After sixteen years and office, you can bet he’s voted for some of the most infamous conservative legislation through the years:

Mike Rogers has the benefit of having a district that isn’t just in a red state as crimson as Alabama, the 3rd District there has a +16 Republican lean in the Cook Partisan Voting Index. Still, Mallory Hagan, a former Miss America, and author Aida McClellan Winfrey are facing off in the Democratic Primary to take their best shot at ending this Bush Era holdover that’s long since outlived his shelf life as a sane politician.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Ultimate Member

I guess we're about to see how this plays out -- probably the same as nearly every other time Republicans are voted into power.

"Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it." -- George Santayana

------

"U.S. stock index futures tumbled ahead of Wednesday's open, as concerns over a potential trade war between the U.S. and China intensified.

Around 7:30 a.m. ET, Dow Jones industrial average futures indicated a drop of 460 points at the start of trading in New York. The Nasdaq 100 and the S&P 500 futures also indicated heavy losses at the open for their respective markets.

The moves in premarket trade come as China announced brand-new tariffs on 106 U.S. products, including cars, whiskey, aerospace and defense, and soybeans."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/04/us-s...-in-focus.html

-----

"The Nasdaq sheds all of its gains for 2018, as stock market comes under pressure"

"The Nasdaq Composite Index on Monday gave up all of its gains for 2018, marking a stunning reversal of fortune for the index that has represented risk appetite on Wall Street throughout the market's brisk rally to records. The Nasdaq [c: COMP] closed off 2.7% at 6,870. The Nasdaq joins the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, +1.65% and the S&P 500 index SPX, +1.26% which turned negative for the year in the face of last month's sharp selloff.

The Dow is down 4.8% for the year and the S&P 500 is off 4.2% so far in 2018. The Nasdaq is now down 0.4% thus far this year."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/na...ure-2018-04-02
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-04-2018 at 05:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I fail to see how the shooters motivation changes the conversation any.
    The argument that a person was motivated by the NRA requires knowledge about the shooter's motivation.

Since the shooter ended up being an animal rights activist, anything someone was willing to say about the NRA in terms of culpability for the shooting should now apply to animal rights groups.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Heard it through the grapevine.... I'd assume Mueller is smart and/or experienced enough to play this through the midterms.

------

"Obstruction Report Coming in June or July"

"WaPo reporter says Mueller team is planning on releasing a report on the obstruction part of the investigation in June or July.

Note that technically, Rod Rosenstein appears to have authorized Mueller to write such a report. In theory, he could decide to keep it confidential. In practice, that seems highly unlikely."

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...n-june-or-july

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The argument that a person was motivated by the NRA requires knowledge about the shooter's motivation.

Since the shooter ended up being an animal rights activist, anything someone was willing about the NRA in terms of culpability for the shooting should now apply to animal rights groups.
    The point is that the NRA made veiled threats toward YouTube. Of course, so did this shooter, so maybe you have a point, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Speaking of guys named Scott....

2 Florida Republicans Now Joining Calls For Scott Pruitt To Resign

Reps. Carlos Curbelo and Ileana Ros-Lehtinen say Pruitt should leave the agency amid growing controversy over his spending and ties to lobbyists.

====================

Mueller Reportedly Is Making A List Of All The Stuff Trump Has Done In Office

The special counsel has also told the president’s lawyers that Trump is not a criminal target at this point. Tick-tock, Donnie. Tick-tock.

Shep Smith Fact-Checks Trump’s Latest Amazon Claim: ‘None Of That Was True’

The president has been firing off a series of attacks on the online retailer. Of course it's not true, this is all about Trump's vendetta against Amazon owner Jeff Bezos and nothing else. I can't help but wonder how Smith keeps his job when he contradicts the relentless ass kissing of Orange Foolius by everyone else on Faux News.

British Muslims Were Vigilant And Defiant On ‘Punish A Muslim’ Day

In the U.K. and U.S., people worked to turn a day of fear into a day of solidarity.

Sinclair Journalists Worry They’re Being Watched: ‘There’s A Lot Held Over Us’

The Sinclair Broadcast Group handbook warns employees to have no expectation of privacy in their communications. In a word....disturbing. This sort of nonsense shouldn't happen in America.

