthawk series that I really liked that dealt a lot with racism. But apparently no one read it except me. I though it was a good book. I don't really know I am no expert on the comic industry but I am not sure its a simple as writing good stories. I wish it was. But they want to sell books. And however they can sell as many books as possible is the route they will take. I don't have a solution to that.