Page 657 of 661 FirstFirst ... 157557607647653654655656657658659660661 LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,855 of 9901

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Bird of Qin, Ou Ki View Post
    Was Haurvatat purely a ki-based ability? He... had no idea. The effect seemed more like something magical, to him, but then... esoteric effects weren't impossible to create with ki, just more difficult. He really should have asked.

'I.. forgot to ask. Was too busy trying to figure out the technique and not drown, but it... works, somehow. I did learn that Haurvatat means 'wholeness' or 'perfection' so I have an idea on how to modify and improve the technique.'

The nature of the technique was odd, so actually trying to modify it--while he was using it, at that--was going to take some time. He could do it, though--after all, he'd created the Void Lens in like a day, and the Void Tunnel, its basis, wasn't an easy technique to learn.

Totoma raised his head and noticed something ahead--Capital City. The race was almost over, and it was his to win!

'Heh, almost there. Hope you're ready for... uh...'

Think of something. Anything!

'...a ham sandwich?'

Not that. Anything but that.

Given the context, that would come across as a no sequitur to Karine, but it had a very... specific meaning. And he wasn't sure how she'd react to the idea. She clearly liked one Totoma, so... two Totoma would be even better for her, wouldn't it? Hm.
    'I guess that would make sense then. It doesn't matter too much, I was just curious.'

Finally it seemed they were reaching their destination, and though Karine was lagging behind she didn't really mind despite the 'consequences' of losing which in reality were a win either way in her mind. The last part caused her to halt again. It was corny, but it was Totoma. Since it was kinda fun and he was adorable if she could ever get him flustered, she decided to channel her mother a bit after getting her nerves together. 'Ham? Maybe. It depends on the menu and the time, hopefully the services are good too.'

While inwardly something twisted, she felt proud of herself she convincingly pulled the part; more so if Totoma got flustered.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Ochazuke chuckled. Pantaloon was always moving forward without a moment to waste.

"If you would, I'd be grateful," he said. "With the threat of Simon Battersea gone, Samson Balon has put all his energy into catching up for lost years, recovering his history."

He looked to Jinzi, face still as he tried to find the words.

"I don't suppose you would have any interest in a task such as that? Rediscovery of lost things...or archaeology," he said, "The future is always in a state of flux as we move towards it. But understanding where we come from is likewise a worthy endeavor."
    The businessman’s face lights up.

“My second PhD was in archeological interests. I’m more than happy to help.”
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Retired Overlord

Default Trial of Succession: Phase 2

Each trial participant was sent off into the wilderness at 15 minutes intervals. First Helen, then Tomas, Launia, Gradevour, and finally Etrina.

As the last to enter the field, The trail officially began once Etrina had vanished among the trees.

Her first task was to meet up with Launia before confronting any of the others, and through Launia had provided a subtle location enchantment to help Etrina had to stay low. Thankfully Erosas specialty as a hunter and recon familiar allowed her to scout a short distance ahead to confirm a clear path for Etrina as she moved.

"STOLTENGARDE!"

Before Etrina could react, something impacted the ground near her....barreling her over with a the force of the shockwave.

"I was hoping I'd get to knock the reigning Familiar Family out of the running...." Tomas smirked, sitting atop the shoulder of a large black armored being. "Consider yourself honored I think more of you as a opponent then Blavatsky. Well come on then...bring your familiar out so I can crush it and get on this this."

Erosa had circled back upon hearing the sound of the crash, coming upon the scene from the rear. Without a moments hesitation the Id shot quickly and silently forwards the enemy familiar from behind, ready to rake her blazing claws across the creatures back.....but was cut short when the enemy familiar turned abruptly, its large hand shooting out and snatching the familiar out of the air while Tomas let out a triumphant laugh.

"Hooo.....So this is a Stoltengarde Familiar......huh....what even is this thing?" Tomas eyed Erosa, struggling against his familiars iron grip. "Whatever...I was expecting something with a little more bite.......Xenu, crash the albino rat for me would you."

The giant familiar, named Xenu, brought both its hands together and applyed pressure to Erosa....who let out a pitiful scream as she struggled.

Then a rock impacted the side of Xenus head....followed quickly by another.....then a rain of rocks. Tomas had to duck for cover behind his familiars head to avoid the shower, while Xenu itself was momentarily distracted from squeezing.....a chance Erosa took advantage of as her rage increased. Her body igniting with heat, she slowly gained the strength necessary to push Xenus hands apart and dug her claw into his forearm, catapulting herself forward to smash into Xenus head with a vicious clawed strike. Under that, and some particular large boulder strikes....Xenu stumbled back, covered his master with a hand for defense and speed off into the woods, his master cursing the whole way.

Landing, Erosa allowed herself a moment to cool down before rejoining Etrina. Soon the source of the rocks showed themselves, as a familiar figure shifting out from the cover of the bushes nearby carrying his familiar under his arm.

"Gardevour?" Etrina blinked, turning her head back to the clutter of rocks that lay now where Xenu and Tomas had been. ".....Was this your familiars doing?"

"Homunculus." Gardevour corrected. "...and yes....you can thank Angie.....Quickly, this way. Your friend is waiting up ahead."

------

At the parameter of the Trial Grounds, two armed mages stood watch....senses focused on the area around them for any sign of magic or presence.

Yet even then....they did not detect the dark being approaching them. Without even the time for screams they were both cut down....the shadow vanishing as quickly as it came into the forbidden grounds.

