Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Smaller Franchises you're a fan of?

The conversation's full of Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Star Trek, and other multi-billion dollar franchises these days - but what smaller franchises do you like? Series that have more made-for-tv movies and direct-to-videos than theatrical releases, things people tend to forget even exist until you bring it up. For instance I've recently been feeling the Starship Troopers franchise since watching most of the movies a couple days ago. Most people remember the theatrical movie, but there's been two other live action films and a couple animated ones too, plus a cartoon series. I haven't seen the series or the latest animated movie, but everything else was pretty fun to watch.

Another example, I'm a longtime fan of the Tremors series. Again, everyone remembers the first movie with Kevin Bacon, but there's been five sequels since then and a one season TV show. I have all of them on DVD and have watched them all multiple times (except the series, I should watch that again soon). No animation yet, which is a shame because an animated Tremors movie would be amazing.

Anyone else a fan of one of these franchises? Or do you like another franchise that's not as big as the Disney or WB backed stuff?

(For reference, even though Nightmare on Elm Street might be a small franchise when compared to say Harry Potter, in its genre it is a big franchise with a ton of films in theaters over the decades; on the other hand Puppet Master is a pretty niche property in comparison and yet there's like a dozen movies cranked out most of which have never been on the silver screen, so I'd call it a franchise that's fairly small budgeted and fairly small fanbase despite a lot of content.)

Babylon 5.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Buffyverse
    Xenaverse
    Mad Max

I also like the Tremors movies.

Does Law & Order count as a small franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I also like the Tremors movies.
    Supergirl even had an episode entitled Tremors.

Farscape, Z-Nation, Pacific Rim, Hellraiser.

The Goldenverse? Golden Girls, Empty Nest, Golden Palace, Nurses.

Gremlins

The Mummy

The Rocketeer

Justified
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

I'm not sure where they rank in terms of size, but some of the other franchises/properties I like are the Muppets, Oz (the magical land, not the prison show), Jim Henson's The Storyteller, Fraggle Rock, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, Sailor Moon, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Ultraman, The Universal Monsters and the Toho Monsters (the last two being kind of the first and second "cinematic universes" in existence). I also like a lot of manga that isn't really crazy popular.

I do like hearing about people being big fans of stuff beyond the usual "geek stuff" (Marvel, DC, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc). It's one of the reasons I like watching YouTube videos from Andre "Black Nerd" Meadows. He's just as likely, if not more, to make a whole video about Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, Q*Bert, Gremlins or Archie Comics as Marvel or Star Wars.

I'm not sure it counts as small, but I've always been a fan of the Stargate franchise. It's kind of amazing that 4 series and 3 direct-to-dvd movies all came from one pretty middling Devlin-Emerich movie.

I actually don't mind the franchise that the film The Collector kicked off.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I'm not sure it counts as small, but I've always been a fan of the Stargate franchise. It's kind of amazing that 4 series and 3 direct-to-dvd movies all came from one pretty middling Devlin-Emerich movie.
    Yeah, Stargate Universe was really breaking out of the kind of silly sci-fi rut that SG1 and Atlantis had capitalized on (nothing wrong with that, I was a huge fan of silly sci-fi shows Eureka, Dark Matter and Killjoys!), and I was loving it until the axe fell.

That said, the movie was my favorite, for all the luscious pseudo-Egyptian stuff and campy overacting. I'm a sucker for that (within reason! The campy overacting in the first Dungeons & Dragons movie, or that Van Helsing movie with Hugh Jackman were too much even for me...).

Babylon 5, already mentioned above, is another that I just realized counts as a 'franchise,' since it had a few made-for-TV movies and a (short******d) spin-off series. I'm not sure it really ever lived up to it's franchise potential, since it really seemed to have just the one big story to tell, and floundered, IMO, when it drifted away from that.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Gundam would be small in America. It hasn't had a major presence here in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I'm not sure where they rank in terms of size, but some of the other franchises/properties I like are the Muppets, Oz (the magical land, not the prison show), Jim Henson's The Storyteller, Fraggle Rock, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, Sailor Moon, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Ultraman, The Universal Monsters and the Toho Monsters (the last two being kind of the first and second "cinematic universes" in existence). I also like a lot of manga that isn't really crazy popular.

I do like hearing about people being big fans of stuff beyond the usual "geek stuff" (Marvel, DC, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc). It's one of the reasons I like watching YouTube videos from Andre "Black Nerd" Meadows. He's just as likely, if not more, to make a whole video about Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, Q*Bert, Gremlins or Archie Comics as Marvel or Star Wars.
    I'm not sure I'd call TMNT or Ghostbusters smaller franchises, but then again Ghostbusters hasn't had much since the 80s that I'm aware of (one popular videogame and a flop reboot). We'll see when the 3rd one comes out soon (that one I do want to see - yay original surviving cast!).

I'm also a long time fan of the Universal Monsters (shame the studio can't get its act together in bringing these timeless characters back in decent films) and Toho's giant monsters (glad to see Godzilla getting movies again after that long period between Final Wars and Godzilla 2014). I've recently started trying to get into Ultraman thanks to Mill Creek's Blu-ray releases of all the series, got Ultra Q and the original Ultraman (went for the steelbook editions) and just started watching them, will probably get Orb, Geed, and Ultraseven at the end of the month. Watched the first 7 episodes of Ultra Q last night, definitely feels like I'm watching some mini-movies of the period, which is pretty great.

I agree I like hearing about geeky franchises beyond the usual stuff. Fun seeing what all people are into and passionate about.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I actually don't mind the franchise that the film The Collector kicked off.
    The Collector? Never heard of it, what kind of franchise is that? Horror?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Gundam would be small in America. It hasn't had a major presence here in a long time.
    Yeah, I remember Gundam Wing was kind of huge at the time, but nothing since has really hit with the same kind of impact here in America/the west since.

Astonishing Member

I like that Insidious is still around and James Wan is even back to direct it next year.