View Poll Results: What's your favorite X-Men animated series?

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • X-Men (TAS)

139 55.82%
  • X-Men: Evolution

90 36.14%
  • Wolverine and the X-Men

45 18.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast
    BANNED

^ LOL @ her tripping for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelGM View Post
    X-Men The Animated Series and Batman The Animated Series were the 2 best Superhero TV shows ever made imo.
    I agree.

I enjoyed Evolution. The characters were all likable, but it was their own twist on them. Kitty was actually a good character. None of them got exhausted using their powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wissenschaft View Post
    I wateched TAS as a kid and it introduce me to the xmen. I don't know why so many say its aged poorly. I think the show is still great. Much like Batman TAS, this show was surprisingly mature. Just look at the season 1 last episode with the xmen clearly going on a suicide mission....in a kids show.

Sure, as an adult we can pick the show apart but compared to other kids shows these days (or even back in the 90s) I think TAS was more mature than people give it credit for.
    I agree with this 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    ^ LOL @ her tripping for no reason.
    Jean really does trip for no reason. It's hilarious.

I voted for TAS. It introduced me to the X-Men and I thoroughly enjoyed the show as a kid... and even as a young adult. I don't recall even trying to watch Evo though. Evo aired the year I graduated from HS and I had already given up on the X-Men comics by then. Also I was probably "too old" to seek out a cartoon show.

I was definitely too old for Wolverine and the X-Men.
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.

Personally my nostalgia feels will always place X-Men TAS first but I've seen the X-Men in all their animated versions starting with in the 80's and watching VHS tapes of them guest starring in those old stop motion type Marvel cartoons from the 60's to guest spots on Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends to Pryde of the X-Men so ranking it all.

The 60's Marvel was poor quality for the time so I don't have a fondness for that appearances.

The Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends were very hit and miss.

Pryde of the X-Men was good for it's time and Michael Ball as Cyclops was a treat.

X-Men TAS started strong with Night of the Sentinels then staggered that first season until the Bishop two parter and great finale. By season two it hit it's stride and became the most faithful transition of comics storylines to film for the X-Men.

X-Men Evolution like TAS had freshmen year problems but had a great finale and got better with Beast and the New Mutants being added season 2. It hit it's stride in Season 3 and was fantastic.

Wolverine and the X-Men had the most cohesive storyline and was good all the way through and deserved a season 2.

X-Men Anime was good and the animation was great but the Wolverine solo series was OK but I couldn't get past how young Logan looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    The one con I have against TAS, is it was one of the worst portrayals of Jean across any form of media. And the Dark Phoenix Saga episodes notwithstanding, another unpopular opinion but Phoenix was written just like regular Jean just with a better costume and access to more power which usually failed her.

It's worse I read that the writers were told that Jean and Beast specifically were not to be used in any prominent capacity which is ironic as Beast had one of the more developed character arcs.

That said I grew up watching TAS so it will always hold the number one spot in my heart, that and imho it translated what the X-men mean in the most organic, and comprehensive adaptation. Evo I believe is the most faithful to developing the X-men as characters more individually and as a team something TAS didn't always do. Evo also gave more characters voices in meaningful ways which later bought about change. WATX I loved when it initially debuted, and while aesthetically I think admire it, and dug the modern take, I think they had the opportunity to go farther than either of they're predecessors. And after reviewing it I think it failed in many aspects most the overt focus on Wolverine, and the others acting as glorified side-kicks. I appreciate what it was for the time, but it does remind me of the film franchise in that everything is built around Logan and little thought is put into how the situations you place the characters into will affect the actual characters in ways greater than superficial.
    Jean was powered downed in TAS, think the writers were saving her for the Phoenix storyline.

X-Men The Animated Series is kind of the bar from which all X-Men animated shows are judged. The later seasons of Evolution were fantastic and the lone season of Wolverine and the X-Men was pretty great. I do have a soft spot in my heart for Pryde of the X-Men, especially since it featured the Arcade version of the team - AND Dazzler!!!! I'm making a video series about each show and here's the first one. Hope you enjoy.

My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

I think the only reason I like Wolverine and the X-Men is because Emma Frost was part of the team. I was hoping that if they did a 2nd season that Jean would pull Emma's diamonds together just like she did in the comics and bring Emma back so they could continue on the same team in Season 2.

But the overemphasis on Wolverine was a bit annoying so X-Men TAS is better for giving the individual characters more development.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Evolution, WATXM, and the Anime series all hold up fairly well. There's some freshman roughness from Evolution, but the other two are both fairly strong series all around.

TAS takes too much beer to enjoy for me to call it good, but it's not all bad. Just a difficult watch as an adult much like Masters of the Universe, GI JOE or Transformers.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Personamanx, I totally hear you about TAS. And I mostly just pick and choose a few episodes to enjoy from there.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

TAS was entertaining at the time and turned many famous comic book arcs into animation so it should win points for that. When it was good it was very good but it also had it's share of bad. It's also a bit cheesy these days and has not stood the test of time like Batman TAS or Spider-Man.

Evolution had an original take on the X Men more geared to kids but got better as it went on. Season 1 is awful but 2-4 are worth a watch. I liked a lot of the characters introduced, X-23,Their take on Wanda was neat and so on. Goth Rogue was kinda goofy and Spyke was annoying but I think they managed some good storylines. Why no Magik in New Mutants though? Shame.

Wolverine & The X Men went for the more modern,edgy approach of the comics at the time but I still think it tries too hard. Also too bloated with various mutant cameos that lead to nothing interesting. Did introduce some characters like Emma Frost and Domino into the cast though so that was neat. The whole thing felt like an advertisement for all the comics that were running at the time, I half expected them to list what comics the characters can be found in and tell you to buy them. Probably would have benefited from a season 2 with more direction and less roster bloat.

X Men anime has Armor....And it's an anime. That's about it.
    In protest against Marvel's constant ignoring of Surge.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baltiroo View Post
    Personamanx, I totally hear you about TAS. And I mostly just pick and choose a few episodes to enjoy from there.
    Yeah, you have to pick out the good ones. Even still there's bound to be rough stuff in most episodes but you can have fun with the series if you know what you're going into, and in the right mindset. I own all of the DVDs, they didn't get much play after the first re-watch but it's certainly not the worst cartoon I've bought on DVD in the past.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Wolverine and the X-men was the best of these three series although TAS holds a special place in my heart bc its what I grew up on. Parts of it however have not aged well. I overall liked Evolution but it came out when I was in college and wasnt watching much animated tv so I didnt see the whole series, even to this day

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Evolution, WATXM, and the Anime series all hold up fairly well. There's some freshman roughness from Evolution, but the other two are both fairly strong series all around.

TAS takes too much beer to enjoy for me to call it good, but it's not all bad. Just a difficult watch as an adult much like Masters of the Universe, GI JOE or Transformers.
    I can't disagree with that.

I think with the 90s cartoons I mostly go back to F4 season 2.

I guess Wolverine and the X-Men is better for fans around our age.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 04-03-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by baltiroo View Post
    Nice.

10char
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I love them all, it’s a tough call.

I think TAS has earned its rightful reputation but evolution and watxm are so underrated. I wish we would have gotten more seasons of the latter.

I snubbed evolution for years because when I looked at it, I thought it was garbage compared to TAS. But after an xmen craving for new content encouraged me to watch it, I was surprised by how good it was.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Totally objectively, if all of them came out at the same time, etc., Wolverine and the X-Men is the best one.