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    The golden-haired woman of the void was struck down, thankfully before she could fully unleash her true might. Asha'rah suspected that there would have been an even harder fight if she had not managed to catch her opponent off guard. As it was, the being faded back into nothingness. The death of her material body seemed practically a relief.

Etrina's fight with the swordswoman did not end quite as favorably. As if she had somehow become even deadlier without her weapon, the swordswoman baited Etrina into a charge, only to dispatch her with a combo knee to the gut and elbow to the head. Then she moved, so fast Asha'rah had difficulty keeping track of her. It seemed some skills had rusted over after all, for Asha'rah had to devote too much thought to angling her sword into defensive-work. Forgetting to use her orbs or other tools, she was overwhelmed by the sheer ferocity of the swrodless swordswoman. A dozen landed strikes upon her sword arm, denting metal and overloading servos up and down her limb till she was forced to drop the weapon. The swordswoman retrieved her sword, put some distance between them, then...retreated with a whistle? What was her game?

Asha'rah began to suspect a darker master at work. Both these beings were otherworldly, inhuman in ways, but they did not appear willfully malignant. She made her way to Etrina and offered her a hand up. The left, undamaged hand.

"I did not know you could work a wand like that."
    "To be fair.....*huff*......This wand has a magically conductive shaft.......its all about what type of magic you conduct with it." Etrina caught her breath slowly, taking Asha'rahs hand so she could pull herself up. "....is....she gone? Good....Good riddance......Parsic too.......You never cease to amaze me Asha'rah."

Eyeing the exit, Etrina held out her hand. "....care too....help me walk.....that last hit in a bad spot.....I'd like to, get this over with before they....*huff*....decide they want a second round..."

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    The businessman’s face lights up.

“My second PhD was in archeological interests. I’m more than happy to help.”
    Well this was a surprise. He'd taken to Jinzi's acquaintance with the ancient and classical things of this world to be a relatively new pursuit. Where these lines intersected were far and few in between, and at the Lookout where the Guardian kept her eye on the entire span of the planet's life he had accepted this without much question. Still for a man who never slept, this whole world might well be an endless source of stimulation.

"Well, fortunately for us all then, and especially for you," he said, "he has the key to unlock an undiscovered chapter of human history. All Samson needs is to find the doors. I can't see how he'd be anything less than pleased."

He relayed Samson's contact information to Jinzi. So fortunate as he was, he'd felt guilty asking so much of the man. He'd given much of himself to their fight and put himself in constant peril. To beg favours of him was unbecoming, even if he was eager.

"This is a long history that is about to be changed. Soon the truth will be revealed, but it won't be easy. Many will be hesitant to change in the face of this," he said plainly. "If I may, I require two sets of copies of these lost scrolls. There are some masters that may be eager to hear of this."

Folding his arms before him, Ochazuke pressed his lips together, gathering his thoughts. "The first is in the North, I must consult him. His insights may be invaluable. The second, well..."

"I figured perhaps you would know where she is being detained."

Quote Originally Posted by Sion Reaver View Post
    'I guess that would make sense then. It doesn't matter too much, I was just curious.'

Finally it seemed they were reaching their destination, and though Karine was lagging behind she didn't really mind despite the 'consequences' of losing which in reality were a win either way in her mind. The last part caused her to halt again. It was corny, but it was Totoma. Since it was kinda fun and he was adorable if she could ever get him flustered, she decided to channel her mother a bit after getting her nerves together. 'Ham? Maybe. It depends on the menu and the time, hopefully the services are good too.'

While inwardly something twisted, she felt proud of herself she convincingly pulled the part; more so if Totoma got flustered.
    Totoma bobbed in the air a bit at her response since it caught him somewhat off-guard.

'Oh, uh... yeah, my service will leave you... breathless. Just you... just wa--'

The mental link went silent for a few moments. ****, she was trying to fluster him and, to make matters worse... it was working.

'Kari, uh, you... may have heard my mother reference a 'Bekon Sandwich' before. Uh, well... the Ham Sandwich is sort of the same thing, but less specific to my dad.' There was another pause. '...he called it that because he'd use the multi-form technique to... sandwich mom. So, uh... I mean...'

Yet another awkward pause.

'...if... if that's you're thing, I'll do it. I want to please you, after all, because I love you, but it's a bit... a bit... adventurous for our first time, ya know?'

Yeah, he definitely need to learn to keep his mental trap shut. This conversation had taken a very... very weird turn.
    The poster formerly known as Daiyoukai Ramza.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Well this was a surprise. He'd taken to Jinzi's acquaintance with the ancient and classical things of this world to be a relatively new pursuit. Where these lines intersected were far and few in between, and at the Lookout where the Guardian kept her eye on the entire span of the planet's life he had accepted this without much question. Still for a man who never slept, this whole world might well be an endless source of stimulation.

"Well, fortunately for us all then, and especially for you," he said, "he has the key to unlock an undiscovered chapter of human history. All Samson needs is to find the doors. I can't see how he'd be anything less than pleased."

He relayed Samson's contact information to Jinzi. So fortunate as he was, he'd felt guilty asking so much of the man. He'd given much of himself to their fight and put himself in constant peril. To beg favours of him was unbecoming, even if he was eager.

"This is a long history that is about to be changed. Soon the truth will be revealed, but it won't be easy. Many will be hesitant to change in the face of this," he said plainly. "If I may, I require two sets of copies of these lost scrolls. There are some masters that may be eager to hear of this."

