Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sandfall View Post
    Stephen Hawkings once said if time travel was possible how come there are no time travellers here already.
    if god loves, man kills can be written today why is it not been written today?
    You are seriously comparing time travel paradox with the topic at hand?

Also, read the post just above yours.

BANNED

Stephen Hawkings once said if time travel was possible how come there are no time travellers here already.
    Copyright laws.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    You are seriously comparing time travel paradox with the topic at hand?

Also, read the post just above yours.

I can't find anywhere I used an identical twin comparison. the book would not have been published today. Many have already mentioned the reasons. Disney, lack of maturity in the writing, backlash from the religious right. We are heavily in a political tense and SJW brave new world, its not just in movies but in comics.

I can't find anywhere I used an identical twin comparison. the book would not have been published today. Many have already mentioned the reasons. Disney, lack of maturity in the writing, backlash from the religious right. We are heavily in a political tense and SJW brave new world, its not just in movies but in comics.
    Oh for god's sake, we had Secret Empire just a few months ago.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Because it was written earlier.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Because it's already written today, you can buy it off of Amazon. Nice try.

If it never existed, it could be written but people would b*tch and moan on places like Facebook, Twitter and CBR.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by milton75 View Post
    Do you mean "you can't attack the belief or the belief system" in that it is practically difficult to do so because of the backlash it causes, or that it is morally problematic for us to attack belief systems?
    I was referring to the market backlash in this hypersensitive day and age. An author can write anything that she or he chooses, but brace yourself for the fallout, especially if you're challenging faith-based principles and conceptualization. There can be no credible challenge to true omnipotence, but I have a few devout relatives who obviously believe otherwise. One Thanksgiving we had a rather animated discussion on the matter. The food went cold and largely untouched, but the exchange was very heated!

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I was referring to the market backlash in this hypersensitive day and age. An author can write anything that she or he chooses, but brace yourself for the fallout, especially if you're challenging faith-based principles and conceptualization. There can be no credible challenge to true omnipotence, but I have a few devout relatives who obviously believe otherwise. One Thanksgiving we had a rather animated discussion on the matter. The food went cold and largely untouched, but the exchange was very heated!
    Well they do say never discuss religion or politics with friends and family. We can only imagine the backlash that God Loves Man Kills would have it it came out today, but we have all seen plenty of similar backlash, so we can certainly guess. But I would like to think it wouldn't generate death threats.

X Gon' Give It to Ya Dum Dum Dugan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    We literally just had an entire book about Icemans sexuality
    No, we had a book about Iceman, who's gay.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well they do say never discuss religion or politics with friends and family. We can only imagine the backlash that God Loves Man Kills would have it it came out today, but we have all seen plenty of similar backlash, so we can certainly guess. But I would like to think it wouldn't generate death threats.
    It would surprise me if there weren't death threats. That is, unfortunately, the America that we live in. We don't tolerate divergent opinions and viewpoints well in this country.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider
    That would be a great story to write, and could be an excellent treatise on some of the more hypocritical or (at least) narratively inconsistent aspects of the X-Men franchise --- the marginalization of black males in particular and people of color in general in a series based on fighting to overcome bigotry and xenophobia, however allegorical, the uncomfortable fact that most of the X-Men can pass for regular, if especially physically attractive and fit, humans and sequester themselves in a mansion loaded with extremely advanced technology to live an otherwise comfortable existence. I would say, though, that superpowers unfortunately don't translate into political power, especially when political power is wielded largely by those who are actively antagonistic toward those with superpowers, or else the X-Men really would have a much easier time of things. Beyond that, you do have a really great premise here and it's one I'd love to see in the actual comics one day
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar
    Okay I just want to say wow. This sounds like an X-Men story truly worth reading if ever it were written.
    Thanks Guys! I'm probably in the wrong business, but what I do is lucrative so I'm stuck. Writing is kind of an all in gig, but I honestly believe that... I believe that many of the best stories are
    right there in front of us, but people are afraid to or unable to write them.

