Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chris Miller & Phil Lord to Develop Spider-Man based TV shows for Sony

https://deadline.com/2019/08/spider-...tv-1202663810/

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse executive producer Chris Miller can’t talk yet about the upcoming suite of TV series based on the Marvel characters that Sony controls, but he’s got a plan of how it is all going to work.

“We are developing a handful of live-action shows using Sony’s Marvel characters, of which there are like 900 characters,” the Bless the Harts EP told Deadline on Wednesday at TCA about the top secret project(s). “We’re figuring out a way to develop the shows so that each are their own unique experience but are also related.”

While Miller wouldn’t confirm the stories were going to be drawn from the Spider-Man canon, he made it clear that element of the big overall deal with Sony Pictures TV he and Phil Lord have is a hot ticket in town.

“We’ve been talking to a lot of potential teammates for trying to do something not like anything else that’s been done on television,” Miller teased as he weaved away from being pinned down on Netflix or anyone else. “It’ll be a little while before it all comes together and is on the air, but I think it is going to be something really special,” he added with a literal wink.

“Hopefully we’ll know in the next few months where it’ll be and what the schedule will be,” was all Miller would say when asked whether the eventual destination for the multi-pronged projects could be Netflix.
    who knows. Almost any character can be updated, remixed with an interesting hook. So it just depends on who the creatives want to settle on and how they want to go from there.
    My pitch for an idea that has "no chance" but could still be intriguing if done right, is a Daily Bugle crime drama with Joe Robertson as a slightly younger reporter (mid-late 30s, Randy is about 8-9), no superheroes (yet), and Jonah is part of the supporting cast. If the producers insist on a "meta hero" angle, my pick would be Hector Ayala the first white tiger. In the comics it seemed like they retconned him to being quite a bit older by the time he died. here he could be a mostly shadowy, whispered hero in East Harlem.
    Jonah here would be another actor (blasphemy!) and he would be less over the top as he is in the comics and movies. He would still have components of being a reactionary and egotism, but Robbie's reporting and personality, challenging Jonah, are part of the series tension. (We can see Jonah's tendency for negative editorial spins in his op-eds; we could see the invention of the nickname "Robbie" by Jonah; which Robbie largely hates).
    Like I said, no chance, but just my fun random fan idea.

I'll definitely be interested to hear what shows they come up with and which characters will be used. I suppose a simple live action Spider-Man TV series wi too much to ask for, so who else they got that they don't intend to make into movie stars?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'll definitely be interested to hear what shows they come up with and which characters will be used. I suppose a simple live action Spider-Man TV series wi too much to ask for, so who else they got that they don't intend to make into movie stars?
    Considering I doubt that the Black Cat and Silver Sable movies are happening, I could see them having TV shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Considering I doubt that the Black Cat and Silver Sable movies are happening, I could see them having TV shows.
    I don't know about that - having successfully pulled off a profitable Venom solo movie, a very well received animated Spider-Verse film, and looking at female led successes from DC and MCU like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel, I can definitely see them wanting to push their own female superhero movie too.

BANNED

This is among the most unexciting news I've heard all year, and I'm a huge Spiderman fan. No interest at all in seeing a bunch of Spiderman franchises an done poorly on TV

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    This is among the most unexciting news I've heard all year, and I'm a huge Spiderman fan. No interest at all in seeing a bunch of Spiderman franchises an done poorly on TV
    What makes you assume they'll be poorly done?

Edit: I mean it seems like the guy behind the very well done Spider-Verse is behind it, so you'd think the assumption would lean more towards well done since that was so quality...

I don't know about that - having successfully pulled off a profitable Venom solo movie, a very well received animated Spider-Verse film, and looking at female led successes from DC and MCU like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel, I can definitely see them wanting to push their own female superhero movie too.
    As much as I love the character I don't think either Black Cat or Silver Sable warrant a major motion picture based around them, nor do I think they'd get the same level of effort that Spider-Verse got.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As much as I love the character I don't think either Black Cat or Silver Sable warrant a major motion picture based around them, nor do I think they'd get the same level of effort that Spider-Verse got.
    Yeah, but it doesn't matter whether we think they warrant a major motion picture based on them (did anyone think Venom really warranted one?), it's whether the studio wants to do one or not, and considering the recent success of other female superheroes I could see them making that decision at least. Personally I agree with you that I don't think they warrant such a film or films, but I'm not going to count out the possibility of such films because of that.

And eh, even if it won't get Spider-Verse effort I'll still probably watch a Venom level of effort film.

BANNED

What makes you assume they'll be poorly done?

Edit: I mean it seems like the guy behind the very well done Spider-Verse is behind it, so you'd think the assumption would lean more towards well done since that was so quality...
    I am in the minority in believing Spiderverse was not particularly well-done. I was squirming through lout it and nearly walked out. It was all Saturday morning cartoon "AHHHHHhhhh" action and little characterization.

