View Poll Results: Who is Bruce's best love interest?

Voters
321. You may not vote on this poll
  • Catwoman

179 55.76%
  • Talia al Ghul

45 14.02%
  • Vicki Vale

7 2.18%
  • Julie Madison

10 3.12%
  • Silver St. Cloud

20 6.23%
  • Sasha Bordeaux

3 0.93%
  • Wonder Woman

27 8.41%
  • Black Canary

2 0.62%
  • Shondra Kinsolving

0 0%
  • Katherine "Kathy" Webb-Kane

2 0.62%
  • Andrea Beaumont

7 2.18%
  • Vesper Fairchild

2 0.62%
  • Barbara Gordon

1 0.31%
  • Rachel Dawes

0 0%
  • Other (please state)

16 4.98%
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Nocturna was always my favorite...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomune View Post
    The lack of option to vote Zatanna makes me sad
    Oh wait. Zatanna's my favorite.

Amazing Member

Catwoman, no question.

Astonishing Member

The Batman-Catwoman narrative has been a part of the comics since 1940, all the way back to the very first Catwoman story! And variants of it have appeared in virtually every continuity and adaptation.

The basic thread is the same. Batman and Catwoman (or Bruce and Selina) meet and there is an attraction, though they find themselves on opposite sides of the law. Bruce develops a soft corner for Selina and wishes to reform her. Eventually, Selina reveals her redeeming qualities and moves closer to the side of the angels (either completely or partially), allowing them to develop some kind of relationship...which may or may not last. But the dynamic between them fundamentally changes from hero vs. villain to something else.

We've seen this story on Earth 2. We've seen it on Earth 1. We've seen it in the Post COIE continuity and in the New 52. We've seen in on BTAS. We've seen it in the Nolanverse. We're seeing a take on the beginnings of it on Gotham. And I haven't played the Arkham games but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some version of it in that universe as well.

Across continuities and mediums, there are some common narrative threads. There's Batman's origin story of course, and that of Robin. There's the conflict with the Joker. And there's some version of the Batman-Catwoman story.

No question about it Bruce's love interest, his true love if you will, is Selina Kyle aka Catwoman in my opinion.

[Maybe a new thread could be started for the torture discussion. That's very off topic and deserves it's own thread.]
    [ps - Batman tortures a *lot* and torture has been proven in the real world to not work *reliably*]

Thanks bat39 for eloquently arguing what I think should be obvious to any fan of the Gotham world: Catwoman is the most intense, longest and enduring love interest for Batman.

This is so obvious that I'm a bit surprised by many comments in the thread though to be fair the OP said "Who is Bruce's best love interest?" which is very subjective. How can things like what is the best sport or the best Civil War history be decided?

But in this case I think Catwoman is also clearly the best. From Batman #1 Bruce was smitten by proto-Catwoman. So much so he got in Robin's way to help her escape as she dove off the boat! "Lovely Girl! What eyes! ... Maybe I'll bump into her again sometime."
    Here's the scan from earlier in this thread:
    http://community.comicbookresources....l=1#post102134

I'd really like to hear a logical argument on why another Batman love interest is better than Catwoman.

And the argument for Talia or Wondie or Silver shouldn't just be:
    1. "I hate Catwoman"
    2. "X could kick Catwoman's butt"
    3. "Catwoman was awful in the Catwoman movie" (true but she's not Selina Kyle)
    4. "Catwoman was awful in Dark Knight Rises" (debatable)
    5. "Nolan's Batman world is awful"
    6. "Snyder is great and will make the best Batman movie ever"

Here's my argument *for* Catwoman/Selina Kyle as Batman's "best" love interest:
    1. In Batman #1 he is smitten by a beautiful, skilled, willful criminal; so much so he helped her escape
    2. Many other Golden Age encounters with Batman attracted/interest in Catwoman
    3. Bronze Age: he gets married and has Helena with Selina; that's pretty dang "best"!
    4. Modern Age: many, many example including the one below
    5. Batman Returns: Pfeiffer and Keaton created an intense, fiery Bats/Cats on screen presence (maybe related to their dating previously IRL)
    6. TDKR: though a step(s) down from BR IMO, Bruce and Selina were again intertwined hurting/helping/attracted to each other

I'm not big on the DCAU or Batman 66 but I think Bats and Cats mix it up in those worlds too.

So non-Catwoman supporters, what are your logical arguments for your best Batman love interest? Logical examples could include:
    Talia al Ghul - she and Batman had Damian, she could be reformed which might change her dad for the better too
    Wonder Woman - a pure "good" super with no Selina or Talia gray or flat out villain qualities
    Shondra Kinsolving - Batman almost married her, she was all about healing and helping others

Oh, and can any non-Catwoman supporters answer or explain away this?