Folding his arms before him, Ochazuke pressed his lips together, gathering his thoughts. "The first is in the North, I must consult him. His insights may be invaluable. The second, well..."

"I figured perhaps you would know where she is being detained."
    He nods.

“Give me ten minutes and I’ll get you your copies.”

Some minute alter he returns and hand sthen over.

“As to her location....here, Capital City. The correctional facility is housing them in their special K-Wing. Here, take these credentials.”

He hands Ochazuke a paper.

“That will authorize you to get in to see her, but only for a few minutes. Good luck.”
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    The Oni reached up with her left arm and rested it gently on Asha'rah's had a moment then, before offering a weak smile.

"Thank you."

A moment later then, as the golden-eyed Oni continued to rest, Asha'rah dropped to the ground. Trading her ability of flight, the Goddess allowed her metallic knees to sink into the Moon's ruined surface, as she clasped her hands and paid her respect. Yet after doing such ... the machine god bowed her head and made an offering to the heavens above.

... and so it was that the prayers of a God, would be heard by a mortal.

As Ishtar laid a hand upon Asha’rah’s metallic one, joy exploded in Asha’rah’s chest. It was a joy of rose petals and the summer breeze, of a warm fire and feathery pillows. She wanted to just stay in this perfect moment, to share this ending and new beginning with Ishtar alone. Thousands of souls had freed, Ishtar’s old love had been freed, and Ishtar’s own ghosts had been put to rest. It would be easier to just sit here a while, soaking in what they had accomplished.

Easier, but not better. The monks of Kame had taught her the difference. Asha’rah steeled herself to give Ishtar the only thing she could - her own part in this perfect moment. And so she knelt upon the dirt, and prayed as only a God could.

--

And so did Sekhmet accept her offer, and return to see her love one last time. Asha’rah looked upon Ishtar’s, imprinting upon her own memory the oni’s face as her eyes widened in recognition of a presence she had never forgotten the feel of. Sekhmet, clad in ephemeral form as her soul bathed in the light of creation, cast her gaze briefly upon her old home, nodded her thanks to Asha’rah, then wasted not a moment longer as she turned her attention to Ishtar.

It was time to leave. And so with due warning of the brief nature of their reunion, the God of Creation departed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    ---

Far away as Asha'rah was, the former Goddess could not mistake the sound that came from the voice that somehow carried itself across the barren surface of Ilargi, then.

With a voice that brought with it the warmth of the sun, and the comforting glow of a full moon ... the fallen God of Creation would know then, where Ishtar had learned the song that had been offered during Chuan's mending of Nunlil's injuries.

"Lavei, filak, tisa..."

Now that she was alone, Asha’rah was still elated that her attempt had worked, that she could give Ishtar this one last moment to say her goodbyes properly. But she also found herself uncharacteristically worried. Ten minutes had felt right, and Asha’rah wasn’t sure she was capable of more in any case. But there was a fine line between a fond farewell and a bitter parting, and there was ultimately no way for her to know for sure.

She attempted to put such useless thoughts from her mind and meditate, using the fresh memory of Ishtar’s almost disbelieving joy as a focus. But then a song rang out, haunting and beautiful. The voice did not belong to Ishtar, so it must have come from Sekhmet. And so Asha’rah relaxed and let the music wash over her. It conveyed beauty and loss, melancholy and cherishment.

Your old love sings well, Ishtar.

--

When the time came to a close and the golden pillar of light faded, Asha’rah made her way back. She took her time, giving Ishtar a minute to absorb her experience. When the fallen god found the oni again, she found the latter sitting upon the ground, legs outstretched, physically and emotionally exhausted. Asha’rah came to rest beside her, looking to the twinkling stars. She wrapped an arm around Ishtar’s firm but drooping shoulder, and drew her close.

“Though I may not compare to what you have lost, Ishtar, I am here. If you would have me.”

And so God and oni sat, triumphant and emptied, sad and overjoyed, two bright lives on a nearly lifeless moon.
    Last edited by Lord Falcon; 05-05-2018 at 11:23 PM.

Retired Overlord

Default Trial of Succession: Phase 3

Thanks to Gardevours assistance, an early elimination had been prevented. But Etrina still needed to make contact with Launia before they could combine there forces to take on the other familiars. For the moment...the small group of Etrina, Gardevour, Erosa and Angie made their way quickly and quietly through the forest.

In a show of good faith, Gardevour had permitted Etrina to carry Angie while he led the way. The little Homunculus child eyed her curiously from inside her cylinder...tapping against the boundary that separated them while mouthing out some from of language to her. Erosa trotted up beside them and inspected the little creature as well.

"....Homanculas? Little girl in jar look weird..." Etrina tapped on the glass, drawing angies attention. "Hehehe......weird but cute.....Can Erosa hold?"

"Only as long as you don't eat her...I'd hate to see how Gardevour would react..." Etrina said, gently lowering the unit so Erosa could hold it in her hands. "Don't break it.....she can't live outside the unit I'm told..."

Holding the unit up to her eyes, Erosa gave it a little shake.....then chuckled as angie spun around and waved her little hand. "Hehehehe...Gao.....Cute."

"You think Angie cute?"

Erosa shook her head. She could have swore she heard something just now.....softer then the breeze....

"We're here....up ahead!" Gardevours voice rang out, a bit louded then he intended, as a small cave came into view...hidden among the overgrowth. Something in the cave moved around at the voice, and Launia poked her head out along with Tomie.