But I assume my reaction is due to my age, given the general reception the film got. I just wanted a lot more meat to the story. Certainly did not want Kingpin as the primary villain in a multiverse story.

I am in the minority in believing Spiderverse was not particularly well-done. I was squirming through lout it and nearly walked out. It was all Saturday morning cartoon "AHHHHHhhhh" action and little characterization.

But I assume my reaction is due to my age, given the general reception the film got. I just wanted a lot more meat to the story. Certainly did not want Kingpin as the primary villain in a multiverse story.
    Huh, maybe. Couldn't tell you, I'm 32 now, so 31 last year when it came out, and I thought it was great. Definitely one of my favorite theatrical superhero films in a while, and thought Kingpin was a pretty good villain here. Of course I grew up with the 90s Spider-Man cartoon so Kingpin utilizing a whole lot of crazy tech in his criminal undertakings is something I'm okay with.

BANNED

Huh, maybe. Couldn't tell you, I'm 32 now, so 31 last year when it came out, and I thought it was great. Definitely one of my favorite theatrical superhero films in a while, and thought Kingpin was a pretty good villain here. Of course I grew up with the 90s Spider-Man cartoon so Kingpin utilizing a whole lot of crazy tech in his criminal undertakings is something I'm okay with.
    The Kingpin I'm familiar with is sort of Netflix Daredevil Kingpin, an underworld crime lord (though a lot more confident and competent than the Netflix version). Very grounded.

The Kingpin I'm familiar with is sort of Netflix Daredevil Kingpin, an underworld crime lord (though a lot more confident and competent than the Netflix version). Very grounded.
    Could be the problem, I definitely feel like at least some inspiration was taken from the old Spider-Man cartoon, where he's still an underworld crime lord, but one who often hires the crazy science villains Spider-Man has in his rogues gallery, which makes a lot of sense when you're utilizing him as a Spider-Man villain like he originally appeared as and like this movie did. You're probably more used to him only fighting Daredevil really, and Daredevil's rogues are a lot more grounded than Spider-Man's, because Daredevil himself is a lot more grounded. It's still a legit take I think, because much of the general audience might be more familiar with the cartoon version vs the Netflix version (let's not talk about the Fox Daredevil movie version...), and Daredevil did premiere as a Spidey villain first. In fact you could argue if Kingpin had largely remained a Spider-Man villain instead of transitioning to Daredevil he would have been much as you saw him in the Spider-Verse.

I don't know, just my two cents. It wasn't out of my comfort zone for the character and what I'd seen him in before. Plus he has the benefit of being a Kingpin from another universe where Doc Ock is a woman and Scorpion speaks Spanish and has freaking robot legs.

BANNED

You're probably more used to him only fighting Daredevil really, and Daredevil's rogues are a lot more grounded than Spider-Man's, because Daredevil himself is a lot more grounded. It's still a legit take I think, because much of the general audience might be more familiar with the cartoon version vs the Netflix version (let's not talk about the Fox Daredevil movie version...), and Daredevil did premiere as a Spidey villain first. In fact you could argue if Kingpin had largely remained a Spider-Man villain instead of transitioning to Daredevil he would have been much as you saw him in the Spider-Verse.

I don't know, just my two cents. It wasn't out of my comfort zone for the character and what I'd seen him in before. Plus he has the benefit of being a Kingpin from another universe where Doc Ock is a woman and Scorpion speaks Spanish and has freaking robot legs.
    Actually I'm more familiar with him pre-Spiderman 200, where he was a crime boss.

Actually I'm more familiar with him pre-Spiderman 200, where he was a crime boss.
    I don't think there's any version where he isn't a crime boss, even in Spider-Verse I think it's implied he's a crime boss, hence how he can hire so many supervillains to work for him. It's just his motive was a lot more personal this time than his usual crime lord business. I mean he's not a mad scientist himself causing multiverse shenanigans, he just has the means to get mad scientists to create multiverse shenanigans for him. At the end he's still just the same crime lord, just one in a setting where he can hire monsters like Doc Ock to do his bidding.

BANNED

I don't think there's any version where he isn't a crime boss, even in Spider-Verse I think it's implied he's a crime boss, hence how he can hire so many supervillains to work for him. It's just his motive was a lot more personal this time than his usual crime lord business. I mean he's not a mad scientist himself causing multiverse shenanigans, he just has the means to get mad scientists to create multiverse shenanigans for him. At the end he's still just the same crime lord, just one in a setting where he can hire monsters like Doc Ock to do his bidding.
    By "crime boss" I mean Al Capone style crime boss. A guy interested in personal wealth more than anything else, save for his wife. No connections with super science stuff. The original intent.