Tonight I'm only sure of one thing.
    Whatever the future holds, wherever life takes me...
    I will love you.
    Always.

Detective Comics 850 2009-01 Heart of Hush (Part 5 of 5) "The Demon in the Mirror"

Last edited by heyevaxx; 03-06-2015 at 09:45 PM.

^ That's one interpretation of the character and definitely not the one in the public conscious. Batman has had many love interests and is the most popular superhero in the world. Catwoman is a pop culture icon

If you prefer Batman as edge, that's cool. But don't pretend like that's the only thing people want. Batman hasn't been as edgy as you say he should be in previous films yet he still managed to be the most popular superhero in the world (or 2nd after Spider-Man). Don't fix what ain't broke and try and make him even darker. You need a good balance. Batman is a hero in the end, not some Tony Soprano type antihero

And please God no. Snyder shouldn't even be put in the same league as Tarantino. I can already imagine him trying to make a Tarantino style film. Almost gave me a heart attack

Again, I'd like to see a rebuttal to what heyevaxx and bat39 have said. Don't derail the topic into Snyder

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    While you're posting scenes from TDKR, what about the scene where he kisses Selina Kyle/Catwoman before fleeing the cops to chase Joker down at the fair.
    Joker sees Selina, older, grown fat, and he says the years have not been kind to her. When Batman sees Selina, he wipes off that mind controlling lipstick and kisses her. Miller's Batman, while old and alone sure, obviously still loves Selina.
    Irrelevant since Batman did not end up with her by the end of the movie. There were just filler scenes with no real importance to the plot and Batman as a character. Even Miller recognizes that Catwoman does not work.

Besides, Batman should be badass. Being badass doesn't mean being a lonely virgin lol. Part of the reason people like him isn't just that he kicks ass, but that he's a crime fighting lady slaying machine. And Catwoman is the biggest part of that. Their whole flirting dynamic has been very popular. Don't change that just because you wanna make Batman some emo loner who sits in his dark room cutting himself and looking at pictures of his parents lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    Irrelevant since Batman did not end up with her by the end of the movie. There were just filler scenes with no real importance to the plot and Batman as a character. Even Miller recognizes that Catwoman does not work.
    Not irrelevant, he could have just had Batman run out without having that last kiss. Just because he didn't wind up with Catwoman doesn't mean Batman didn't have feelings for her. That wasn't what that story was about. They didn't wind up together in Batman Returns, but their feelings in that film were still relevant.

And you didn't respond to my previous post yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    I agree that Selina did not contribute a heck of a lot to the plot development of that graphic novel, and basically just got "a few cameos" here and there for old times' sake, since longtime Batman fans would expect to see her at some point . . . but I think your final sentence goes beyond anything you've proved. What about these alternatives?

"Even Miller recognizes that Miller doesn't have it in him to write a story in which the Batman/Catwoman romance really works."

Or:

"Miller had zero interest in trying to make Catwoman work in TDKR, so he didn't even try. We just had an aging businesswoman called 'Selina' who probably hadn't worn a 'Catwoman' costume in 20 years."

Either of those would make it clear that we were just talking about Miller's personal style when handling Batman and his supporting cast, rather than some sort of "natural law of the universe" that says a Batman/Catwoman romance couldn't possibly work!

BANNED

Some would compare the Batman and Catwoman idea to the likes of Spider-man and Black Cat because of the similarities of them both. However, I would compare the Batman and Catwoman Pairing to the likes of SPider-man and Mary Jane Watson as these couples come from tragic upbringings and lost only to rise above them and become something of themselves to when they met and they both become better through each other.

Also due to the fact that the whole "happy Ending" having a daughter idea is so good for both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Some would compare the Batman and Catwoman idea to the likes of Spider-man and Black Cat because of the similarities of them both. However, I would compare the Batman and Catwoman Pairing to the likes of SPider-man and Mary Jane Watson as these couples come from tragic upbringings and lost only to rise above them and become something of themselves to when they met and they both become better through each other.

Also due to the fact that the whole "happy Ending" having a daughter idea is so good for both of them.
    Maybe so, but I'm just thankful DC never went the marriage route with Bruce and Selina only to later magically retcon it out of mainstream existence like Marvel did with Spidey & MJ lol. What a mess that was.

Keep Batman and Catwoman chasing each other, it fits their characters and the overall plot.

Catwoman is still the best though. And she will eventually appear in the DCCU

Vigilante Buttercup

I voted for Selina/Catwoman, but I think Talia al Ghul comes in at a close second.

Bruce/Batman needs a woman who can comfort his anxieties about 'vigilantism vanguarding,' and Catwoman shares his views on pity, and Talia shares his views on creativity.