Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Avengers 43 *Spoilers*

The Illuminati confront Tony in his box before Rogers and the others arrive after the Cabal was apparently destroyed.

Tony went to Steve in the past (which we know) but that was the reason the rest were being hunted.

T'Challa breaks the box so that "Tony can die for something" which is what Tony wants.

Gladiator tells Earth they will destroy it in2 hours but they are sorry for it.

Reed says that while he is smarter than Tony, Tony's the world's greatest multitasker and automated the World Killer they stole from the Builders.

The Illuminati prepare to use the Rogue planet after getting the controller from Tony who is on his way to Sol's Hammer.

The beginning exposition is a little confusing... I thought Steve and the SHIELD avengers started hunting the Illuminati right after Rogers "remembered" being in the Illuminati and his Time Gem journey in Avengers 29-34. It supposedly wasn't until later that Tony met with Rogers to try and reconcile...then he went off to fight the Cabal and got his ass handed to him...

Maybe when Tony came clean to Rogers he revealed the whereabouts of the Illuminati?
    Last edited by Biclopcicle; 04-01-2015 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    The beginning exposition is a little confusing... I thought Steve and the SHIELD avengers started hunting the Illuminati right after Rogers "remembered" being in the Illuminati and his Time Gem journey in Avengers 29-34. It supposedly wasn't until later that Tony met with Rogers to try and reconcile...then he went off to fight the Cabal and got his ass handed to him
    There was Axis and so on in between, where Steve continued working with Tony for some reason. No, it doesn't make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    The beginning exposition is a little confusing... I thought Steve and the SHIELD avengers started hunting the Illuminati right after Rogers "remembered" being in the Illuminati and his Time Gem journey in Avengers 29-34. It supposedly wasn't until later that Tony met with Rogers to try and reconcile...then he went off to fight the Cabal and got his ass handed to him
    I haven't read this issue, but we know Rogers didn't immediately hunt the Illuminati down because Original Sin proper and Axis happened and Steve and Tony were still working together then.

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    I haven't read this issue, but we know Rogers didn't immediately hunt the Illuminati down because Original Sin proper and Axis happened and Steve and Tony were still working together then.

Well, I'll just leave it at that. I have no desire to read Axis right now.

I was ready to dislike this issue, as I felt it would be mostly padding as we waited for the finale but it was actually pretty decent.
    Looks like this last arc will focus solely on the attack on Earth.
    I take it this means we won't see the final incursion until the last page of the last Avengers issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    I was ready to dislike this issue, as I felt it would be mostly padding as we waited for the finale but it was actually pretty decent.
    I take it this means we won't see the final incursion until the last page of the last Avengers issue.
    I'm actually pretty sure in an interview they said that the incursion didn't happen until Secret Wars #1.

I'm actually pretty sure in an interview they said that the incursion didn't happen until Secret Wars #1.
    Figures. Kinda dissapointing. I was really hoping 616 would really end with the last Avengers issue.

So we found out what happened to Tony, but still a lot of unanswered questions. I know there's a thread for that... Looks like if we get those answers, it won't be until SW (how did Doom become RA? How did Strange find the black priests? Why was he speaking Black Priest Words of Power prior to his encounter with the Great Society, but didn't use them in the conflict? What is the origin of the black Priests? Etc etc... ).

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    I'd hoped that would play out too before the end, and it still might, but I do seem to recall reading Secret Wars 1 would open with it.

I too was prepared to be disappointed, but we've seen a lot of call backs. The Builder ship the Illuminati stole, Sol's Anvil, the Rogue planet, etc. I'm pumped and looking forward to the end playing out.

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

The only thing I found particularly shocking/ interesting in this issue was that Pod actually got to speak!

Other than that I thought it was a pretty lackluster issue. Too much build-up is getting really tedious.

I think that was a continuity glitch, because in the Avengers and New Avengers books Steve started hating on the Illuminati from the second he remembered the Incursion stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    I think that was a continuity glitch, because in the Avengers and New Avengers books Steve started hating on the Illuminati from the second he remembered the Incursion stuff.
    Yes, it was, since at the end of Avengers #34, after getting back from the future, he announces his intention to pull all the Avengers into the hunt for them right away.

However, that's hale and hearty super-soldier serum Steve saying that, and then we got all the rest of Original Sin, and the Captain America arc with the Iron Nail removing the serum and turning him into old Steve, and then Axis with old Steve and FalcCap working closely with Tony, and all of these things must have happened after #34 before Steve still has the serum at that point. So, something must have changed his mind about hunting vs. working with Tony for a while, but it doesn't sound like we get an explanation of what.

Either that, or ignore Captain America and Axis and say only what happens in Hickman's own books counts.

BANNED

K
    Quote Originally Posted by celeherald View Post
    The Illuminati confront Tony in his box before Rogers and the others arrive after the Cabal was apparently destroyed.

Tony went to Steve in the past (which we know) but that was the reason the rest were being hunted.

T'Challa breaks the box so that "Tony can die for something" which is what Tony wants.

Gladiator tells Earth they will destroy it in2 hours but they are sorry for it.

Reed says that while he is smarter than Tony, Tony's the world's greatest multitasker and automated the World Killer they stole from the Builders.

The Illuminati prepare to use the Rogue planet after getting the controller from Tony who is on his way to Sol's Hammer.
    If the Illuminati broke Tony out of his box, then that would make everything more difficult for them considering Steve and the others.
    Last edited by Cmbmool; 04-01-2015 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Either that, or ignore Captain America and Axis and say only what happens in Hickman's own books counts.
    Considering that's all I'm reading from Marvel right now, I'm totally fine with that.

It's also possible that there's an enemy of my enemy thing going here where Steve comes back mad as hell but conflicted. IIRC Future Hawkeye had advocated straight up killing Tony. Steve might have felt like he didn't know what exactly to do with Tony and the Illuminati until some other crystallizing event happens.

What we really need here is a one shot analog to Civil War:Casualties of War. That story did a really great job of continuity fix explaining how Cap and Iron Man end up where they are in Civil War.