"Its about time you showed up.....Quick, inside before your seen."

-----

Within the safety of the small cavern....the group plotted their next move. Launia was still suspicious of Gardevours intent....but couldn't argue that he hadn't been useful in helping out. Though at this point it would be better if he stayed in the cave and out of trouble...if only to keep Angie away from danger.

Launia would hold the fort while Tomie assisted Etrina and Erosa with finding and beating the two remaining opponets....at which point both her and Gardevour would forfeit giving Etrina the win.

They still had no idea what Helena had brought with her....and while they had fought Xenu, they had no concept of his full capability. Their steps would still have to be careful...but for the moment at least, everything was going as planned.

Default ZaofanFic, Part 9: ZaoFantastic Voyage

Hopping from village to village, Zaofan reverted back to his old ways of traveling since parting ways with Balon and Ochazuke, drifting where the paths may take him. But this journey was different. Armed with a map and a series of destinations, Zaofan made sure, not just to come and go like he would have in the past, but to really devote time to talking, and learning, and working with the people he would visit.

Koriko Harbor was the third such town. An east-facing, humble little fishing village decimated by Battersea some time ago, many of their workers, including dockworkers and sailors left the town for other fishing villages, unable to wait for the village to rebuild its fleet in order to work. Visiting ships would come and go, but they would find supplies meager; the town couldn't even be a supply port anymore.

Though Koriko Harbor could handle large enough to handle massive floating-city style cruise ships, wealthy developer Geena Darcart saw more potential. Trash the place, kick out the villagers, cut out the growth, bulldoze the homes, and turn it into an idyllic resort town. She had tried for years to do so legally, but was stopped at every turn. Most of the villagers, united in heritage and history, refused her buyout offers. Close to giving up, her fortune changed when Battersea came to town, just by fate, and destroyed most of its humble but impressive architecture, stealing the harbor's centuries' old in shambles. Best of all, Battersea had killed the town's defenders. He came and went like a storm, leaving a power vacuum. Though not in league with the champ, Darcart saw an opening; with the town's fighters gone, corrupt police could be hired to bully the populace; with the time elapsed, Ducart had the time to buy judges. Soon the town smelled of sewage, trash floating in its once pristine waters. Ruins of the town's once impressive architecture gave way to shantytowns and tin roofs.

Hey, if those villagers only took the payoff, there wouldn't be any need for violence, would there?

Inside a cluttered living room with a poorly spinning electric fan, Zaofan sat on his bent legs, listening intently to the kindly village elder, an older woman with a head wrap, as she told the traveler the plight of Koriko Harbor. "That does sound terrible," he said, "but to be honest with you, I don't get involved with ...local politics... I just thought I could help build ships or help you fish, but..."

The elder cut in with a smile. "...you were the one on television. Yes, we know who you are. You helped stop the one who destroyed our village."

Bashful, Zaofan turned red. "Well, I mean, I only did what had to be done, hah-hah-hah!"

The elder maintained focus and raised her hand to continue. "But others seek to to take advantage of Battersea's wicked ways. Darcart has no scruples, and we are defenseless."

Zaofan, ummoving from his seat, looked around the room and an object that piqued his curiosity. "That's a rather thick book you have there."

"Oh, that? That's just my cook book," she said, beaming with pride. "Well, it actually belonged to my great-great-great-grandmother. Every daughter in the line adds recipes over the years. We're a harbor town -- we're big on seafood, you know."

Zaofan suddenly perked up. What could such a book contain? Zaofan eyed the book and slightly licked his lips. "Well, I believe something can be arranged. If she has enforcers and hired muscle, could you tell me about her goons? Maybe I could start there."

The elder got up from her seat, went to a stack of papers, and pulled out a photograph. "I can tell you about her captain -- Master Toh Magoh."

The traveler's face went blank in astonishment. "What?! Him?! HERE?!"

The elder did a double take with the picture. "Oh, so you know him?"

"Toh Magoh was... my old master...!"

To be continued...
    Last edited by Cyke; 05-06-2018 at 12:08 AM.

There was no listless drifting to be found, after Sekhmet faded away.

No soft whispering from a distant shore, as she started up towards the star-filled sky that had only moments before been blocked by Ishtar's first love. Instead there was a small hollow in her heart where once had lingered the living memory of the Khosian woman. Yet as the golden-eyed Oni sat, and stared, and thought about those ten beautiful minutes that had been gifted; she felt the hollow lessened somewhat.

The memories associated with the hollow lingered, surely. There would be no forgetting the day, five thousand years past, that had led to this fateful day ... yet the pain, and grief, and regret associated with such remembrances began to fade. In time, Ishtar knew that the whole of it would be gone.

In its place, then, would be the warmth of what had been shared in those ephemeral last moments with Sekhmet. Memories of the way her voice had given life to this lifeless moon for a few flickering minutes. Memories of how she had cradled, and caressed, and kissed the golden-eyed Oni in their final meeting. Only to offer, not absolution ... but acceptance, as she expressed her happiness at Ishtar's finding of her own happiness, and wished only that the Oni continue to seek such out after she was well and truly gone.

And so for a moment, the Oni's thoughts turned to those of her time with Sarada.

