Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Ca-ca poo-poo. The Flash said it. Worst Bendis moment ever.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerr View Post
    I never said that I found it unbelievable. I just find it stupid and that it really dumbs down the whole idea behind the power rings if a little kid out of kindergarten is able to "hack" it
    Okay, your overstatement is a bit much. Because "teen" definitely does not equal "kindergarten". And come on. There's lots of stuff in these comics that's stupid and other readers eat it up. I've thought the "Emotional Spectrum" concept was stupid since Johns introduced it.

The main issue that I have is that we were already going to have a "Teen Lantern" this year, Tai Le, who was already a much more well thought out and interesting character from just the Solicits, so it really feels like Bendis just got in early to steal the thunder. (Even though I think Tai is gonna be Elseworld only).
    That said, I don't think Main Universe Teen Lantern is going to stay around long after Bendis leaves Young Justice, there will probably be one throwaway line about the Guardians beefing up security wrt the rings. The only reason you'd need to worry is if she interacted with Hal, John or Kyle, then she'd be considered officially Lanternfam.

Green Lantern stopped being special a few decades back when there were thousands of them and crazy changes kept happening.
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bito Wladon View Post
    The main issue that I have is that we were already going to have a "Teen Lantern" this year, Tai Le, who was already a much more well thought out and interesting character from just the Solicits, so it really feels like Bendis just got in early to steal the thunder. (Even though I think Tai is gonna be Elseworld only).
    That said, I don't think Main Universe Teen Lantern is going to stay around long after Bendis leaves Young Justice, there will probably be one throwaway line about the Guardians beefing up security wrt the rings. The only reason you'd need to worry is if she interacted with Hal, John or Kyle, then she'd be considered officially Lanternfam.
    Who's Tai Le?

https://www.blogofoa.com/2018/02/gre...ls-emerge.html
    Green Lantern: Legacy is gonna be a series aimed at younger audiences, so they kinda needed to create an all new character for younger audiences to relate to.
    (also Le is the surname of the author, not the character, sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I think if you're frustrated by the concept of a Teen Lantern you're probably not the right person to read Young Justice. The book is only three issues in, and so far while we know more than you're indicating we still don't know very much about her.

This is a very silly thing to be agitated about. Don't read the book.
    I see you completely missed the point. It's not so much about her age rather than the way she was introduced and said to have
    Hacked a power ring somehow.
    It doesn't matter how or why. She wasn't chosen by the ring, she tricked it. And you can't just trick a ring and suddenly be able to wield it perfectly. The ring is supposed to scan the closest inhabited planet and select the most suitable being to harness its power. The new recruits are then always sent to OA and have to go through training. Her just being able to hack the ring and wield it perfectly just takes the magic away from it. And its really just insulting the whole lore behind the GLC. The fact that she is like 12 years old only amplifies it. Now if there was some level of thought behind it I might be on board, but knowing Bendis I highly doubt it. And besides the earth is getting kind of overcrowded with lanterns any way. Only reason I read this in the first place was because I was exited to see Bart back. But regardless if I read it or not you think this won't have any ripple affect on the dcu? Brandis has hardly been at DC for a year and is already creating new characters left and right disregarding continuity and shifting the status quo without the slightest understanding for these characters. And once he does eventually drop them do you think they're just going to disappear into thin air? Yeah probably not...
    And a side note: Its never silly to be considered for something you care about

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Okay, your overstatement is a bit much. Because "teen" definitely does not equal "kindergarten". And come on. There's lots of stuff in these comics that's stupid and other readers eat it up. I've thought the "Emotional Spectrum" concept was stupid since Johns introduced it.
    What you takin about bro?! The emotional spectrum is one of the most genius concepts ever put to paper (regarding comics)
    It completely reinvented the entire mythos and basically revitalized a pretty much dead concept. Not only that it brought us one of the most epic DC events to date - Blackest Night!!!
    That's the first time a heard someone call it stupid lol
    You either haven't read into it or are just being a hater.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerr View Post
    I have honestly never heard one person ask for a "teen lantern" like ever...And what's the deal with it being "Teen" lantern. Once you get recruited into the corps you are a GREEN Lantern plain and simple regardless of your age. And another thing, the green lanterns are a intergalactic police force not a daycare center. You don't get a sidekick, you get a partner.
    Do you see now why this idea so flawed. It makes no sense. And besides how many more green lanterns is earth going to have. Pretty soon it's going to be a corps all on its own.
    I don't know about the superman theory but there's definitely something going on with the green lantern theory.
    Please, Mr. Bendis sir, may we please have a Teen Lantern? Please?

