Page 279 of 374 FirstFirst ... 179229269275276277278279280281282283289329 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,185 of 5596

At this point- why is Alex's memory still wiped? When she was being hard on Supergirl and acting more like a hard-liner, it made sense and injected some additional drama into the series. But now that she's back to acting just like she did when she knew Supergirl was Kara, it seems foolish to keep up the pretense.

Also- I'm really, REALLY enjoying Otis. From ringing the bell before stepping into the ring with Supergirl, to his comment on journalists.
    Last edited by AnakinFlair; 04-21-2019 at 06:56 PM.

One minute.

I'm still not watching Supergirl, but I just watched a one minute clip from this week's episode on Facebook and even that has managed to annoy me. In just one minute, the clip manages to encapsulate so much of what's wrong with the show. To such a degree that I need to get it out of my system.

FYI, the clip is the bit where Kara goes off to save the guy in the car despite her now being a fugitive cos of the whole doppelganger/white house stuff. So Kara gets there and some random dude wants to "citizen's arrest" her. He changes his mind after about three seconds and instead decides to shoot her in the face. Because that's standard procedure for a citizen's arrest, obviously So already I'm confused. Either the guy thought shooting Supergirl would work and he figured straight-up murdering her was the best option... or he knew it wouldn't work because she's Supergirl, so he just did it for funsies?!!??

But OK. Benefit of the doubt. Plenty of bad guys have tried to shoot Supergirl (and Superman) over the years, knowing it wouldn't work. So I'll let that one slide. And we'll move on to Supergirl's response. She's being shot at by someone at reasonably close range, near a burning car and an injured civilian. She's obviously not worried about being shot but presumably she's concerned about stray bullets flying off all over the place. But hey, that's not a worry, right? Because Supergirl has Superspeed. And she could take the gun from the guy in less time than it would take to blink.

But wait. What's this? Supergirl seems to have forgotten she has Superspeed and has decided to let the guy carry on shooting at her. She stops a second bullet. And the third? OK, that one must have been going too fast, even for her (man, they're gonna have to rethink that "fasting than a speeding bullet" slogan now!). It's hard to tell, but she either misses it or intentionally deflects it towards the car. And whichever option you pick, the end result is still Supergirl being incompetent.

But we're not done. Because that bullet hits the car, setting off a small explosion. A small explosion that Supergirl flinches from. Supergirl flinches. From a small explosion. I... I just got nothing at this point.

Aside from Supergirl's typical uber-nerfing, let's go back to the other characters. The 'everyday' people of National City. Who live in a world where aliens, advanced technology, superheroes, even magic are possible. And who live in a city where Supergirl has been saving people on a daily basis for four years. And who, despite all of that, are willing to accept something they've recently seen as cast iron, irrefutable fact without entertaining even the slimmest possibility that it could have been faked. Seriously, we question stuff more in the real world and we don't have human cloning/evil robot doubles/time travel/etc as a possible explanation!!

You know what's worse than bad TV? Bad TV when it's one of your favourite characters and when it feels like it must take more effort to make the show so utterly, utterly, utterly bad than it would to just make a good Supergirl show.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Good episode. And a really funny coincidence, with them showing an obvious Assange-inspired character just a few days after his arrest.

The only thing that I found a little ridiculous was Kara quickly changing clothes to get away from Otis.....and the dumbass actually BUYING it. But then again, it was played for laughs, so why not.

And I really wonder where they'll go with James gaining powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Good episode. And a really funny coincidence, with them showing an obvious Assange-inspired character just a few days after his arrest.

The only thing that I found a little ridiculous was Kara quickly changing clothes to get away from Otis.....and the dumbass actually BUYING it. But then again, it was played for laughs, so why not.

The thought that ran through my mind in that scene- "You mean Lex never told Otis that Kara Danvers and Supergirl were the same person? Even when he was training Red Daughter to act like Kara?"

Vworp Vworp, I'll give you the citzen's arrest was stupid, and it's appalling that she didn't disarm the guy. But maybe she was trying to show them all that she wasn't a homicidal murder who would attack the White House. Maybe she was trying to appear non-threatening, and disarming the guy would only make things worse.

As for the explosion- eh, Melissa flinched. It's hard not to flinch when an explosion goes off behind you, big or not. I won't hold it against her.

Yeah, I mean I flinch too when a balloon burst next to me, even though it doesn't hurt me.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Vworp Vworp, I'll give you the citzen's arrest was stupid, and it's appalling that she didn't disarm the guy. But maybe she was trying to show them all that she wasn't a homicidal murder who would attack the White House. Maybe she was trying to appear non-threatening, and disarming the guy would only make things worse.
    Disarming the guy firing indiscriminately in the direction of an injured man and a burning vehicle would have made things worse? Worse for who? What, she was worried the guy would be like "Ha!! You stopped me from risking other lives in my clearly useless attempt to detain you!! This proves you are EEEVVIIILLL!!!"

As for the explosion- eh, Melissa flinched. It's hard not to flinch when an explosion goes off behind you, big or not. I won't hold it against her.
    Except that this isn't Melissa. It's Supergirl.