Of how they had forged a bond that yet lingered across the void of endless space, on their first night together. Of how the Saiyan had shown a willingness to train, and care, and comfort; eventually becoming a desire to simply enjoy the Oni's presence. And also of how, despite all that had transpired in the final moments against the Legion of Forgotten Moonsworn, Ishtar had possessed the presence of mind to offer Sarada confidence that she would not break her promise to return ... which itself spoke to a truth that Sekhmet herself had seemed to know.

So that you have found such ...

A decision was made then, as Ishtar stared up towards the star-strewn sky. The first of many, if this new path was to be maintained. And in that there was a peace, and warmth, that was comforting beyond measure.

I will see you soon, Sarada.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    When the time came to a close and the golden pillar of light faded, Asha’rah made her way back. She took her time, giving Ishtar a minute to absorb her experience. When the fallen god found the oni again, she found the latter sitting upon the ground, legs outstretched, physically and emotionally exhausted. Asha’rah came to rest beside her, looking to the twinkling stars. She wrapped an arm around Ishtar’s firm but drooping shoulder, and drew her close.

“Though I may not compare to what you have lost, Ishtar, I am here. If you would have me.”

And so God and oni sat, triumphant and emptied, sad and overjoyed, two bright lives on a nearly lifeless moon.
    As the Oni finished basking in the moment, sifting through what luminous insight had been provided in so brief a time by Sekhmet, she felt a presence at her side. Yet before she found within herself the voice to speak, or the strength to turn her head; Asha'rah had already wrapped her metallic arm around her weary shoulders ... and offered hopeful words of acceptance.

... I am here. If you would have me.

Ishtar was silent a moment.

Asha'rah had offered far more of herself, than most. Had given all that the she had to offer, when Zurvan had brought her dying body to the Lookout hoping the former Goddess of Creation might be able to help ... and then months later, she had answered the call to travel the stars with Ishtar; and return to a moon that had been stripped of life in a moment of weakness and suffering. And then .. finally ... the former Goddess, had offered Ishtar a final farewell with her first love. And then she had the nerve to say something so ... innocently hopeful, as 'if you would have me'.

Chuckling softly, Ishtar leaned against the chest of the former God, before sighing like a gentle breeze.

"Yes Asha'rah, I would have you."

And even if she did not want the fallen God ... Anubis was not one for pleasant conversation.

A few moments passed in peaceful silence then, the former God, and God to be sharing between them; before the Oni offered anything more.

"I would wish to sit here awhile, with you ... until the sunrise at least. Perhaps we can see if the sunrise is the same as I remember." Ishtar said, softly. Only to fall silent for several long moments as she simply enjoyed her existence awhile. An obvious difference, in light of all that had transpired ... though with another small sigh, the golden-eyed Oni offered a few final words.

"Then perhaps ... should you like to, we might return to Earth ?"
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

"Good morning and welcome to Vocado 1 News, I'm Celery," spoke a male reporter in a slick black suit. The woman beside him was wearing a white top with a long gold necklace.

"And I'm Pintur. Our top story today is a shocking development in the case that spun out of the child molestation investigation two months ago. According to World Police, they have decided to drop their case on Parsley, citing that they have been unable to gather any physical evidence to support the claims of convicted child molester, Dashir, that she propositioned him to molest her younger sister in exchange for his silence. Other than his word, there has been nothing else for them to build a case on."
    Sarada felt numb, like the entire world was spinning out of control. She would have thrown up, but a series of deep, slow breaths managed to calm her nerves enough to keep from spewing her breakfast all over her table. No, this... this can't be happening. She... she admitted it! She looked me in the eye and admitted she hated me. That's as good as a confession, right?

Sarada knew deep down that it wasn't. Admitting that she hated her was nothing more than finally revealing the deep, hidden feelings she had in Sarada's regard for years. Nothing about those four words, 'Because I hate you', was an admittance of guilt. The timing of said confession, however, was suspect. Why admit that right after Sarada asked her repeatedly about why she offered her to Dashir? Why word it that way, as if it was an answer to those desperate inquiries?

With that in mind, Sarada knew that Parsley had done exactly what Dashir said she had. There was just nothing to World Police could do. They needed concrete evidence to get a conviction, and the word of a convicted child molester on death row and the suspicions of one of his victims just wasn't what they needed. It was hearsay, nothing more.

"God damn it."

--------

A few days later, it was time. Sarada intended on only staying a few months on Vocado before returning to Earth, and the time to head out was now. It was harder than she thought, which was saying something. Spending time with her family and friends after being gone for a few months was better for her than she could have ever imagined. Not only had she gained strength from it through her training, but she felt refreshed and re-energized. She felt like she could fight anyone and win.

"Try not to be gone so long this time," Avoca said snidely when the two friends shared a night of makeup mating the night before. "I may beat Jagam all by myself if you drag your heels."

While she laughed, Sarada felt a tinge of guilt and dread. He was out there, somewhere, and she didn't like not knowing where he was and what he was planning. All this planning and training for his possible arrival may have been for nothing. He may have felt apprehension of his own at facing an entire planet of Saiyans. Or, maybe he was just biding his time, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. Eventually, the Saiyans' natural ego and overconfidence would take over and overwhelm their sense of readiness. They would lax and content; fate would have it that that would be the moment he would arrive.

She stressed to King Mato to not let them get content and overconfident. He promised he would, but there were five million people on this planet; it was impossible for him to keep an eye on everyone.

Well, loses were acceptable, so long as the whole remained mostly intact. As long as the strongest of them and the children -- the future -- remained, she supposed she would be satisfied. As long as Jagam fell, she knew that there was little chance of anyone holding back out of fear of death.