Bishop did have a romance with Deathbird although it ended bitterly. And Synch briefly dated M. But having said that, your larger point definitely stands.
    Thanks. It's best to keep people honest
    but ... fear of Black Male heterosexuality has always been a constant in the u.s. and I get irked because it often easier to say "Well Wutabout!" and deflect the issue whenever it comes up. Thats not to say that other minorities
    and women don't deserve spotlight or attention just that the desire to dodge that bullet seems to be the strongest.

No, we had a book about Iceman, who's gay
    No you're thinking of dc's The Midnighter a book about the midnighter, who's gay. You'd do well to compare the 2 to understand what I'm describing, and for perspective at least on the OTHER reasons that book is widely disliked instead of the obvious one. Or not. I don't care.

Thread topic. When we're talking about God Love Man Kills, its a book written in 1982. So it was great and brave because we had a pretty monolithic silent majority, no way we'd have gotten an Obama elected, or a Hilary winning the popular vote.

I posit though that it went against the most popular politics at the time.

So ITT are we just talking about writing a book that takes a shot at Politics that we don't like?

See if you're clamoring for a book like this written today consider that writing a book about:

Radical islam and their superhuman population.
    A telepath turning people heterosexual... for ideology or for a cost.
    A book that says "Wakanda" has walls and accepts no immigration why should we.
    A Mexican Cartel supervillian running the southwestern drug trade highly successfully.
    A Story that actively and strongly presents the arguments AGAINST gun control.
    Anything that supports Patriotism without becoming a meme.

Would be received by many of us as Infuriating, but GLMK 2: Islam Edition? If we're not willing to see a book that challenges the conceptions we love and support then honestly... the quest isn't for challenging political
    commentary in comics. Its for propaganda in comics that strengthens our already subset of beliefs.

GLMK told a narrative that some people (probably evangelicals) would find objectionable, and you should consider "Would you want a book written that tells a story that YOU find objectionable we're your pet beliefs have a hammer taken
    to them... I'm not so sure.

I just crossed my mind that the op is saying "Politics have always been in comics" and to an extent GLMK's was exceptionally brave because it went against the zietgeist of the era. Most of us do not want to see a book that goes against our zietgeist, because most of us have decided "I"m 100% correct in my beliefs". Food for thought.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

No you're thinking of dc's The Midnighter a book about the midnighter, who's gay. You'd do well to compare the 2 to understand what I'm describing, and for perspective at least on the OTHER reasons that book is widely disliked instead of the obvious one. Or not. I don't care.
    So there's only one way to write a gay guy, got it. It's not like they're two completely different characters with different relationships and problems.

And both series lasted the same amount of issues, so I don't know why you're pretending Iceman would have been more successful if it had been more like Midnighter.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dum Dum Dugan View Post
    So there's only one way to write a gay guy, got it. It's not like they're two completely different characters with different relationships and problems.

And both series lasted the same amount of issues, so I don't know why you're pretending Iceman would have been more successful if it had been more like Midnighter.
    You're the one who came in trying (and failing) to correct someone/me. Just between you and me though... it was a passing comment... I don't actually care about what you
    seem to care about. If you're looking for a tree to climb you've found a bush. Either way I'll just agree to disagree with you. (bobby's book sucked... in addition Lgbt leveled hatred.)
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    You're the one who came in trying (and failing) to correct someone/me. Just between you and me though... it was a passing comment... I don't actually care about what you
    seem to care about. If you're looking for a tree to climb you've found a bush. Either way I'll just agree to disagree with you. (bobby's book sucked... in addition Lgbt leveled hatred.)
    Sorry, it just seemed like you were complaining about gay people having more representation, especially since you've admitted to being antigay before.

Maybe you shouldn't have made a passing comment linking Marvel's only ongoing series to feature a gay male lead to Bishop not having a love life because people are afraid of black male heterosexuality.
    Last edited by Dum Dum Dugan; 02-16-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Sure. Today is a better time to tell a story like that than ever.