But yes, if it had just been a small natural reaction to the stunt, fair enough. But it isn't directed that way. Supergirl physically and significantly recoils from the explosion.

Much like I did from this clip.

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,

At this point- why is Alex's memory still wiped? When she was being hard on Supergirl and acting more like a hard-liner, it made sense and injected some additional drama into the series. But now that she's back to acting just like she did when she knew Supergirl was Kara, it seems foolish to keep up the pretense.

Also- I'm really, REALLY enjoying Otis. From ringing the bell before stepping into the ring with Supergirl, to his comment on journalists.
    I am guessing Alex's mind will stay wiped until either Colonel Haley leaves the DEO after the president is exposed or there is a rumor that the world finds out that Kara is Supergirl. Maybe the later even triggers Alex to regain her memories.

I don't care what anyone says, Otis is a fun guy. I like that he actually is vaguely competent and not a total wimp, unlike the movie version of Otis.

It's a pretty common practice to instantly go from Supergirl to civvies. A couple other times I recall were in season 1 where Kara is supposed to be baby sitting Cat's son. Supergirl goes to his school to pick him up.dives into some bushes
    and Kara instantly emerges wearing a dress, her hair done up, and glasses. Another time was in the season 3 premiere where James uses the signal watch and Supergirl flies in through a window at Catco, walks past a curtain, and comes
    out on the other side again wearing a dress, her hair done up, and glasses. At least in this scene a few seconds transpired, it wasn't an instantaneous change.

If he is still being Guardian he should be a little less likely to get his butt kicked in a fight.

But yes, if it had just been a small natural reaction to the stunt, fair enough. But it isn't directed that way. Supergirl physically and significantly recoils from the explosion.
    When the crook empties his gun on Superman, why does Superman just stand there, but when the crook runs out of bullets and throws the gun at Superman, why does Superman duck? If the bullets don't hurt him,
    why would Superman think an empty gun hitting him would? Obviously an instinctive reaction, just like being startled by a loud noise would happen with Supergirl.

I love the kind of bond and understanding Lena and Lex have. It's twisted, but it's kind of sweet. I like Kara and Lex's neighbor, using her journalism skills!

Sometimes I hate Haley and sometimes I like her. The president is a complete jerk, though.

That was a risky move considering Otis knew enough to get suspicious over seeing a woman in that block, but Kara was weak from the kryptonite, so it was her only play until she could get enough sun to restore her powers. I was worried Lex actually blew Otis up, I'm glad Eve was able to rescue him.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I am guessing Alex's mind will stay wiped until either Colonel Haley leaves the DEO after the president is exposed or there is a rumor that the world finds out that Kara is Supergirl. Maybe the later even triggers Alex to regain her memories.

I don't care what anyone says, Otis is a fun guy. I like that he actually is vaguely competent and not a total wimp, unlike the movie version of Otis.

It's a pretty common practice to instantly go from Supergirl to civvies. A couple other times I recall were in season 1 where Kara is supposed to be baby sitting Cat's son. Supergirl goes to his school to pick him up.dives into some bushes
    and Kara instantly emerges wearing a dress, her hair done up, and glasses. Another time was in the season 3 premiere where James uses the signal watch and Supergirl flies in through a window at Catco, walks past a curtain, and comes
    out on the other side again wearing a dress, her hair done up, and glasses. At least in this scene a few seconds transpired, it wasn't an instantaneous change.

If he is still being Guardian he should be a little less likely to get his butt kicked in a fight.

When the crook empties his gun on Superman, why does Superman just stand there, but when the crook runs out of bullets and throws the gun at Superman, why does Superman duck? If the bullets don't hurt him,
    why would Superman think an empty gun hitting him would? Obviously an instinctive reaction, just like being startled by a loud noise would happen with Supergirl.
    Because he can. That's not instinctive, it's a choice. Plus, to be honest, it's not something I've seen often enough to consider it a point of comparison, though I'm not steeped in Superman lore so fair enough if it's a regular thing that Superman is well known for.

And again, being a bit startled and Kara's reaction in that scene are poles apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Because he can. That's not instinctive, it's a choice. Plus, to be honest, it's not something I've seen often enough to consider it a point of comparison, though I'm not steeped in Superman lore so fair enough if it's a regular thing that Superman is well known for.

And again, being a bit startled and Kara's reaction in that scene are poles apart.
    Just because something can't hurt you doesn't mean you can't be startled by it. That's the whole point of a Jack in the Box toy.

Mighty Member

Jimmy's gone from being Guardian to Superman.

I must be an idiot to not have realized where they were going with "DREAMER" and the significance of her name. It's so natural to think of the LSH and Dream Girl that I actually forgot how this show is such a thinly-veiled reference to current events. Duh!

American Woman was a bit on the nose.

Nice to see Kara being a reporter.

Really wish James would have tossed Benji out the window.

I do feel bad for George loosing his mom, seeing as he has a conscious. But good riddance to bad nazi rubbish.

Great episode. Especially seeing that fucker Lockwood humiliated like that.

I wonder if it is in Melissa Benoist's contract that she gets to do a certain amount of episodes per season where she doesn't have to wear the Supergirl costume.