Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    The Hawkworld mini, despite screwing up Katar Hol's continuity, was awesome. I don't know if it's Watchmen/TDKR level, but it's really, really good.
    The great thing about Hawkworld is that, since it was always intended to be a flashback story set prior to Katar & Shayera's Silver Age adventures, you can still read it like that if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    A little know gem is OMAC (1991, I think) by John Byrne. Byrne is full author and works on black and white. No color. Really an interesting work.
    Byrne considers it his best work.

"The Golden Age" by Robinson and Smith. The "Watchmen" of the JSA. If they had taken it any darker DC might have asked them to not use their characters, the way they asked Moore to not use the Charlton ones.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "The Golden Age" by Robinson and Smith. The "Watchmen" of the JSA. If they had taken it any darker DC might have asked them to not use their characters, the way they asked Moore to not use the Charlton ones.
    Agree completely. A tremendous reimagining of the golden age heroes

No love for Kingdom Come here?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Speaking of that...

I would say that the "New52" Dial H run that China Mieville wrote is absolutely in this category. That said, it always seems to me like folks must know about it.

The Open-Window Man and the kid issue is still one of the all-time greats.
    Great pick. One of the criteria for this list is "lesser-known". It would be great to learn about some classic obscurities.

Here are a couple:

Human Target by Peter Milligan. I believe there were two minis, if memory serves.

Arak: Son of Thunder by Roy Thomas from the '80s. This series often featured incredible art from Alfredo Alcala and, to the best of my knowledge, has never been collected.

Not obscure but not mentioned enough: Planetary by Ellis and Cassady.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    James Robinson's Starman is a modern superhero comic masterpiece.
    God, yes. 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackTerror View Post
    No love for Kingdom Come here?
    Kingdom Come is regularly hailed as one of the best DC stories of all time, so I wouldn’t really consider it 'lesser known', but, yes, it's great

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Kingdom Come is regularly hailed as one of the best DC stories of all time, so I wouldn’t really consider it 'lesser known', but, yes, it's great
    Agreed. It's brilliant, but it's also anything but "Lesser Known..."

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Great pick. One of the criteria for this list is "lesser-known". It would be great to learn about some classic obscurities.

Here are a couple:

Human Target by Peter Milligan. I believe there were two minis, if memory serves.

Arak: Son of Thunder by Roy Thomas from the '80s. This series often featured incredible art from Alfredo Alcala and, to the best of my knowledge, has never been collected.

Not obscure but not mentioned enough: Planetary by Ellis and Cassady.
    From memory, it feels like it was limited series/graphic novel/ongoing that went about two years. That said, could not agree more. I feel like it is some of that writer's best work.

While I'm never really sure if i feel like it is actually "Lesser Known..." the "DC Focus" comic Hard Time was incredibly solid. Maybe not "As Good As...", but a superior work.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Good call.

And it has my favourite villain reveal ever.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    There was a miniseries, followed by an original graphic novel and then an ongoing. And yeah, it's great. Especially that first miniseries.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I'm never really sure if i feel like it is actually "Lesser Known..." the "DC Focus" comic Hard Time was incredibly solid. Maybe not "As Good As...", but a superior work.
    I loved that.

DC really screwed up the publication though. They stopped it so they could restart at a new #1, but then delayed the TPB of the first series until after the second ongoing had started. That second series never had a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    There was a miniseries, followed by an original graphic novel and then an ongoing. And yeah, it's great. Especially that first miniseries.
    You are right. I have the mini and the GN in a single collection (Chance Meetings) and I mistakenly thought the GN was a mini as well. I also have the first ten issues of the ongoing, some of which had Cliff Chiang on art. I should see if the rest of it was ever collected.

And now for something completely different: Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgment on Gotham. I mean, the art alone makes it classic.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

A number of suggestions already that I like as much or more than Watchmen (has Daytripper been mentioned?) and there are plenty more besides but I actually don't think that any comic I have read is better than Watchmen on a pure craft level. Sure, plenty of comics resonate with me far more than Watchmen - indeed, for all that I love it, Watchmen is quite cold and calculated - but I can't think of any comic book, past or present, that is as immaculately put together as Moore and Gibbons' masterpiece.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Alan Moore's SWAMP THING beats both of those out.
    Totally agreed! Maybe the best comic ever.