Americans Don’t Really Care About Trump’s ‘Great Wall’ ― But His Base Sure Does

The president has been lashing out about his pet project since he failed to get both Mexico and Congress to pay for it. If Cheeto Jesus wants his wall so damn bad, he should fund it himself.
    Shep Smith provides cover for FOX News. He's their token moderate so they can still claim to be "Fair and Balanced," even if they no longer use that as their tagline.

As for Trump's "wall," maybe he could set up a GoFundMe campaign for it. See how many of his supporters are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Barack Obama, John Lewis reflect on MLK legacy

Former President Barack Obama joined civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis to reflect on the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. 50 years after his assassination.

In a six-and-a-half minute video, shot in black and white, Lewis recalled learning that King had been shot while campaigning for Robert Kennedy in Indianapolis.

"The thing I regret more than anything else is I probably didn't spend enough time with him and learning from him. I thought he would be around a long time," he said.

Speeches, marches mark Martin Luther King anniversary

Fifty years after the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated, the civil rights leader's family and admirers were marking the anniversary of his death with marches, speeches and quiet reflection Wednesday.

The commemorations stretch from his hometown of Atlanta to Memphis, where he died, and points beyond. Among the first events is a march led by the same sanitation workers union whose low pay King had come to protest when he was shot. Another event will kick off about the same time in Atlanta, where King's daughter the Rev. Bernice A. King is moderating an awards ceremony in his honor.
    On such a vitally important occasion, you'd think the White House would release a statement about Dr. King. Has that happened yet, or is Trump too busy sitting on the can tweeting about his precious wall?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    On such a vitally important occasion, you'd think the White House would release a statement about Dr. King.
    I wouldn't but it will be a welcome surprise if they do.

On a related note I'm glad to see the markets are relatively stable so far -- despite my personal opinions on Trump, I have no desire to see people suffer as a result of his decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I wouldn't but it will be a welcome surprise if they do.

On a related note I'm glad to see the markets are relatively stable so far -- despite my personal opinions on Trump, I have no desire to see people suffer as a result of his decisions.
    Down 105 right now.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Escalating US-China trade dispute heightens global concerns

https://www.apnews.com/ed379b25f0e84a52b2372a62e922514d

Or, as Amy Siskind puts it:

https://twitter.com/Amy_Siskind/stat...16325158903808

China is smart. They are targeting Trump voters with their tariff pain. This is thought out policy and opposed to a dictate by a party of one who had no vision of how this would play out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Down 105 right now.
    Not good... but it could be worse, though it's probably best just to see how it is at the end of the day/week.

I always keep in mind the last time the Republicans were in power under Bush (i.e. The Iraq War fiasco and the Great Recession) -- if all that happens this time around is that a few investors lose some money, we probably should consider ourselves fortunate in comparison.

Of course, that's being more optimistic than realistic, given Trump's "leadership" and the fact that we're only one year into the presidency.

Anyway, we won't really know how this will turn out until the tariffs actually go into effect for the long term.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-04-2018 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Not good... but it could be worse, though it's probably best just to see how it is at the end of the day/week.

I always keep in mind the last time the Republicans were in power under Bush (i.e. The Iraq War fiasco and the Great Recession) -- if all that happens this time around is that a few investors lose some money, we probably should consider ourselves fortunate in comparison.

Of course, that's being more optimistic than realistic, given Trump's "leadership" and the fact that we're only one year into the presidency.

Anyway, we won't really know how this will turn out until the tariffs actually go into effect for the long term.
    Crazy thing is, the one thing Trump had going for him was riding the coattails of the Obama economy for his first year. Now, his policies are starting to take hold, and he's making stupid decisions like tariffs and attacking major companies like Amazon on Twitter, and the effects are being felt. Six months from now, if the trend of the bubble bursting, bankruptcies being filed, and jobs being lost that we've seen through the first quarter of 2018 continue...

The economy affects elections. And if Trump's stupidity tanks it, the Blue Wave the GOP are already facing is going to be a tsunami.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

At a bar with family and Fox News is airing. Top story is that stock market has recovered because the fears of the trade war has eased! ...ah-huh...

Also, Trump is ordering National Guard to the US border now officially.
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 04-04-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I don't have a problem with this either. If he'd pull every soldier out of the Middle East, that would be great. Why in the hell have we been fighting in Afghanistan for 16 years?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-wan...192253730.html
    I'm glad you stopped pretending being anything but an alt-right Trump supporter.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!