Page 389 of 555 FirstFirst ... 289339379385386387388389390391392393399439489 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,835 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

The visuals weren't great because of all the snow, ash and darkness but I suppose that can be written off to that's pretty much how a war would look in the first place.

But that was intense all the way through.

No spoilers here but I screamed in anger, screamed in joy. Rejoiced with the heroes and honored the fallen. The North will truly remember...always.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    But, at the same time people praise GoT for subverting certain tropes at times, so given that context, the ending of this episode does sort of go with the GoT theme.

True, but it's kind of a double negative. We were expecting a subversion of some sort, a surprise twist, but the ending was a straightforward "clutch kill!" moment, which subverts the shows own style. Which brings us back to old tropes. (shrugs)

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    True, but it's kind of a double negative. We were expecting a subversion of some sort, a surprise twist, but the ending was a straightforward "clutch kill!" moment, which subverts the shows own style. Which brings us back to old tropes. (shrugs)
    But works within the GoT theme that anyone can die at any time, good or bad.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Agreed, I mean I was like wow that's cool and all. But THAT'S IT?!! NK turned out to be a weak villain. Now the show fall back on a mediocre glorified super mid tier (at best) villain. Meh, i think I'm good with just this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    That library scene with Arya though!

Like something out of Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid.

spoilers:
    Killing the Night King was straight out of Assassin's Creed.
    end of spoilers
    The library scene gave me flashbacks to the first Resident Evil

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I hardly think it's fair to say the NK was a weak villain. Dude stood there smiling in the middle of a storm of dragonfire, then raised a whole new army with a wave of his hands. The things that had to happen just as they happened for Arya to have been able to kill him the only way he could have been killed. And I was surprised. I didn't expect him to die that way up until the moment it happened.

This is what happens when a show builds up hype that no human writer or director could possibly live up to.

I can't think of anything I wish they had done differently here.

To be fair a lot of fans may have built up expectations with mysteries that weren't there, but I don't think George would have written something without more thematic importance.
    To be honest, i never have high expectation for the NK, not even in the books and i think that Martin won't do a much better job than here, but i was expecting something a bit more impresive. Still, i enjoyed the episode, just expected something that was a bit better.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    The visuals weren't great because of all the snow, ash and darkness.
    I just think it was bad lighting. I'm sorta kinda legally blind and thought my eyesight was getting worse. Glad to know I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    To be honest, i never have high expectation for the NK, not even in the books and i think that Martin won't do a much better job than here, but i was expecting something a bit more impresive. Still, i enjoyed the episode, just expected something that was a bit better.
    To be honest so did I. I think GRRM was trying too hard to make the WW mysterious that he unintendedly undercooked them. So we're back to an even lesser impressive villain.

Spectacular Member

1.) While I generally LOVE the musical scores for Game Of Thrones...the music at the end of this episode was really...unfitting...almost "Pop-y" in parts with "uplifting" sounding themes. Totally did not fit at all for the for the scenes and imagery. It pulled me right out of the show unfortunately.
    2.) Thought the Night King & Winter would be a greater threat for a this season, and feel a bit let down.
    3.) That "surprise" ending...meh. A character I never really liked and thought was over developed, swoops in out of nowhere, and presto...! It seemed like something you'd see in a Fast and Furious movies instead of Game of Thrones.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The Night King certainly wasn't going to attack at noon on a sunny day. It gave us the same sense of confusion and disorientation that the participants in the battle were experiencing. They did a similar thing with the Battle of the Bastards, even though that one happened in daylight.

Oh... one thing I did find dumb about this episode was the dead in the crypt animating... even though the remains should have been dust after decades and centuries... and punching their way through solid stone to escape their tombs, which is a new wight power we haven't seen before and would have come in mighty handy when attacking the castle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    1.) While I generally LOVE the musical scores for Game Of Thrones...the music at the end of this episode was really...unfitting...almost "Pop-y" in parts with "uplifting" sounding themes. Totally did not fit at all for the for the scenes and imagery. It pulled me right out of the show unfortunately.
    2.) Thought the Night King & Winter would be a greater threat for a this season, and feel a bit let down.
    3.) That "surprise" ending...meh. A character I never really liked and thought was over developed, swoops in out of nowhere, and presto...! It seemed like something you'd see in a Fast and Furious movies instead of Game of Thrones.
    Arya not entertained?

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I hardly think it's fair to say the NK was a weak villain. Dude stood there smiling in the middle of a storm of dragonfire, then raised a whole new army with a wave of his hands. The things that had to happen just as they happened for Arya to have been able to kill him the only way he could have been killed. And I was surprised. I didn't expect him to die that way up until the moment it happened.

This is what happens when a show builds up hype that no human writer or director could possibly live up to.

Not to be mean or anything, but I read GoT fan fiction that had better ideas of the NK than what we got lol. To be fair I'm going to wait and see what George does with the books before I put any blame on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Not to be mean or anything, but I read GoT fan fiction that had better ideas of the NK than what we got lol. To be fair I'm going to wait and see what George does with the books before I put any blame on him.
    I'll totally put the blame on GRRM though. Like it was said earlier D&D probably had good instincts when cutting a lot of things. Yeah they still deserve criticism for fucking Dorne up, and probably for the underwhelming Greyjoy plot too. But I think a lot of the stuff they cut was shit that wasn't going anywhere in the books (like Rickon Stark).

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Really?

How about Jon pinning down the Night King and pleading Daenerys to burn them both, so that she burns her love like the prophecy of Azor Ahai?

What about Bran warging into either a living or dead dragon that bites the Night King, perhaps permanently leaving his human body in sacrifice?

How about Jon being turned into a White Walker and forcing a mass retreat by the rest, only to find that like Benjen he's still in control and on the side of good? Or if the Starks in the Crypt bow to Jon or Sansa and consume the Night King in undead betrayal?

How about Bran warging into the Knight King and taking them both back in time somehow to reveal a more human motive?

What about Melisandre setting herself and the rest of the white walkers on fire, perhaps after surprise-sacrificing a beloved character with King's Blood?

What about Daenerys taking up Heartsbane from Jorah and hesitating before killing Vision herself, which metaphorically gives her lightbringer and it leads to the death of the Night King?

Not everyone would like all of those, but I think we could all come up with more interesting things.
    Last edited by Lightning Rider; 04-28-2019 at 10:37 PM.