Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    It is funny how the defenders/spin doctors assume that people holding BvS accountable means they didn't like it. JL's performance could be for a multitude of reasons, BUT BvS's reception definitely isn't one of them despite legitimate evidence to the contrary.
    You really think that the direct sequel to BvS and the fact that BvS let many people down had no effect? Transformers were never known for their quality and the box office recipts finally caught up to match the quality of the film.

People were burned out and everyone was cautious because they didn't want to be let down again. Thats why JL's hype levels weren't as big as Thor Ragnarok. And when the reviews came in and social media generally said it wasn't bad and it was just meh, it was the final nail for those on the fence of watching the film.

But its not the end all be all factor, marketing wasn't as engaging as SS or BvS. To deny BvS' impact is just foolish. I saw so many comments online and heard in real life people being "cautious" and waiting till reviews came in or a friends review of the film before they saw it. But again, its not the end all be all factor.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    It's an oversimplification to point fingers at BvS, or the critics or Snyder or Whedon or WB or to the release timing or bad CGI or the hundreds of other possible reasons JL isn't doing well. Isn't it possible that it, may... Just may...Be a little of all of the above?
    Just saying.
    Yes it is an oversimplification. There are a lot of reasons. Imo one is marketing. (Which idiot thought it is good to hide Superman? Civil War showed Spider-man. It adds value. And there are more problems in marketing then simply 'hiding' Superman). The bad press about behind the scenes troubles is another. Reshoots and all. There are more factors which combined to work against JL. But i do think that one of the most important factors, probably the most important factor which hurt it is BvS. No scratch that i think its BvS which is the most important factor. The performance of BvS is in the levels of franchise ending films.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinemati...w_this_stacks/

Please read the first comment. I find that it makes sense.

And those who are trying to say superhero fatigue have no figures or numbers to back this up. Each superhero film over performed this year save for JL. And i don't think the loss of novelty is a factor here. That people had already seen Avengers are not interested in Justice League. Avengers keep earning 1 billion without a problem. Civil War earned over a billion. It was the highest earning Captain America film. Helped by the fact that its basically Avengers 2.5. Novelty loss may mean it would not get 200 million opening weekend. Maybe 170 million at worst 150 million dollars. The same month had two heroes team up. Hulk and Thor. Audiences are not bored with more heroes in film. There's nothing to substantiate this claim. Thor 3 earned more then any of its previous installments. It earned 122 million dollars in its opening weekend. Am i to believe that Justice League would not be able to earn 135 million? A film with Batman and Wonder Woman and Co. You've got to be kidding me.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 11-22-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Which interview? Because I've yet to hear that, but it's known that WB wanted to kill Superman in a movie for years.
    http://collider.com/batman-v-superma...ustice-league/

And while Warner's wanted to do the Death Of Superman storyline they never wanted to kill Superman before Justice League.

Pa Kent was the worst character of DCEU, he was saved by Costner's acting.

Jonathan Kent: You have to keep this side of yourself a secret.

Clark Kent: What was I supposed to do? Let them die?

Jonathan Kent: Maybe...

Seriously? This is the guy who raised Superman?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post

Don’t forget the great way he died!

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    They really need to praise Kevin Costner's great acting made it believable and ignore how terrible the characterization was.

I love MOS a lot, but really hate this. Pa Kent should be someone who would immediately swim down to save those kids and be happy about how Clark has used his power for good purpose. Only such a role model could raise Kal El into Superman.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Yeah how they didn't bring in the female furies is the real disappointment. They have no idea what they're doing. I just hope we get cheetah in the sequel
    It won't happen but I'd like the SS sequel with Faora and Black Manta tying this universe together. Faora could put Harley in traction and maybe then I'd get a Squad movie resembling the SS comics (Nope, N52 SS doesn't count).

They really need to praise Kevin Costner's great acting made it believable and ignore how terrible the characterization was.

I love MOS a lot, but really hate this. Pa Kent should be someone who would immediately swim down to save those kids and be happy about how Clark has used his power for good purpose. Only such a role model could raise Kal El into Superman.
    I remember being so psyched when I learned Kevin Costner was cast as Pa Kent and I was so disappointed when I saw MoS because this is hands done my least liked Pa Kent outside of George Reeves' Adventures of Superman simply because that Ma and Pa where only in the pilot. But Superman 78, Superboy Series, Lois and Clark, Smallville, and all animated versions rank higher and its not because of KC just the characterization of Jonathan.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Troian View Post
    You really think that the direct sequel to BvS and the fact that BvS let many people down had no effect? Transformers were never known for their quality and the box office recipts finally caught up to match the quality of the film.

People were burned out and everyone was cautious because they didn't want to be let down again. Thats why JL's hype levels weren't as big as Thor Ragnarok. And when the reviews came in and social media generally said it wasn't bad and it was just meh, it was the final nail for those on the fence of watching the film.
    I actually believe the opposite. I was joking about the BvS defenders in my post. They would have people believe that BvS had no effect on JL's reception. There are absolutely many variables. I am in the group that thinks BvS's reception was by far the biggest factor. JL was going to need critical scores of roughly 70% or higher to offset BvS's reception. Given Snyder's track record with critics that seemed doubtful.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    Credit where credit is due. The guy stood by his convictions when it was his own life on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Credit where credit is due. The guy stood by his convictions when it was his own life on the line.
    Maybe so but "the guy" was not Jonathan Kent.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

He said "maybe." A word that by definition suggests a lack of certainty. Everything about his tone of voice and body language made it pretty obvious he didn't really mean what he said. He was a father who had a moment of selfishness in which he prioritized his own son's welfare over anyone else's. Just like EVERY half-decent father would.

Bottom line? Clark continued to help people long after that talk, so clearly Jonathan didn't continue to discourage him.

Jonathan Kent was definitely Jonathan Kent in a realistic world in which ANY effort is made to acknowledge the likely dangers an alien child would face on this planet. The "classic" Jonathan Kent who encouraged his son to go around brazenly showing off his alien nature to the world can pretty much only exist in a Sliver Age world, populated by a very different human race than the one that inhabits this planet.

With regard to his death? We have not one scrap of evidence that Clark had superspeed at that time. Even if he DID have superspeed, you'll notice that every time he used it in the movie, he tore up the local scenery? There is no reason, based on observation, to believe that Clark COULD have saved him without harming him and/or exposing himself to the world.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Oh please. Hippolyta does far worse when it comes to discouraging Diana's heroism yet I don't see anyone dubbing her worse parent of the year. Jonathan's words never went beyond "think before you leap" while Hippolyta flat out threatened to banish Diana for defying her

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Oh please. Hippolyta does far worse when it comes to discouraging Diana's heroism yet I don't see anyone dubbing her worse parent of the year. Jonathan's words never went beyond "think before you leap" while Hippolyta flat out threatened to banish Diana for defying her
    Ehhhh. In fairness, it's not clear Hippolyta threatened to banish her. In JL, Diana mentioned that the Amazons can't leave Paradise Island. Or at least she doesn't think they can. Hippolyta's words may not have been so much a threat and more a warning. "If you leave, you can't come back regardless of my feelings."

Now, the fact that Hippolyta used her royal authority to try to prevent Diana from ever learning even basic self-defense and to forbid Diana from even discussing going after Ares was pretty bad. As was her snapping at Diana and telling her that she wasn't an Amazon.

So, yeah. Hippolyta? Not exactly Parent of the Century either.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

In addition to Jonathan Kent and Hippolyta, we now also have Henry Allen and Dr. Silas Stone.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014