Page 90 of 828 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140190590 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 12411
    'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    So I'm watching the Gifted and I'm trying to wrap my head around how a show in 2018 can have a black man join a Klan/Nazi analog.
    Agent Z put a bullet in this one's face, then double-tapped the corpse, then nuked it from orbit just to be safe, but I'll just say this: The Mutant metaphor is stupid. It has always been stupid. It will always be stupid. It can't be fixed. Good science-fiction and fantasy allows for parallels, but it doesn't make the mistake of directly comparing itself to its object of criticism. Imagine how much worse that episode of classic Trek would have been, if Captain Kirk turned to face the audience and said: "It's just like Jim Crow, you guys."

But Chris Claremont be like, "Naaaaah, Magneto was in the Holocaust. MUTANT METAPHOR!"
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Agent Z put a bullet in this one's face, then double-tapped the corpse, then nuked it from orbit just to be safe, but I'll just say this: The Mutant metaphor is stupid. It has always been stupid. It will always be stupid. It can't be fixed. Good science-fiction and fantasy allows for parallels, but it doesn't make the mistake of directly comparing itself to its object of criticism. Imagine how much worse that episode of classic Trek would have been, if Captain Kirk turned to face the audience and said: "It's just like Jim Crow, you guys."

But Chris Claremont be like, "Naaaaah, Magneto was in the Holocaust. MUTANT METAPHOR!"
    This may be the most flattering thing anyone's ever said about me on the Internet. Thank you.

I have my issues with Grant Morrison but I can agree with him that Magneto really was just a "mad, old terrorist twat".

Ultimate Member

Quoted for truth.

What Morrison tried to do with the franchise made sense. The mutant metaphor doesn't make any sense anymore and relating it to the black experience (via that very idiotic comparison of Xavier and Magneto to MLK and Malcolm X) is just downright insulting.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I really liked Atlantis and the Tron t.v. series. A shame they don't get any follow-up.

Brought to you by the franchise that gave us this loveliness

So, so idiotic.

Claremont wrote an actual racial slur and compared it to a fictional one. This plus the "Storm looks like a woman of all nations" bullshit (which is really rooted in the racist thought process of african women not actually being beautiful) is just part of the reasons I have no desire to see Claremont on the franchise ever again.

Subscription services can be pretty huge. World of warcraft is faaaaaar from its peak, but it still generates a billion dollars a year in revenue.

That said, I seriously don't see myself cancelling my Netflix subscription just for sooper 'eroes. Netflix programming is a bit more sophisticated: Disney hasn't got the balls to put out anything challenging that would interest a modern adult.
    I don't think they ccare if you cancel, they just want you to sign up.

People arent the best with money lol. They will just see it as "only 8 dollars," sign up, and forget about the bill month to month.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If you have a streaming service that YOU control that will not interfere with your network (so you don't turn ABC into the CW network with mainly DC shows airing) and a movie studio.

You can make one huge live action media universe to where your movies can handle the big stuff and your stream the little stuff.

In other words I can give Shuri whatever I want to build her more before Black Panther 2.

I can use that stream to introduce Riri Williams or Rayshun Lucas as normal kids before I make them heroes in the movies.

I can use that stream to test projects before heading to the big screen.

I can also sneak in mutant or FF references in that stream before I introduce those two properties.
    if they were smart, they would have a Wakandan War Dogs show on there.

Basically be a spy flick but with Black People.

Don't even have to pay Chadwick to show up while still profiting off the franchise. Or hell, pay him for one appearance in the first issue to tell them the mission and then he disappears. You wouldn't have to pay any of the big names. So much cheaper.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

According to an analysis of Netflix viewing numbers, Luke Cage lost around 59% of viewers and Iron Fist dropped a staggering 64% when compared to its first run of episodes. While the latter losing viewers probably shouldn't come as a surprise after that disappointing first season, it is shocking that Luke Cage lost so many fans.
    That is a shame. I thought Season 2 was much better and it was one of the few netflix seasons that didn't feel too long. I wasn't bored a single episode.

I'm curious how JJ S2 and DD S3 did number drop wise.