"I'll try," she answered with a small smile. She fell asleep with her friend sleeping soundly in her arms. It felt right and natural, and a piece of her didn't want it to end, but she knew she had promises to keep and more training to do on Earth. So, when the sun rose that morning, she kissed Avoca tenderly and gently nipped her on the neck before departing.

This time, she made her rounds and said goodbye to everyone before leaving. Maiz, Lettise, Pinach, Rutaba, Colrizada, and the rest of her friends from the tribunal all got a heartfelt farewell before Sarada boarded her pod and took flight. It was a five day journey from Vocado to Earth. Last time, she was spent that time meditating in complete silence. This time, she had the presence of mind to bring her music player. It was filled with all her favorite songs, good music, not that rap nonsense that was gaining a distressing amount of steam in the Meat Market.

Theme - Strong Again

The majority of the time, her thoughts rested on the future. Beyond just her concern over the future of her race, but that of the immediate future. There was little doubt that Eva had been investigating thoroughly the disappearance of the guardians that Slak mentioned before the group went their separate ways. Before, Sarada wasn't that concerned, since he didn't see a Saiyan in the mind of that parasite. However, she did some digging of her own and found that Vocado did have a guardian system back then. She stumbled across a temple at the top of Mt. Oozaru, underneath the massive statue of Vocado himself. Inside the decrepit, dusty place, she found a series of ancient texts written in the ancient Saiyan variant of Arcosian. It was a set of rules governing the guardians, outlining what they could and could not do, observations that they made of the race they guarded, and concerns for the future.

The first guardian was a Namek named Flute. The final guardian, nearly 1500 years later, was a Saiyan named Ceriac. He served faithfully for much of his life, but just up and vanished one day. The ruler at the time, King Otatop IV, must have erased all mention of him and the guardians, as neither Sarada nor anyone else she talked to about this had even heard of him.

She also found Ceriac's notes among the the ancient texts. In the beginning, they were mostly boring observations and technique ideas. But, at the end, he started to frenetically note the dreams he had been having of a planet with a red sun. He mentioned in his final entry that he was going to take some time away to investigate this planet.

He never returned.

That was five hundred years ago -- which was about the time Otatop IV started the shift the Saiyans from mostly peaceful farmers and herders to conquerors and slavers. She was certain that wasn't a coincidence. The bastard had only been waiting for Ceriac to leave before completely changing the Saiyans' entire way of life. If not for him, there was no tell how they may have been viewed today by the rest of the galaxy.

At any rate, since Ceriac went to this planet and never returned, that gave her plenty of incentive to join the party going to investigate this planet soon. She was reasonably certain he had been long dead, possibly infected like Fife, but maybe there was a chance she could learn something that would allow her to help re-institute the guardian system on Vocado. Who that person would be, she didn't know.

Days passed one by one, spent by her mentally going over her new techniques and fighting forms. She had learned much while training with Tasure. If the time came where a fight took place -- and she hoped beyond all hope that plenty of fighting was in her future -- she was going to be ready. She hoped the others had been training as much as she had. While she knew that, eventually, she was going to surpass them, it wouldn't do for her to have all the fun. It was better when fighting with other strong people because then she would have to keep pushing herself to keep up and stay ahead.

Hehe.

------

Five days passed by more quickly than she thought it would. She supposed tempering her excitement at seeing Jack and Ishtar again had something to do with that. Of course, as far as the latter was concerned, she kept teasing her ahead of their eventual reunion by sending small bits of lustful pleasure her way in the only way such was possible. ...Well, at least she worked out some tension that had built up during the trip.

DESTINATION IMMINENT. LANDING PROCEDURES INITIATED.

Her eyes cracked open when her ship pierced the planet's atmosphere. Kinetic energy accumulated from the rapid descent and sudden crash landing in the center of an island in the middle of an ocean was absorbed and evenly distributed across the ship's hull, giving Sarada a gentle landing. The hatch opened, spewing out a cloud of super heated steam that instantly roasted a bird that had gotten too close for its own good. Sarada herself was unharmed; she didn't even feel it, a farcry from a few months ago when it felt like she was in a sauna.

She spotted the roasted bird and picked it up. "Nice," she said before ripping off the beak and legs and wiping off the feathers. Its meat was quickly devoured before she scanned for Eva's power, then set off for the Lookout. It had been nearly six months since she had been there. She couldn't wait to see Eva again, and more selfishly, hoped the Room of Time and Spirits was done so she could spend a day there training. A year in one day was too much to pass up.
    Last edited by Sub-Zero MKA; 05-06-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Retired Overlord

Default Trial of Succession: Phase 4

Helena hummed quietly to herself, flipped the page on her favorite book as she sit quietly in a deploy able arm chair in the middle of the woods. The contrast between her and the setting she was in was rather jarring to say the least...thought perhaps that was the point. The others could hide of they wanted, it only prolonged the inevitable. Sooner or later they would have to face her if they wanted to win....and she would wait, seeing as she packed several dozen of her personal library for the occasion. At this point....she could sit back and wait awhile....and see who was unfortunate enough to come across her first.

"Oh.....Aren't you relaxed."

For a moment, Helenas lips curled into a smile. Slipping her book to one side, she eyed the trees part a short distance away as Tomas and Xenu stepped out....snapping the trees in the process. "If you've time to take a reading break I can suggest a few good science fiction stories for you...though I doubt your mind is on the proper level to understand them."

