Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Welcome to The Outside: Outsiders Appreciation 2021

It's 2021, Welcome to the Outside!

"The world is going down the tubes, and her most beloved heroes are the worst-positioned people to do anything about it. Like it or not, you're elected to save the day -- and you're going to be hated for it."
    - Batman

~~~

Original incarnation created by: Mike W. Barr (writer) Jim Aparo (artist)

First appearance: The Brave and the Bold #200 (July 1983)

Latest Roster: Black Lightning (team leader), Katana, Lady Shiva, Batgirl, Signal, and Sofia Ramos; Batman* (benefactor)

last year was a pretty good year for the Outsiders. Bryan Hill's run on The Outsiders came to a close and, while not acclaimed, was largely well received. While I was left wanting, and annoyed at parts (I won't get into it, this the intro), I do think that it was a generally good if flawed run with a lot of really cool ideas. Bryan Hill, Dexter Soy, and Veronica Gandini did a solid job with The Outsiders (especially the art!) and it set the characters up with some interesting developments:
    • Black Lightning got some hype put on his name and "pushed the limits" of his power
    • Katana was revealed to be Homo Magi and unlocked her magical potential
    • Duke's powers were expanded
    • Cassandra seems to be on slightly better terms with her mother
    • and Shiva got a new protege in the form of Sofia Ramos

Now, unfortunately, the Outsiders were disbanded at the end of the run; for now! I say that because we have an all-new take on the Outsiders coming with Future State! so in honor of that, this is a thread in dedication and appreciation of The Outsiders!

What're your hopes for The Outsiders this year? me, my hope for them is obviously a relaunch, but it needs avoid the greatest sin of Hill's run: Batman. just have it be The Outsiders, go back to building the brand individually and as it's own unit. i think Black Lightning has earned absorbing the Outsiders into his corner of the DC universe. I would also love to see them start playing a bigger role in the wider DC landscape, not just miscellaneous international incidents. Outsiders is a perfect concept to explore the vast DC landscape of espionage, black ops operations, and metahuman affairs.

be nice, be civil, appreciate...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    At the end of the year, all Appreciation threads are closed and new threads for the coming year are put in place.

Appreciation threads are for just that - Appreciation. Not for debate, not for slamming and not for bringing other characters down by comparison.~

Commence appreciating! :-)
    Link to 2020 thread
    Link to 2019 thread
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-05-2021 at 10:42 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I hope the team can start operating independently from Batman again. I didn't like how the last team was so full of Bat-characters. Makes them all look second tier if their main hook is being Batman's team. Call the book Gotham Knights if that's the core concept.

Outsiders should be a covert Justice League, with high stakes international missions that the regular population can never know about.
    I want some power diversity and to feel like each member has their own rich mythology behind them.
    The concept has a lot of potential, but I think recent runs missed the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I hope the team can start operating independently from Batman again. I didn't like how the last team was so full of Bat-characters. Makes them all look second tier if their main hook is being Batman's team. Call the book Gotham Knights if that's the core concept.

Outsiders should be a covert Justice League, with high stakes international missions that the regular population can never know about.
    I want some power diversity and to feel like each member has their own rich mythology behind them.
    The concept has a lot of potential, but I think recent runs missed the mark.
    ...there were two. other than Batman himself, because he's not in the team, there were two bat-characters, both of which could easily work as heroes in the wider DC landscape if DC let anyone escape Batman's orbit. this title could've been the title to help them make that leap but nope, they spent too much time setting up for a battle that ended in two hits. honestly, the only Bat character that didn't belong there was Batman. the run had issues but, beyond Hill foregoing the team more and more to audition to write Batman as the series progressed, the roster itself wasn't one of them.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

First issue of Outsiders dropped and I gotta say, I kinda love it? like, I got to the end and I was so bummed that I have to wait two weeks, then I got profoundly sad that it's only two issues worth of story. Sumit Kumar absolutely killed it on art too!