I think part of the problem from Netflix end of it is that, when the deal was first announced, I think the fans and "casuals" thought the TV side the movie side of the MCU would actually be connected instead of the movie side 100% ignoring them. Deflated a lot of the hype around the TV side of Marvel.

I still remember the hype when SLJ showed up in AoS the first time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    It became a lot easier after Kayne West
    He truly was a Pioneer
    Kanye is in a special league all his own.

I really liked Atlantis and the Tron t.v. series. A shame they don't get any follow-up.

This never stops being cringeworthy. Like not even a little. But the intended audience eats it up so whatever. That being said I wonder how this would play out if written today.

Didn't see it as a child but as an adult yeah the metaphor falls apart when you think about it. Like I was telling my little sister the other day one of the biggest differences is we as black people are not inherently dangerous but a good chunk of the more popular mutants are. I also told her that a good chunk of mutants can pass for human but we can't walk into a crowd of white people and blend in. Add in the X-sides treatment of actual minorities the whole thing comes off as tone deaf. Also hasn't Magneto worked with Nazis in the comics?
    Last edited by ZeonsSilverStar; 11-01-2018 at 05:50 AM.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Mutant metaphor actually may work better with White people lol

- vast majority are fine

- certain minority of them that will walk into a church/movie theater/school and kill everyone with super weapons

I kid. I kid.

Metaphor works better for LGB community back in the day when people thought if you touched a gay guy, you would instantly die of AIDS or some shit.

Metaphor doesn't really work at all for any real group these days

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Mutant metaphor actually may work better with White people lol

- vast majority are fine

- certain minority of them that will walk into a church/movie theater/school and kill everyone with super weapons

I kid. I kid.

Metaphor works better for LGB community back in the day when people thought if you touched a gay guy, you would instantly die of AIDS or some shit.

Metaphor doesn't really work at all for any real group these days
    The only mutants that make any sense to me at all are Morlocks.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    This never stops being cringeworthy. Like not even a little. But the intended audience eats it up so whatever. That being said I wonder how this would play out if written today.
    Hopefully, with the writer being drummed out of the industry, never to be heard from again. Of course, Frank Miller still has a career after writing Holy Terror so who knows if this comic being written today would be enough to sink someone’s career.

Didn't see it as a child but as an adult yeah the metaphor falls apart when you think about it. Like I was telling my little sister the other day one of the biggest differences is we as black people are not inherently dangerous but a good chunk of the more popular mutants are.
    One argument that I keep seeing from X-fans is that most mutants are supposed to have harmless mutations and that walking WMDs like Jean, Scott and Ororo are very rare. But to my knowledge this has never been stated within any of the comics at all and any mutant we see is more likely to have a power that can be used in an aggressive manner. Even supposedly safe ones like intangibility and teleportation have been shown to have lethal applications.

I also told her that a good chunk of mutants can pass for human but we can't walk into a crowd of white people and blend in. Add in the X-sides treatment of actual minorities the whole thing comes off as tone deaf. Also hasn't Magneto worked with Nazis in the comics?
    Yeah. He and Doom (who is Romani) were part of a villain team up in Acts of Vengeance. In fairness, Magneto did turn on the Skull and imprisoned him in an underground bunker.

Invincible Member

The metaphor only works in the vaguest way ( for gays, jews, other minorities). When you try to draw too close of a parallel then it falls apart. People keep forgetting ( or don't know) that Stan and Jack didn't create the X-Men to be symbols for anything. The metaphor for marginalized groups is something that got added years later.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The metaphor only works in the vaguest way ( for gays, jews, other minorities). When you try to draw too close of a parallel then it falls apart. People keep forgetting ( or don't know) that Stan and Jack didn't create the X-Men to be symbols for anything. The metaphor for marginalized groups is something that got added years later.
    Speaking of Jack, did he ever have anything to say about Claremont making Magneto Jewish?

Ultimate Member

The funniest thing about that ridiculous mutant metaphor is how some white X-fans insist on explaining to actual minorities what discrimination is.

I've actually given up on the discussion on the X-boards. Being a freckled, thin, pale skinned dork is light years away from having the cops called on you, cops harass you, cops kill you, miss out on jobs because of color, get bullied by some armed maniacs e.t.c

Extraordinary Member