There -- now you've heard of someone asking for a Teen Lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Green Lantern stopped being special a few decades back when there were thousands of them and crazy changes kept happening.
    And this.

Seriously, Green Lantern and its multitude of supporting characters were barely touched by the horror that was the New 52. For one of their fans to start screaming now because a minor character has been added to GL lore after what was done to the Justice Society and other characters the past several years -- I find that hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Obviously I was being sarcastic about her age, but given the way she talks and acts she might as well be out of kindergarten

Extraordinary Member

I think this is hardly the thing to have a cow over. If we really wanted to draw a line, we should have done it when DC decided to introduce Little Barda and Zachary Zatara. Hacking a GL ring is just a tongue in cheek way to introduce a new character. They know that it sounds impossible. That’s kind of the point.

Quote Originally Posted by WTNew View Post
    Please, Mr. Bendis sir, may we please have a Teen Lantern? Please?

There -- now you've heard of someone asking for a Teen Lantern.

And this.

Seriously, Green Lantern and its multitude of supporting characters were barely touched by the horror that was the New 52. For one of their fans to start screaming now because a minor character has been added to GL lore after what was done to the Justice Society and other characters the past several years -- I find that hilarious.
    I guess you lack the ability to read and comprehend if that's all you got from all this.
    Also your plea Is quite redundant at this point.

Fantastic Member

I agree with Jokerr and actually see where he's coming from. Here we have a 'New' character, three issues in and frankly underdeveloped, whilst Bendis mines the 'feel good nostalgic' factor of 'established' characters. He should be putting flesh on the bones of his own creations foremost. The character's prose does sound kindergarten. Frankly don't believe Bendis has a goal plan, just makes it up as he goes along. Probably heard the idea, thought cool, I'll get kudos for this, and dived straight in without any foreplanning. Frankly, sloppy. Have abandoned his 'Superman' titles. All that wonderful foundation built up with 'Rebirth' and he tears it down within a six issue mini-series! Ruined Jon Kent. No development, just plot device to age him up!? Continuity' out the window. Wouldn't mind if the storytelling was good. Gave 'Young Justice' try, pleasantly surprised, but he really needs to 'cement' these introductory characters sooner rather than later. If he Hasn't thought it out, needs to fast, so to retain any good feeling he had left. A few more issues should tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I think this is hardly the thing to have a cow over. If we really wanted to draw a line, we should have done it when DC decided to introduce Little Barda and Zachary Zatara. Hacking a GL ring is just a tongue in cheek way to introduce a new character. They know that it sounds impossible. That’s kind of the point.
    So what you're saying is it doesn't matter what lazy plot devices they throw at you, even if It disregards everything established so far and cheapens the integrity of the characters and mythos as long as it moves the plot forward. Gotcha!
    And everyone wonders why comics are getting so dull...
    Last edited by Jokerr; 03-23-2019 at 10:25 AM.

I'm not really bothered by it. It's a bit too early to tell imo anyway, since we know almost nothing about her.

Plus, it was Patrick Gleason who introduced the concept of Teen Lantern to Bendis (from this interview).

I remember reading back around NYCC that it would tie in to what Morrison and Sharp are doing, so it seems theymight be on board with it too.

Also, aside from the recent Cyborg Superman arc, hasn't hasn't the ring's tech been utilized before? I could've sworn I saw in a wiki article or something that Batman has reverse engineered how the ring's communicate, for example, so he could call Hal's ring. I think that was a thing.