Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Well, I agree with the posters who have said things about price. Ms. Marvel was $2.99 for a year before the price went up. I think new readers would be more willing to try different books if they didn't cost so much. $5 for a single issue, even for a first issue, is atrocious.

Though, if I had my way, I would bring back richard rider in an All-New All Different Nova title where's he's flying around exploring space. I've got nothing against Sam, but I'm just not interested in him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nose norton View Post
    I read the first issue, but couldn't determine whether they were trying to sell this as earth-616 or not.
    Well, from what I know, it's 616, just set in the early days and telling some "untold stories". There were other Spider-Man books that functioned like that, most of the stories were retreads with newer art, but there were some original stuff in there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    Here's the position I'm personally in, and I don't think it's that rare.

I used to love the X-Men. I was a big fan for years... ever since I was little. I am currently not buying a single X-Book. I hate that there's nothing coming out of that franchise that I want to read anymore.

... so it's easy to wish to go back to a time when the writers were producing stories you loved... to go back to a reliable, known quantity... rather than crossing your fingers and hoping somebody new will fix it. (As the 'new magic' may have driven you away from the title in the past.)

(And don't forget... I think nostalgia is a very, very, very powerful force in comic fandom.)
    This is why 90% of my reading is done on Marvel Unlimited Now.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Well, from what I know, it's 616, just set in the early days and telling some "untold stories". There were other Spider-Man books that functioned like that, most of the stories were retreads with newer art, but there were some original stuff in there as well.
    Spidey is just like the X-Men first class book.
    Even if it is supposed to be in the canon Universe it is hard to believe that what happen there is the canon.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    I'm not saying going from one straight white writer to another is the ONLY thing I'd want to change. Just the first thing is getting Lemire of Extraordinary. Who is a really good writer, and can be considered "new magic", but has proven to not be great fit for the X-Men. Just like Brubaker. And it's not like Gillen was on X-Men spinning his wheels for years and years. Not as long as Bendis on Avengers or Morrison on New X-Men. I'm not familiar with these other writers you're suggesting and wasn't that impressed with Willow specifically. (And strongly disagreed with some of Lui's choices).
    i really think the problem of the X-books are not the writers but the editorial.
    We can switch as many writers as we want but if the bill of specifications keeps enduring the same cycle nothing will change.
    Last edited by ian0delond; 06-14-2016 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    Spidey is just like the X-Men first class book.
    Even if it is supposed to be in the canon Universe it is hard to believe that what happen there is the canon.

i really think the problem of the X-books are not the writers but the editorial.
    We can switch as many writers as we want but if the bill of specifications keeps enduring the same cycle nothing will change.
    Yeah, I think that an editorial change would also be needed for the x-books.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

One thing I'd change:

Start/Stop/Renumber & Start again
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

BANNED

That's what I thought, but unlike UToS, they aren't even trying to adhere to continuity, in the slightest.

No More BENDIS!

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

It's a "High School" book, and as I said above, I don't consider that a "traditional" Spider-Man book.
    You can't get anymore traditional than Spider-Man being a high school student.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    You can't get anymore traditional than Spider-Man being a high school student.
    That's what most people think, but Peter was out of High School and joined college in issue 31. Then he stayed there for a while, but around issue 250-300, he was out of there as well. "Classic" Spider-Man being in High School is a common misconception due to the cartoons and the movies, but for most of his career, he was a young adult, not a teenager. So, yeah, I've got no interest in "Spider-Teen". A traditional Spider-Man book is considered, by most anyway, to be set in NY, featuring an adult Peter, having some problems but not acting like a man-child, taking on brightly costumed super-villains and being an average joe. And in the last few years, we've gotten everything but that.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    Here's the position I'm personally in, and I don't think it's that rare.

I used to love the X-Men. I was a big fan for years... ever since I was little. I am currently not buying a single X-Book. I hate that there's nothing coming out of that franchise that I want to read anymore.

... so it's easy to wish to go back to a time when the writers were producing stories you loved... to go back to a reliable, known quantity... rather than crossing your fingers and hoping somebody new will fix it. (As the 'new magic' may have driven you away from the title in the past.)

