Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm surprised how much mileage Marvel Adventures Spider-Man was able to get out of only being able to Aunt May, Jonah, Liz, and Flash as supporting characters.
    They even introduced a surprisingly well-received non-Mary Jane love interest that also connected Spider-Man with the X-Men, insofar as Sophia "Chat" Sanduval was a mutant who could communicate with animals and was friends with (a younger) Emma Frost, who somewhat surprisingly (based on her surface persona) fell in love with Spider-Man as well. Fun times.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    The Marvel Universe hates Spider-Man and the staff, this is nothing new.
    He's not the only one who died there, that was just "a bunch of characters die to pretend the event has stakes".

Thats obviously bullshit, well until Civil War event. Then your probably right.
    I mean, he mentioned that they're willing to kill if they have to, Spidey is a lil' bitch who hates killing to the point he tries to save a complete monster like Carnage, and Maximum Carnage is far from being an isolated case, and if a requirement to use Mjolnir is a willingness to kill, then Spidey generally isn't worthy.

I'm surprised how much mileage Marvel Adventures Spider-Man was able to get out of only being able to Aunt May, Jonah, Liz, and Flash as supporting characters.
    What, they couldn't use anyone else?

George was also a decent addition on the last issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    They even introduced a surprisingly well-received non-Mary Jane love interest that also connected Spider-Man with the X-Men, insofar as Sophia "Chat" Sanduval was a mutant who could communicate with animals and was friends with (a younger) Emma Frost, who somewhat surprisingly (based on her surface persona) fell in love with Spider-Man as well. Fun times.
    Chat wasn't really connected with X-Men, she was just a mutant, the one time the X-Men showed up to get her on the team, she refused.

If anything, her connection with Emma is her biggest connection with X-Men, but Emma was unrelated to them, she never even interacted with the X-Men, which technically made Emma into a Spider-Man character in that setting.

But yeah, Chat was fun, had decent enough chemistry with Spidey, I do find her to be too overpowered at times though...

Same guy who wrote her also wrote Anya's Spider-Girl ongoing, which explains why Chat shows up as a supporting character, and why Anya shows up once as a cameo in Spidey's MA comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I don't think someone's own self doubts really counts for this, from what I could gather, the way someone gets judged is what they do with their life, and how they go about it, and how much they're doing.
    Self doubt definitely plays a role. There's a reason Doom is able to pass himself with the Celestial concurring and Cap is judged with a thumbs down despite it being clear to us readers who the better man actually is. Peter's own sense of guilt will probably play a huge role in determinig what happens to him. How true someone is to their own beliefs, and their own capacity to doubt themselves, seem to be major parts of it.

Folks, it's important that we don't make the mistake of seeing it as the author's view or God itself on the characters. That'd be silly.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 09-25-2022 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Self doubt definitely plays a role. There's a reason Doom is able to pass himself with the Celestial concurring and Cap is judged with a thumbs down despite it being clear who the better man actually is. Peter's own sense of guilt will probably play a huge role in determinig what happens to him.
    Doom passing is really weird if you take into account Hickman's Secret Wars where he did admit Reed is the smarter one between both.

Between that and him being in general a piece of shit, yeah, just weird he passed...

Folks, it's important that we don't make the mistake of seeing it as the author's view or God itself on the characters. That'd be silly.
    I don't think anyone here implied that lol.

Doom passing is really weird if you take into account Hickman's Secret Wars where he did admit Reed is the smarter one between both.

Between that and him being in general a piece of shit, yeah, just weird he passed...
    It's not that weird. The Celestial isn't judging people on the basis of whether they are 'good' or 'bad'. Doom passing while Cap fails is a huge clue as to what it's looking for in people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It's not that weird. The Celestial isn't judging people on the basis of whether they are 'good' or 'bad'. Doom passing while Cap fails is a huge clue as to what it's looking for in people.
    I mean being good does seem to be something that gets you extra points at the very least, Shawn in Immortal X-Men#6 didn't pass despite the story showing him being very consistent as a person and proud of basically everything he did (Something not even Doom is), and he failed the test because he continued being a piece of shit instead of refusing to make more anti-mutant weapons, and in AXE#4, the Celestial essentially whined about people not doing as much as they can now, and there was emphasis on people not doing much good now.

It can't even be said to be an inconsistency between writers, 'cause both are written by the same guy.

I do think about how people look at themselves is a huge factor in how the Celestial judges people, but it seems there's more to it than that.

So yeah, maybe you don't necessarily have to be good, but being actively bad makes you fail, and Doom at times is actively bad, which can make you fail the judgment, and a hypocrite, which has made at least Destiny fail.

He's not the only one who died there, that was just "a bunch of characters die to pretend the event has stakes".

I mean, he mentioned that they're willing to kill if they have to, Spidey is a lil' bitch who hates killing to the point he tries to save a complete monster like Carnage, and Maximum Carnage is far from being an isolated case, and if a requirement to use Mjolnir is a willingness to kill, then Spidey generally isn't worthy.

Chat wasn't really connected with X-Men, she was just a mutant, the one time the X-Men showed up to get her on the team, she refused.

If anything, her connection with Emma is her biggest connection with X-Men, but Emma was unrelated to them, she never even interacted with the X-Men, which technically made Emma into a Spider-Man character in that setting.

But yeah, Chat was fun, had decent enough chemistry with Spidey, I do find her to be too overpowered at times though...

Same guy who wrote her also wrote Anya's Spider-Girl ongoing, which explains why Chat shows up as a supporting character, and why Anya shows up once as a cameo in Spidey's MA comic.
    Fair enough on the issue of "not every mutant in Marvel needs to be an X-Men character by default."

I don't think it's so much that they couldn't use anyone else so much as that they picked a stable cast for the series' standalone one-and-done adventures.

I don't think it's so much that they couldn't use anyone else so much as that they picked a stable cast for the series' standalone one-and-done adventures.
    Well, yeah, a small cast is only a problem if it's not used well, a three dimensional character can get more usage than 50 interchangeable one note characters.

Well, yeah, a small cast is only a problem if it's not used well, a three dimensional character can get more usage than 50 interchangeable one note characters.
    Well, it was a fun series, even if everything aside from a few arcs was one-and-done .

(I'm talking the original version, not when Paul Tobin actually introduced plot )

BANNED

Good 'ol Gobby .

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Holy . . . this is gonna be good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    nice cameo by the F4. now off you go Spider man got to give Goblin a good beating
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy