Page 254 of 693 FirstFirst ... 154204244250251252253254255256257258264304354 ... LastLast
Results 3,796 to 3,810 of 10394

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    IIRC, it was the lowest rated of the Arrowverse shows. Personally, I'd expect a Painkiller series, and for that matter Wondergirl to do worse. Meanwhile, I guess CW Justice League meetings are going to be lonely... Let's see, Flash, Superman, J'ohn?, anyone else left? And honestly, I would have spun Diggle off into a GL show, whether HBO Max, or CW rather than spend on those other two new shows.
    I don’t know. This new Wonder Girl is making headlines and she hasn’t even officially debuted in the comics. Plus the Wonder Woman brand is the most popular its been since the 70s. Add to the fact that this new character is the only Hispanic superhero to have their own show and they could potentially have a hit on their hands (if the writing is actually good).

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I don’t know. This new Wonder Girl is making headlines and she hasn’t even officially debuted in the comics. Plus the Wonder Woman brand is the most popular its been since the 70s. Add to the fact that this new character is the only Hispanic superhero to have their own show and they could potentially have a hit on their hands (if the writing is actually good).
    She isn't Hispanic. Brazil was colonized by Portugal and the native language is Portuguese.
    This right here is why I fear CW won't have the greatest handle on Yara's culture. Even in Brazil it's extremely rare to have positive representation of indigenous people. I worry she'll be just another "Hispanic" immigrant to CW executives.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    A) It isn't Wonder Woman. I don't know that many of the legions of WW fans who loved the movie will care about Wonder Girl, especially an entirely new version.
    B) I doubt many people base their viewing choices on that.
    C) Headlines are one thing; ratings and actual popularity are something else.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    She isn't Hispanic. Brazil was colonized by Portugal and the native language is Portuguese.
    This right here is why I fear CW won't have the greatest handle on Yara's culture. Even in Brazil it's extremely rare to have positive representation of indigenous people. I worry she'll be just another "Hispanic" immigrant to CW executives.
    Well, someone at DC got it once; it was a plot point in the final issue of the Power Girl solo. But as to indigenous people, I'm not sure what you want from them. AFAIK, there are likely hundreds of tribes, all with different cultures, and if anyone from one of them was going to become a superhero in Brazil; they'd probably mostly speak Portuguese rather than some native language only her fellow tribe members would understand. And...she IS native? Did not know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    You’re right. Hispanic was definitely the wrong description for Yara. The press releases for the show have described her as Latina. I’m not sure how an indigenous Brazilian would self identify.

A) It isn't Wonder Woman. I don't know that many of the legions of WW fans who loved the movie will care about Wonder Girl, especially an entirely new version.
    B) I doubt many people base their viewing choices on that.
    C) Headlines are one thing; ratings and actual popularity are something else.
    I guess we’ll have to wait and see if audiences respond.
    Last edited by Robotman; 11-21-2020 at 08:46 AM.

I'm curious how involved with the show Joelle Jones is, since she's creating/developing Yara.

Well, someone at DC got it once; it was a plot point in the final issue of the Power Girl solo. But as to indigenous people, I'm not sure what you want from them. AFAIK, there are likely hundreds of tribes, all with different cultures, and if anyone from one of them was going to become a superhero in Brazil; they'd probably mostly speak Portuguese rather than some native language only her fellow tribe members would understand. And...she IS native? Did not know that.
    Yes she’s Native racially, probably culturally too. Much like many of the Latino characters DC have created (ie Jaime Reyes and Jessica Cruz being other examples of Native Latinos).

Yara was based on an Indigenous Brazilian model and you can see her using the face paint typical of the Tupi-Guarani people in her Wonder Girl costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Yes she’s Native racially, probably culturally too. Much like many of the Latino characters DC have created (ie Jaime Reyes and Jessica Cruz being other examples of Native Latinos).

Yara was based on an Indigenous Brazilian model and you can see her using the face paint typical of the Tupi-Guarani people in her Wonder Girl costume.
    And in one of the covers of the Future State Wonder Woman, the one with Cerberus, I believe is Caiapora (indigenous mythological creature) riding a hog, so at least in the comics they seem to be using her origin well.

Young Justice update:

The scripts for all 26 episodes are done, 22 episodes are fully recorded, and the last 4 are partially recorded.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Greg_Weis...62059454947328

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Young Justice update:

The scripts for all 26 episodes are done, 22 episodes are fully recorded, and the last 4 are partially recorded.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Greg_Weis...62059454947328
    Is this gonna be the last season?pardon my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Not that I am aware of, all they have said for right now is that this is the fourth season. Nothing stopping them from ending it later, but for now nothing saying this is it.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Probably depends on how well the streaming numbers are on HBOMax.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

David Ramsey To Direct, Return As John Diggle & Mystery Character In the CW’s Arrowverse: https://deadline.com/2020/12/david-r...sh-1234635557/

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    David Ramsey To Direct, Return As John Diggle & Mystery Character In the CW’s Arrowverse: https://deadline.com/2020/12/david-r...sh-1234635557/
    Is John Diggle the new Nick Fury ?

I wonder how they're going to handle the GL thing.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

I assume the only reference to Diggle being GL will be him saying "I had many out this world adventures in the past year. Now I am back at ARGUS helping Lyla.".