Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

BC has become a joke of a joke somewhere in the last five years. I mean, it wasn't exactly Nightline to begin with, but oof.

I see Hickman has already replied, as I expected he would.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Imagine if you could report plagiarism to anyone who uses the trope of "Person from a post-apocalyptic future travels to the past to avoid it."
    It's interesting you bring that up, because one of the most famous "post apocalyptic time traveler tries to change their past stories," WAS accused of plagiarism, and got money and credit out of it.

Hickman saying he's liked the book publicly before hand could potentially be more damning that one might think. James Cameron said a Harlan Ellison story from Outer Limits called 'Soldier,' inspired 'Terminator,' and he took issue and they settled to avoid dealing with it. He now has a permanent credit on the Terminator property, and received an undisclosed settlement amount, with Ellison saying he received 65-70 grand at different points, and others involved with the case claiming it was much more, at 400 thousand.

Either way, I think there's no way Disney is letting this get to court. There's a huge likelihood they'll settle. They have more than the means, and often do so in these cases because it's just easier.

BANNED

Not muh plot device.

Amazing Member

Hickman showing himself to be a pro. This Claire person not so much. Copyright law is pretty clear. Ideas not protected. What is protected is the expression of the idea. I wonder what she was alluding to in the reference to "language". Does the books set up the lives like "in Harry's first life....." "In Harry's second life..." Jeez

BANNED

I just checked her wiki and...

"Catherine Webb (born 1986) is a British author who is a snob and erroneously thinks that her ideas are so unique that she can unfairly blame actual good books of plagiarism and she is educated at the Godolphin and Latymer School, London, and the London School of Economics. She was 14 years old when she completed Mirror Dreams, which was written during her school holidays."

That didn't take long haha.

BANNED

That's totally unnecessary to do to her wikipedia. That being said, this isn't going to go to court (and I doubt she'll get any money, either).

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    BC has become a joke of a joke somewhere in the last five years. I mean, it wasn't exactly Nightline to begin with, but oof.

I see Hickman has already replied, as I expected he would.

Bleeding cool was always a joke.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    That's totally unnecessary to do to her wikipedia. That being said, this isn't going to go to court (and I doubt she'll get any money, either).
    Sure look, you know what X-Fans are like.

BANNED

That Wikipedia edit is so petty that it’s kind of amusing. But seriously, no need to personally attack her

That said, I doubt anything would come out of this. The actual story around both reincarnations is very different

Now that there’s been sufficient discussion to analyze without saying anything...

Another user asked if there was any precedent in another thread. Aside from what was already said about Terminator and Outer Limits (which I didn’t know about til now), there’s also Shyamalan’s The Village. It was accused of plagiarism too. Ultimately, it didn’t go to court.

Important things to keep in mind. We don’t know if there was an out of court settlement. It didn’t lead to franchise work, and other medium work, and persistence forevermore in a big fictional universe. Shyamalan was already in a downward spiral for perception of him as a creator. And, Shyamalan was simultaneously dealing with a scandal over a fake documentary on Sci-Fi.

Each case is unique. We’ll see what happens here.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Nothing will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dimension. View Post

"Catherine Webb (born 1986) is a British author who is a snob and erroneously thinks that her ideas are so unique that she can unfairly blame actual good books of plagiarism and she is educated at the Godolphin and Latymer School, London, and the London School of Economics. She was 14 years old when she completed Mirror Dreams, which was written during her school holidays."

That is terrible. People are wasting their time on a crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dimension. View Post

Not a nice thing to write, she being wrong or not

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Her reaction was understandable, but she was a liiiiittle out of her depth having not read Replay.

His response was both smart and classy. Well done, Hickman.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Bleeding cool was always a joke.
    More and more since the CompleX, it's become less of a joke than...

BANNED

I haven't checked but she's probably getting abuse on twitter too.
    Last edited by Punch Dimension.; 08-10-2019 at 02:10 PM.