(And don't forget... I think nostalgia is a very, very, very powerful force in comic fandom.)
    The only X-title I'm getting right now is All-New Wolverine (and the fact that the only X-title I'm getting is a goddamn Wolverine title says a lot about how good that book is), though part of that is admittedly a grudge against Hopeless for Avengers Arena. If it wasn't for that, I'd be getting ANXM.

So I get dissatisfaction with the current direction. But at the same time, it's not like writers returning to books they used to write have always been great, either. Pretty much all of Claremont's returns to the X-Men franchise have been underwhelming at best.

So why not try a writer who is genuinely different from the previous writers? I feel like we should be encouraging Marvel to give bigger shots to creators who are women and people of colour, because their viewpoints will be inherently different from those of white guys. And given the X-Men franchise is built on a metaphor for marginalized groups, why not get someone actually from a marginalized group to write that story?

Extraordinary Member

That's what most people think, but Peter was out of High School and joined college in issue 31. Then he stayed there for a while, but around issue 250-300, he was out of there as well. "Classic" Spider-Man being in High School is a common misconception due to the cartoons and the movies, but for most of his career, he was a young adult, not a teenager. So, yeah, I've got no interest in "Spider-Teen". A traditional Spider-Man book is considered, by most anyway, to be set in NY, featuring an adult Peter, having some problems but not acting like a man-child, taking on brightly costumed super-villains and being an average joe. And in the last few years, we've gotten everything but that.
    A lot of comics seem to revert back to the status quo of the earliest issues, even if they weren't any good. Of course the Lee/Ditko Spider-Man is good, but because they came first, a lot of people think of that as the "real" Spider-Man, even though the Lee/Romita staus quo (Peter as a young man with a decent love life) lasted a lot longer.

That's how we get all those stories about the original X-Men from the '60s, even though those stories were not actually popular; that's how we get so many tellings and re-tellings about the original Avengers, even though the comic didn't start to get good until the lineup was completely overhauled; that's why so many Defenders stories go back to the original four even though the Defenders improved after Namor and the Silver Surfer left the team. For that matter that's why so many Batman re-tellings have him as a lone crimefighter without Robin, even though Robin was introduced very soon after Batman began. Chronology may be even more powerful than nostalgia; "first instalment wins" is almost the rule.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    A lot of comics seem to revert back to the status quo of the earliest issues, even if they weren't any good. Of course the Lee/Ditko Spider-Man is good, but because they came first, a lot of people think of that as the "real" Spider-Man, even though the Lee/Romita staus quo (Peter as a young man with a decent love life) lasted a lot longer.

That's how we get all those stories about the original X-Men from the '60s, even though those stories were not actually popular; that's how we get so many tellings and re-tellings about the original Avengers, even though the comic didn't start to get good until the lineup was completely overhauled; that's why so many Defenders stories go back to the original four even though the Defenders improved after Namor and the Silver Surfer left the team. For that matter that's why so many Batman re-tellings have him as a lone crimefighter without Robin, even though Robin was introduced very soon after Batman began. Chronology may be even more powerful than nostalgia; "first instalment wins" is almost the rule.
    Yup. Lots of folks just point to the start of the character as the "classic" version, which is more often than true false, since "classic" is what lasted longer in the early days, in Spider-Man's case, being a young adult. Sigh, I sure have missed reading a good Spider-Man book every month. Gone are the days of Scarlet Spider, Web of Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man and the like...

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I would move all the mutants over to their own alternate Earth where they are the only superpowered beings so they could actually tell real stories again instead of the constant cycle of garbage they have been locked into for the last 10 years. Everyone would have their history intact except all their memories would be changed so that they would think they have always been on this version of Earth and have no memory of people from the main Marvel Earth. I would leave a handfull of them with the truth and the ability to travel back and forth for very short periods of time, but they would know that for the truth to every fully come out it would destroy everything.

This would free up both the mutants and the Inhumans to really live up to their full potential.

BANNED

That's what most people think, but Peter was out of High School and joined college in issue 31. Then he stayed there for a while, but around issue 250-300, he was out of there as well.
    ASM #243 to be precise.