Helena let out a chuckle in response. "Tomas....pleasant as always. You'll have to forgive me but I'm not interested in science fiction.....especially not from a man with his head buried in fantasy."

".....you of all people don't get to say that to me." Tomas fumed. "Fantasy is getting all your answers from a voice in your head! I deal in facts....Blavatsky, your a sham.....and I can say with great pleasure that I'm going to enjoy every moment of whats about to happen. Now bring out your familiar." Xenu pounded his metallic hands together in anticipation.

Yet in response, all Helena did was shrug quietly. ".....Sham you say.......if anything is a sham here its your doomsday-cult religion. All that enlightened jargen while you prepare to stuck your head between your legs and deny the truth....You idiot, there is no religion higher then truth!"

Helena snapped her finger, and for a moment Tomas world lit up with blinding light. A loud humming noise from above slowly rose in pitch as waves of heated wind threatened to topple the man over. "....Agggghh....What....are you..."

Xenu stepped in from of him to block out the light and heat, and from behind him Tomas looked up to massive object above them...blotting out the night sky.

"Wh....What.......That can't be a...." Tomas stuttered his words even as Helena raised her arms to the sky. "Look....Look! The embodiment of our cosmic visitor. Ark Sanat Kumara! Heavenly Lord of the Flame!"

-------

Poking her head out from the cavern, Etrina was sure she saw a flash of light somewhere in the distance. It was only for a moment however. "Ok....it looks clear. I'm going to head out now and find Tomas and Helena. Erosa, your with me. Tomie your my backup."

Etrina looked back, and Launia gave her familiar a small nod of acknowledgment.

"Launia, you stay here with Gardevour and Angie. Enchant the cave opening so its harder to notice from the outside. If anything happens I'll send you a message.....otherwise stay inside."

"Right, Thank you again for helping me like this...." Gardevour bowed his head, holding angie in his arms.

"Its quite alright......Just keep her safe...."

Etrina gave one final nod and set out of the cave, giving a moment for Erosa to get ahead of her and then following quickly behind. The two set a quick pace among the trees, moving towards the last location they had saw anyone while keeping an eye out for anything suspicious.

Yet it hadn't been 5 minutes out from the cave that they stumbled across a scene out of a movie.

Xenu, Carrying Tomas in his hands, was demolishing a path through the treeline across the clearing from them.....and behind him was some sort of large UFO firing a beam of heat that was torching whatever was left in his wake. Her eyesight wasn't the best....but she could swear Helena was sitting on top of the thing.

".....Gaaao.......Should Erosa.....do something....?" Erosas mental link came in slightly confused, and unfortunately Etrina didn't have an answer for her yet.

This night was somewhat bizarre.

----------

Back at the cave, Launia stared quietly at the exit, lost in thought while Gardevour hummed a lullaby and rocked angies container gentle, much to the little homunculus' enjoyment.

".......Etrina is in trouble...." Launia stood up, turned her head back to to the other two. "I'm going to go out for a moment to help her.....could you two stay here for a bit alone? I'll leave the enchantment on the entry, so just keep quiet for a bit."

"Trouble already? Well....if you must....." Gardevour answered, more then a little nervous. Launia gave him a quiet nod, then quickly exited the cave....leaving the two in silence.

".....Shhh....its gonna be ok Angie.....We're gonna be ok." Gardevour rubbed the container wall, while angie spun around in her container, showing signs she was already nervous.

Without warning, Angie mouthed a wordless yell that only gardevour could hear......her eyes fixed just behind his shoulder, but it was already too late by that point.....

Retired Overlord

While the stange, but somewhat laughable scene played out before the two.....Erosa was at a loss for what to do. It seemed like jumping into a war with two titans. The prudent thing to do would be letting them fight it out until one is beaten....but for some reason the idea was kinda....boring.

She wanted to fight, she REALLY wanted to fight....

"....el...p...."

Erosa stiffened, jerking her head from side to side.

"...He.....lp........so......"

She would hear something....but it wasn't sound persay. It was coming in on a similar wavelength to her mental communication with Etrina. It was a weird sensation...but Erosa nonethless blotted out everything else and tried to focus on what she was hearing in her head.

".....help master.....help......"

That voice was familiar, she had heard it once before just recently while she was holding that girl in a jar. Was it her voice she was hearing? If that were the case then......

Erosa glanced around, her sister didn't seem to notice anything...

"....please.....help......help....."

"Something wrong at cave....something wrong...." Erosa turned, dug her claws into the ground and exploded back towards the cave...leaving a surprised Etrina yelling out behind her.

----------

White, Hot pain.

Gradevour stumbled forward, Angies capsule slipping from his hands and roiling to a stop a few feet away. A cloud of inky blackness floated behind him, a hand extended forth from it with blood covering its bladed fingers. Gardevour had reacted too late to avoid his attacker, but had managed to prevent a mortal wound from the rear...if only by a inch. Pain shot from the large gash now on his back, even as he attempted to spin around to face his attacker. The cloud shot forward and slammed into the mage, flinging him the remaining distance across the cave and pinning his body to the wall.

Angie screamed silently in her container. She tried to grasp the creature with psychic power....but within the cloud it seemed as if there was nothing to hold. She flung objects at the cloud by they passed through harmlessly. She screamed internally, clawing at the glass of her container, batting it with her small hand...pleading in a soundless voice.

Yet at the same time it was crushing Gardevour against the wall.