Katana kicked all kinds of ass this and I love that he don't see/hear Maseo when she talks to him, it highlights that loneliness she's resigned herself to; I am bummed that Duke Thomas truly does look exactly the same (maybe slightly bigger?) but his role is so fascinating and I cant wait to see him in action next issue; and while my worst fear of Black Lightning just being all Dr. Blackhattan came true, I do like the idea that it's a curse and it's forced him into hiding. I don't know if DC plans on making Future State actually happen (from Death Metal, that seems like what either DC or Snyder wants to happen) or if they will just pluck it out of hypertime to make it it's own Earth/Multiverse, but I want to see more of this interpretation of the Outsiders and their story. can it be two weeks already! I'm even more stoked from Brandon Thomas' Outsiders in his Urban Legends story now.

currently following:

Happy New Year to the Outsiders .

Incredible Member

NM i found it
    Last edited by Customizer; 01-05-2021 at 10:10 AM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Am I the only one to miss Looker? ��
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    Am I the only one to miss Looker? ��
    No you are not .

I wish she had gotten more to do in Young Justice and wasn't treated as a villain in Black Lightning's show as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

First issue of Outsiders dropped and I gotta say, I kinda love it? like, I got to the end and I was so bummed that I have to wait two weeks, then I got profoundly sad that it's only two issues worth of story. Sumit Kumar absolutely killed it on art too!

Katana kicked all kinds of ass this and I love that he don't see/hear Maseo when she talks to him, it highlights that loneliness she's resigned herself to; I am bummed that Duke Thomas truly does look exactly the same (maybe slightly bigger?) but his role is so fascinating and I cant wait to see him in action next issue; and while my worst fear of Black Lightning just being all Dr. Blackhattan came true, I do like the idea that it's a curse and it's forced him into hiding. I don't know if DC plans on making Future State actually happen (from Death Metal, that seems like what either DC or Snyder wants to happen) or if they will just pluck it out of hypertime to make it it's own Earth/Multiverse, but I want to see more of this interpretation of the Outsiders and their story. can it be two weeks already! I'm even more stoked from Brandon Thomas' Outsiders in his Urban Legends story now.
    You're waiting a month, not two weeks. To be continued in issue 3. Issues 2 and 4 have different backups.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You're waiting a month, not two weeks. To be continued in issue 3. Issues 2 and 4 have different backups.
    yeah, Iunno why, but at some point my brain just deleted the fact that Future State is January and February. I forgot it's twice a month, not weekly. my sorrow deepens.

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    No you are not .

I wish she had gotten more to do in Young Justice and wasn't treated as a villain in Black Lightning's show as well.
    So many dropped balls. And her return to comics can't come fast enough.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

I've read Looker's appearances in Barr and Dixon's Outsiders and came out indifferent. What do people like about the character?

Katana variant cover for the Outsiders story in Urban Legends.

URBAN LEGENDS #2

written by CHIP ZDARSKY, MATTHEW ROSENBERG, BRANDON THOMAS, and CECIL CASTELLUCCI

art by EDDY BARROWS, RYAN BENJAMIN, MAX DUNBAR, and MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

cover by HICHAM HABCHI
    variant cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA
    variant cover by DERRICK CHEW
    PRESTIGE FORMAT | ON SALE 4/13/21
    $7.99 US | 64 PAGES | FC | DC

"The new Batman anthology series continues! in part two of Brandon Thomas and Max Dunbar’s epic Outsiders story, see Katana’s perspective on what brought the Outsiders to Japan, who wants her dead, and what her ultimate punishment will be for no longer having her husband’s spirit in the Soultaker sword."
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-15-2021 at 06:26 PM.

currently following:

what would be y'all perfect Outsiders team? and what would be their mission?

currently following:

I once had a pitch for the Outsiders that made them into the 'Justice League of Street Level Heroes'. This was way before Defenders and Netflix's Daredevil debuted. Though ironically enough it was inspired by the Marvel Knights. Though unlike Netflix's Defenders, they weren't about fighting men in business suits but it involved them banding together to take on threats that no single street level hero could handle. It was more Mission Impossible type thing with the team facing impossible odds and saving the world in secret often not getting the credit for it.

The team had:

Batman
    Black Lightning
    Katana
    Green Arrow
    Lady Blackhawk
    Black Canary

Though if I were to pitch it now, I would make it so the Magistrate had turned several cities into a police state so all the street level heroes had to band together to fight this threat.