Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default So.... Jesus Is Getting His Own DC Comic

DC Comics is introducing its newest superhero, Jesus Christ, adapted from the most popular book in history and with its own twist.

The new series, titled “Second Coming,” is set to debut in March. The series, written by Mark Russell and illustrated by Richard Pace, has already been labeled by some Christians as "blasphemous."

According to Comic Book Resources, Russell mixed in his own idea of Christianity in the animated work by claiming that Jesus needed to return to earth to learn how to become the “true messiah” from a Superman-like character called Sun-man.
    In a past interview with Bleeding Cool, Russell explained that the series centers on the fact that God “was so upset with Jesus’ performance the first time he came to earth since he was arrested so soon and crucified shortly after, that he has kept him locked up since then.”

When the fictional version of God sees Sun-Man, he tells the comic Jesus, “That’s what I wanted for you.”

“He sends Jesus down to learn from this superhero and they end up learning from each other,” Russell added. “They learn the limitations of each other’s approach to the world and its problems.”
    https://www.christianpost.com/news/d...he-savior.html

I think it's hilarious. Christianity is ultimately just another form of mythology, albeit one that's widely bought into in modern society. If Thor and Hercules can run around in comics, so can Jesus. And there are few things funnier to me than somebody taking the piss out of something that so many people take so seriously.

Well, I guess there's worse possibilities.
    We coulda got 'Andrew Dice Clay's Nativity Story'.

DC has been firing on all cylindars lately to find ways into the mainstream news by being excessively provocative.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

In a past interview with Bleeding Cool, Russell explained that the series centers on the fact that God “was so upset with Jesus’ performance the first time he came to earth since he was arrested so soon and crucified shortly after, that he has kept him locked up since then.”

Do writers like this ever read The Bible? Jesus getting crucified is the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

Do writers like this ever read The Bible? Jesus getting crucified is the plan.
    It's called creative license.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    It's called creative license.
    There are creative and funny Jesus depictions that don't misunderstand the fundamentals. The manga Saint Young Men for example, where Jesus and Buddha are depicted as roommates in Japan, acting like a comedic duo commentating on modern life on earth, where they reference real life politic, current social climate and their mythology. It's a funny book where the author clearly know what they're talking about.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.

There are creative and funny Jesus depictions that don't misunderstand the fundamentals. The manga Saint Young Men for example, where Jesus and Buddha are depicted as roommates in Japan, acting like a comedic duo commentating on modern life on earth, where they reference real life politic, current social climate and their mythology. It's a funny book where the author clearly know what they're talking about.
    But it's a comic using elements from a different source to tell it's own story, it's not perpetuating the dogma. It's akin to all the superhero movies out right now...elements are drawn from the comics to help tell the stories, but the stories in the films aren't exactly the same as what was published in the comics. Changes were made to suit the story they wanted to tell.

Astonishing Member

I totally agree with you

As I understand it the solicit says God sends Jesus back to learn about being a true Messiah

I appreciate people's views on any faith are entirely their perogative

But I find the very idea of this as presented in the solicit to be entirely offensive to me

I am fine that others will see it differently

But it's a comic using elements from a different source to tell it's own story, it's not perpetuating the dogma. It's akin to all the superhero movies out right now...elements are drawn from the comics to help tell the stories, but the stories in the films aren't exactly the same as what was published in the comics. Changes were made to suit the story they wanted to tell.
    So just like superhero comic adaptations, some people are gonna be annoyed if it's not accurate to the source material
    ...or at least question the decision

Astonishing Member

True enough and fair enough

But when you do that with any active faith structure your going to upset some people

It's clearly not something that concerns them

So just like superhero comic adaptations, some people are gonna be annoyed if it's not accurate to the source material
    ...or at least question the decision
    And that's perfectly all right, provided it's done with civility (which our back-and-forth here has been, I believe) and doesn't lapse into some kind of toxic fandom nonsense...which religion already has plenty of (not everyone, of course).

Well, it's white Jesus, not real Jesus, so do what you want.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I think it's hilarious. Christianity is ultimately just another form of mythology, albeit one that's widely bought into in modern society. If Thor and Hercules can run around in comics, so can Jesus. And there are few things funnier to me than somebody taking the piss out of something that so many people take so seriously.
    Actually there have been more than a few things that highlight Christianity is not mythology. As has been said before...each is entitled to their own opinion about the premise of this comic (and why it was felt to be needed)...but by virtue of what Christ did that puts Him on a far different level than Thor or Hercules. Buuuuuttttt it's comics and we won't truly know where the book is going until the first issue comes out. I'm sure business will pick up here when that happens

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Well, it's white Jesus, not real Jesus, so do what you want.
    LOL!!! TRUTH!!!!!! Although Megyn Kelly and a few others might disagree lol

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I totally agree with you

As I understand it the solicit says God sends Jesus back to learn about being a true Messiah

I appreciate people's views on any faith are entirely their perogative

But I find the very idea of this as presented in the solicit to be entirely offensive to me

I am fine that others will see it differently
    Mark Russell is the foremost satirist in the industry. Nothing about this is serious. Jesus and Superman are roommates.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.