Page 33 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Yup it bombed. Deadpool ended up 11th. Spider-verse was a hit with $35.4m. (also highest openings in dec for a animated film), Mule did well. Mary poppins is next.

Aquaman has done well in china. Sure it will do well here.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4467&p=.htm
    I heard Mortal Engines could lose up to $100 million.

Oooof!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Because it did. Im honestly surprised many people seem to disagree considering I’ve seen nothing but love for Ragnarok from most people
    Exactly. There does seem to be some effort to spin Thor Ragnarok into a bad movie in recent months on some sites.

Doesnt make a lick of sense to me because the movie was a blast.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I heard Mortal Engines could lose up to $100 million.

Oooof!
    It was such a weird choice to release it now, against tons of heavy hitters.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Exactly.

Even more baffling that a studio will spend so much on a young adult movie considering how dead the genre is.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Saw it today. Decent film,lot's of cliches and tropes(i predicted how the movie would roll without even reading spoilers)but quite enjoyable. The sad thing is,that while i like Aquaman, i just can't stand Momoa as the cool,alpha male. I was surpised how much i enjoyed Black Manta. I found him a more decent enemy for Aquaman that Orn. I hope we'll see more of him in the future, even in a new Justice League movie.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    tax dump before the end of the year probably
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

Even more baffling that a studio will spend so much on a young adult movie considering how dead the genre is.
    That's true. I think there is enough interesting enough in there, though, that it could easily have transcended its YA trappings. I mean, it doesn't but it could have.

Spekaing of mad releases, pitting Aquaman against Into the Spider-Verse may not be a problem commercially but, artistically, it does Aquaman no favours. Like I've said, I was very pleasantly surprised by Aquaman but it has absolutely nothing on the brilliance of Spider-Verse.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    Saw it today. Decent film,lot's of cliches and tropes(i predicted how the movie would roll without even reading spoilers)but quite enjoyable. The sad thing is,that while i like Aquaman, i just can't stand Momoa as the cool,alpha male. I was surpised how much i enjoyed Black Manta. I found him a more decent enemy for Aquaman that Orn. I hope we'll see more of him in the future, even in a new Justice League movie.
    This was pretty much how I felt. I was disappointed in how cheesy and cliched the script was. There are just so many characters that Wan never gets the chance to make any of them more than one-dimensional. That also translated into some wooden acting and zero chemistry between Momoa and Heard. Wonder Woman definitely was a better film overall and does a much better job at making you actually care for the characters. Despite all that, the film was fun. I guess the closest movies I'd compare it to is the Warcraft or Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets. I can see why it's popular in China It's a CGI spectacle with tons of dazzling sets and action, and that's enough to satisfy the general audience.

Down to 68% now on RT. It will be interesting to see how much legs it will have in its second or third week.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    It's in cinemas in the UK
    And in the Philippines too. It has a lot of (literally) flashy underwater visuals, some a bit overkill I agree, but as a Marvel fan I enjoyed it.

Plus Aquaman chose to have its Asian premiere here in Manila, with Momoa, Heard and Lan in attendance.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Just got back from a screening. Not gonna give any plot spoilers but just a few immediate thoughts. Amazing action sequences and fight scenes. Really impressive that you can see stuff in a movie that you haven’t seen before because at this point we’ve pretty much seen it all.

Aspects I didn’t like were the dialogue and absolutely cringe inducing banter. I’ve ragged on Marvel movies for having too much forced quips and banter but this was far worse. Almost every little joke fell flat and Momoa and Heard have zero chemistry. Their scenes were really hard to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Just got back from a screening. Not gonna give any plot spoilers but just a few immediate thoughts. Amazing action sequences and fight scenes. Really impressive that you can see stuff in a movie that you haven’t seen before because at this point we’ve pretty much seen it all.

Aspects I didn’t like were the dialogue and absolutely cringe inducing banter. I’ve ragged on Marvel movies for having too much forced quips and banter but this was far worse. Almost every little joke fell flat and Momoa and Heard have zero chemistry. Their scenes were really hard to watch.
    I have been reading the reviews, it tried to be like a marvel film. where did all this forced quips and banter come from. Non-cinematic comic movies never needed any of it. why can't MCU and DCU just drop it. it's like they are scared to take their story seriously.

Ultimate Member

Aquaman is a very, very fun movie.

The visuals are amazing. And the action is just fantastic. The way movie went across the various kingdoms is something i hoped to see in the first two Thor movies (that we didnt get). Jason Momoa played his version of the character very well. Patrick Wilson is always good. But Amber Heard was...ok. I actually didn't recognize Lundgren with all the red hair.

However, (and this isn't a term you hear much anymore) the movie did seem slightly over produced and the characters and characterisation suffered for it. Black Manta was wasted and the characters were too one-dimensional and one note.

Wan did show how skilful he is here but i think the movie tried a bit too hard to make everyone look cool that it started to become a bit ridiculous. Some of the funny scenes seemed forced, it didn't come naturally at all.

All in all, it was a good movie but not as good as Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman
    Aquaman
    Man of Steel

Suicide Squad

BvS/Justice League

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    There are just so many characters that Wan never gets the chance to make any of them more than one-dimensional. That also translated into some wooden acting and zero chemistry between Momoa and Heard.
    It is because Wan tried to do too much so no one got fleshed out at all. This should have been two movies. Orn was a Ronan level bad guy he was so thin.

The movie should have been something like Aquaman: The Trench and then Aquaman: Throne of Atlantis.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Looks like wb may add the early showing to the weekend gross to boost how much it makes.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4468&p=.htm

We haven't yet received a reply from WB as to how they'll be handling the Amazon Prime grosses, which Sony reported separate from the opening weekend grosses for Jumanji and Hotel Transylvania 3, but WB will likely be adding Wednesday and Thursday preview grosses to Friday's number, which also makes an accurate forecast even more difficult to nail down. As for those previews, WB will hold special Real-D previews on Wednesday night in 200+ locations beginning at 7PM followed by Thursday previews in over 3,300 locations beginning at 5PM. The film will then open in virtually every conceivable format — 2D, 3D, IMAX, Dolby Cinemas, PLF, Dine-Ins, Drive-Ins and D-Box Motion Seats — on Friday in over 4,100 theaters.

Film should do good on it's opening. Next two weeks will be the real test. (will it have legs?)