Page 16 of 782 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116516 ... LastLast
    Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

“I have no idea how your younger selves showed up. The fact that you are here is beyond mind blowing to me, but boy am I glad to see you. As to Evangeline........”

He shakes his head.

“Lookout and CC were hit first as high probability threat targets. Eva and Kai....both died, and Adam is the only reason I lived. He wrapped me up and sacrificed himself to protect me from the orbital bombardment CC got hit with. He didn’t make it after that. Well, not enough of him at least. So, without Kai and Eva, there are no dragonballs.....”
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Jinzi looked a bit....abashed.

“Constant injections are needed to combat the nanomachines that stop ki. Eventually, we discovered that those cut off from ki actually will eventually ‘dry up’ so to speak and die. Humans don’t have a lot to begin with, so we drop pretty quickly when we get infected. I did the math and worked out how much supplies we had and picked those that were the strongest that we had, which was about 50 or so. The rest I may......have but into a crap ton of Capsules as a form of suspended animation.”

The last is said quickly.

“We really didn’t have the supplies or injections, and this way I could transport people easier and they would be protected.....”
    Of course they would die. While ki wasn't quite as vital as life energy, the body did require it to function properly. Remove it and the body would become disrupted, eventually to the point of death. It was a rare occurrence, thankfully, though these Lyne had apparently found a way to weaponize the effect.

Nevanlinna was also quite pleased to find out that these capsules could be used on living creatures, though... at what cost?

"Might there be any side-effects from using your capsules as suspended animation devices?"
    The poster formerly known as Daiyoukai Ramza.

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Bird of Qin, Ou Ki View Post
    Of course they would die. While ki wasn't quite as vital as life energy, the body did require it to function properly. Remove it and the body would become disrupted, eventually to the point of death. It was a rare occurrence, thankfully, though these Lyne had apparently found a way to weaponize the effect.

Nevanlinna was also quite pleased to find out that these capsules could be used on living creatures, though... at what cost?

"Might there be any side-effects from using your capsules as suspended animation devices?"
    “Well.......probably not. Well........only a small chance. I actually had to make new ones, as a normal Capsule won’t contain a living being.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

“Well.......probably not. Well........only a small chance. I actually had to make new ones, as a normal Capsule won’t contain a living being.”
    "I see. Well then, please continue."

So the design she'd memorized and planned to take back home wasn't able to contain living things. Not surprising, as putting a living thing into stasis was a more delicate thing than doing the same to an inanimate object. Still, it merited further investigation, as the potential for being able to stabilize, for example, injured people while making them easily transportable to the nearest healer or doctor. It could potentially save millions of lives back home.
    The poster formerly known as Daiyoukai Ramza.

“Constant injections are needed to combat the nanomachines that stop ki. Eventually, we discovered that those cut off from ki actually will eventually ‘dry up’ so to speak and die. Humans don’t have a lot to begin with, so we drop pretty quickly when we get infected. I did the math and worked out how much supplies we had and picked those that were the strongest that we had, which was about 50 or so. The rest I may......have but into a crap ton of Capsules as a form of suspended animation.”

“We really didn’t have the supplies or injections, and this way I could transport people easier and they would be protected.....”
    That caused Midori to stop considering building a personalized assault vehicle OR why they're 20 years in the future.

"So, you have most of the world in Capsules save your personally-chosen guardians... Or at least those still alive?" Shiro asked, Midori blinking before looking at her hands and back to Jinzi.

"If I can ask, what about Shiro and me? I downloaded enough science roughly 20 years and 6 or so months ago into my brain to... well, basically be a master of engineering, robots, and other sciences needed for me to design and build upgrades for myself and Shiro. That also gives me the knowledge that injections don't really work on gynoids."

"I suppose we could study ourselves and figure out a solution given time." Shiro said, Midori nodding in agreement.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

“Constant injections are needed to combat the nanomachines that stop ki. Eventually, we discovered that those cut off from ki actually will eventually ‘dry up’ so to speak and die. Humans don’t have a lot to begin with, so we drop pretty quickly when we get infected. I did the math and worked out how much supplies we had and picked those that were the strongest that we had, which was about 50 or so. The rest I may......have put into a crap ton of Capsules as a form of suspended animation.”

“I have no idea how your younger selves showed up. The fact that you are here is beyond mind blowing to me, but boy am I glad to see you. As to Evangeline........”

He shakes his head.