"Plldd.....plas....." Gardevour mouthed to his attacker. "...ddu....nt......hurrt.......maa....aaannng....i ee......plaas..ee..."

The cave echoed with the snapping of bones, the mage....Gardavour Hohenhiem, went limp against the wall. The cloud pulled back...letting the broken body slump to the ground even as it drew the life energy from it.

Then two red eyes within it turned towards the container on the ground, the cloud floating quietly and ominously towards it. A single clawed hand reached forth to grasp the tiny, homunculus.

"GAOOO!" Erosa exploded in through the cave opening, screaming at the top of her lungs. The shadow paused, if only for a moment....and that was enough for Erosa to leap the distance between the two and......fly through the cloud harmlessly. Landing cleanly on the other side, with lingering gas clinging to her body, Erosa spun back around and leap back....this time turning at the last moment to scoop the homonculus off the floor and fling herself out through the cave opening. As she flew clear, Erosa heard a cracking of earth as the cave behind her buckled in on itself and collapsed....in her mind she heard Angies scream of rage, and realized the cave collapsing had been her. It was the only way she had to attack the monster.....and it had buried what remained of her master in a unmarked tomb.

She needed to get back to Etrina, something very wrong was happening. With a glance down to Angie, the homunculus now hugging her knees in a little ball, Erosa couldn't help but think of what she would feel in her position.....if Etrina were killed....

Behind them, the ground settled.....a black smoke seeping forth from the ground.

Retired Overlord

Etrina was reluctantly doubling back in the direction Erosa had fired off. She hadn't received any signal from Launia about anything wrong at the cave....so she had no idea why Erosa was choosing now of all times to take off. She had lost sight of the two other mages battling it out, though the occasional flash of light at her rear told her the battle was still ongoing. Finally, up ahead she could see Erosa running with Gardevours Homunuculus in hand. "Erosa! What the hell are you doing!"

"No time! Run!" Erosa exclaimed, and despite being smaller then her sister...the id wrapped her other arm around Etrinas waist and picked her up like a barrel before taking off in the direction of the flashes. "Enemy is here.....Kill other mage, not know where friend mage is."

A deafening explosion from behind cut Etrina off from any questions, a cloud of black mist tearing forth from the ground and rising high into the air before coming down in a wave behind them....shredding trees and rocks as it went.

"What the hell is that!" Etrina finally managed to yell, thought Erosa didn't have a answer for her. The cloud was moving much faster then they were, the pitiful treeline doing nothing to impede its progress. It was coming dangerously close to catching them until they both felt another surge of psychic power coming from the ting Homunculus. The ground behind them shifted, then exploded upwards to form a rocky barricade. The cloud smashed through it....but was nonetheless slowed much more then by the trees. Several more of the same barrier followed...quick draining Angie of her strength but providing them with some breathing room ahead of the cloud.

Then the three broke through the treeline into a long meadow just as Tomas and Xanu broke through from the opposite end....still playing a hit and run battle with his nemesis. Seeing the three ahead of him, Tomas let out a shout. "Grrrr...I'm busy! Get out of my....my......what the...."

The cloud of darkness smashed through the treeline behind them. Xenu, already running away from one enemy....skidded to a spot in the face of whatever was heading towards them from the opposite end. "..........What the hell is that!"

"Don't talk! Just run!" Etrina screamed. "Get Helena! That thing is after mages!"

The cloud launched itself forward at superhuman speeds.....closing the distance with nothing more to stop it, its inky black tendrils reaching to grasp the escaping id and squash her flat. Before that could happen however, As if on cue, a beam of light lanced out over her head and stabbed into the cloud....parting in down the middle with a ray of intense fire.

Above them, Ark Sanat Kumara had cleared the treeline, the port on its bottom focusing a laser on the cloud to halt its advance. The cloud shuddered and slowed, but only long enough for it to split off into a dozen smaller streams of fog....spreading out and converging on its new target.

"Open all firing ports! Ark Sanat Kumara! Fire!" Helena threw her arm forward, opening forming all along the rim of her flying ship. The sky was lit ablaze with a dozen smaller beams that sliced through the incoming branches of black fog.....yet which each cut tendril that dissipated more followed closely behind. Several impacted with the hull and locked seemed to grip hard to it....then jerked themselves downwards. Sanat Kumara tilted violently to the side, almost causing Helena to lose her balance. The outer hull no longer safe, helena quickly jumped inside her ark as more tendrils latched onto the side....more and more, more then her attacks could sever......and pulled the mighty ark down towards the ground.

With a might crash, Ark Sanat Kumara was smashed into the ground...the cloud pinning and crushing it so the familiar craft couldn't take off. Rending it piece by piece until what remained was wreckage....which itself finally dissolved, leaving only an unconscious Helena lying on the field.

"......w....wh....wh....wha......" Tomas was having issues finding words to describe the situation he was in. "........is....is this it? The destroyer has come? ....No....No.......this isn't Genesis.....I can't be wrong......What......."

The cloud gathered over Helenas body, but instead of delivering the killing blow....it instead drifted quietly, collecting itself into a more compact cloud before taking a rogue human shape.

"........ehehehe........ehehehehehe......E~tri~na. ....." A familiar voice, muffled within the cloud, let out a girlish laugh that made Etrinas blood run cold. "That's two down now......Praise me......P~raise me Etrina.....This is all for you......"

The cloud parted, and Launia stepped out....innocent smile playing on her face. The cloud compressed even more behind her before finally taking the form of Tomie.