“Lookout and CC were hit first as high probability threat targets. Eva and Kai....both died, and Adam is the only reason I lived. He wrapped me up and sacrificed himself to protect me from the orbital bombardment CC got hit with. He didn’t make it after that. Well, not enough of him at least. So, without Kai and Eva, there are no dragonballs.....”
    Ishtar listened as Jinzi continued.

It was a grim tale, by any measure. Beings from outside the known universe that had swept over Earth unannounced. Though even the genius himself had no idea how such a jump of twenty years forward occurred. And based on what was provided, it may have been something more, besides. Adam had died, during that initial attack, sacrificed himself to save the man before them now ... if he was here; either the machine was pulled from a time before the dying- likely- or this was a divergent timeline. Which might explain why the Aspect of Time had not intervened- it was not an aberration so much as a conflating of two timelines, one of which had suffered multiple aberrations- and yet ... the golden-eyed Oni was not versed in such things. Only guesswork to attempt to make sense of all that had been relayed.

At hearing Evangeline, and the Ronin Kai were dead however ...

"Our options are limited then."

There was another ... issue, one that gnawed slowly at the back of Ishtar's mind. Many of those she had come to know had found their way to Capital City. Etrina, and Erosa,. Zaofan, and Jack. Held. Ochazuke. Meagan. Midori, and her sister Shiro. Sarada ... most had found themselves yet there was one familiar presence, and one that was of a now particular fondness, that remained absent.

"... What of Asha'rah ?"
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    That caused Midori to stop considering building a personalized assault vehicle OR why they're 20 years in the future.

"So, you have most of the world in Capsules save your personally-chosen guardians... Or at least those still alive?" Shiro asked, Midori blinking before looking at her hands and back to Jinzi.

"If I can ask, what about Shiro and me? I downloaded enough science roughly 20 years and 6 or so months ago into my brain to... well, basically be a master of engineering, robots, and other sciences needed for me to design and build upgrades for myself and Shiro. That also gives me the knowledge that injections don't really work on gynoids."

"I suppose we could study ourselves and figure out a solution given time." Shiro said, Midori nodding in agreement.
    “Shiro and Midori were our top line fighters until two years back. Midori was too damaged to continue fighting. We put her into storage in hopes of repairing her later, though her consciousness is hooked up to our main computers. She’s our eyes and ears. Shiro is our Med tech. She’s actually the one who teleported us here.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Ishtar listened as Jinzi continued.

It was a grim tale, by any measure. Beings from outside the known universe that had swept over Earth unannounced. Though even the genius himself had no idea how such a jump of twenty years forward occurred. And based on what was provided, it may have been something more, besides. Adam had died, during that initial attack, sacrificed himself to save the man before them now ... if he was here; either the machine was pulled from a time before the dying- likely- or this was a divergent timeline. Which might explain why the Aspect of Time had not intervened- it was not an aberration so much as a conflating of two timelines, one of which had suffered multiple aberrations- and yet ... the golden-eyed Oni was not versed in such things. Only guesswork to attempt to make sense of all that had been relayed.

At hearing Evangeline, and the Ronin Kai were dead however ...

"Our options are limited then."

There was another ... issue, one that gnawed slowly at the back of Ishtar's mind. Many of those she had come to know had found their way to Capital City. Etrina, and Erosa,. Zaofan, and Jack. Held. Ochazuke. Meagan. Midori, and her sister Shiro. Sarada ... most had found themselves yet there was one familiar presence, and one that was of a now particular fondness, that remained absent.

"... What of Asha'rah ?"
    “Gone. She wasn’t planetside when the Lyne appeared. We never knew where she went.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

He shakes his head.

"Do you have any of my substance that survived?"

“Shiro and Midori were our top line fighters until two years back. Midori was too damaged to continue fighting. We put her into storage in hopes of repairing her later, though her consciousness is hooked up to our main computers. She’s our eyes and ears. Shiro is our Med tech. She’s actually the one who teleported us here.”
    At hearing this, Ishtar nodded slowly, before glancing at Jinzi. "So there are two Shiro, now ?"

“Gone. She wasn’t planetside when the Lyne appeared. We never knew where she went.”
    That she was not on Earth, at least confirmed that she had not died during the same assault that had taken the lives of both Evangeline, and Ronin Kai ... and yet there was little in the way of relief. When the golden-eyed Oni had seen her last, they had arrived just outside of Dusk City. A week had passed then, and now they were twenty years in the future. That the former Goddess had departed after just arriving was ... strange. Though in the end, perhaps something had tugged at her, as it had Ishtar herself those short six months ... no, twenty years ... ago.

Yet she left without saying goodbye ...

After a moment, Ishtar's shoulder's sagged slightly, before offering Jinzi a nod.

"I .. I see."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Midori frowned, rubbing her arm as she said "That is rather unsettling to think about, my consciousness hooked up to computers while my body is in storage."

Shiro looked to Jinzi and asked "What exactly do you mean by my being your Med tech?"
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

The knot in Meagan's stomach grew again as she heard the story, about Eva anbd Kai, about the invasion. This reminded her of Chroma, only worse. At least when Chroma was invaded, it was more conventional warfare. Countless died, but they still had a fighting chance. Though thinking of Chroma made her anxiety even worse, but this she kept that to herself.

"I was on the planet Symbos, training with Master Nyklos. At some point in my travel back to Earth, I suspect that my spaceship and I were jumped into this future. We know those who can manipulate time. I suspect someone had foreknowledge of what was going to happen and responded the only way they could. They grabbed as many of us as they could from the past and shifted us to the future."
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Retired Overlord

He leads them quickly, dashing through back alleys and over piles of ruined buildings. More of the Lyne robots began pursuing them, but once they got to a point, Jinzi threw down a small device. It whirled and began glowing blue.

As more Lyne begin showing up, Jinzi smirks and throws a rude gesture to them before a sphere of blue energy surrounds the group and they vanish.

—————

The sphere reappears in what looks like a large warehouse/garage. Multiple assault vehicles and racks of shelving holding parts, supplies, and other things surround them.

“Welcome to Charlie Base everyone.”
    Etrina took a moment to take the entire scene in, every grand and ridiculous part of it. "I just want to make sure I'm keeping up here.....but your the president of the world government now, and your fighting what looks like a guerrilla war against robotic invaders 20 years in the future....and nanomachines in the air, do you have any idea how much I hate nanomachines in the air! Feel like I'll never take enough baths after this."

Absentmindedly scratching her arm, Etrina examined the gear around her to take her mind off things for a moment.

“Well, about fifteen years ago a lovely alien race called the Lyne from another universe, which is something I didn’t even know was a thing, decided they wanted Earth. But they aren’t great fighters, so they release a dual purpose nanomachine attack. Half work as EMP’s against our tech, the other half shuts down ki, like a planetary ki binder.”

He shrugs.

“After the initial EMP attack, they landed and started taking over. I eventually figured out how to cancel most of the EMP attack and the ki attack out, but by then they had cut Earth off from any outside assistance. GP sent a few cruisers to help, but the nanomachines are concentrated too densely in the atmosphere and any ship coming in crashes. Last we heard they quarantined Earth so the Lyne couldn’t spread.”
    "Great....and we're so neck deep in robots nobody wants to come near us. I suppose we should be thankful nobody has put destroying our planet along with the lyne on the table yet." Etrina sighed. ".....still.....the ability to cross dimensions.....I didn't think that was possible. Certainly the theory exists, but its never been accomplished before.....maybe that's a good thing considering whats on the other side."

"... What of Asha'rah ?"
    "Asha'rawr?" Erosa perked up.

...and then Erosa immediately unperked. ".......oh..."

Retired Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The knot in Meagan's stomach grew again as she heard the story, about Eva anbd Kai, about the invasion. This reminded her of Chroma, only worse. At least when Chroma was invaded, it was more conventional warfare. Countless died, but they still had a fighting chance. Though thinking of Chroma made her anxiety even worse, but this she kept that to herself.

"I was on the planet Symbos, training with Master Nyklos. At some point in my travel back to Earth, I suspect that my spaceship and I were jumped into this future. We know those who can manipulate time. I suspect someone had foreknowledge of what was going to happen and responded the only way they could. They grabbed as many of us as they could from the past and shifted us to the future."
    "I only knew about two people who control time....well three, but I'm not that good yet." Etrina commented. "While I can't say much for one of them.....I'm pretty sure we would have known by now if it had been the other." She paused, glancing at Ishtar.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Midori frowned, rubbing her arm as she said "That is rather unsettling to think about, my consciousness hooked up to computers while my body is in storage."

Shiro looked to Jinzi and asked "What exactly do you mean by my being your Med tech?"
    "If there are two of you in this future, that is significant." Meagan nearly laughed at the irony of her talking like a smart person, "I think Jinzi might agree that there might be a split in the timeline. That whomever brought us here, whoever had that kind of power, in doing so split the timeline twenty or more years ago. Basically one version of you and Midori and Adam, at least, maybe more, existed up until he invasion. Some of us, maybe all of us, might come from a timeline where there was no invasion." she shrugs, "Just guessing."
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.