With the new smash bros game announced, I wrote a new revised article about characters I want to see in it. I included two black characters to add some diversity.

http://enthusiast.gg/14729/seven-nin...ros-for-switch

Posted it around the net and got some feedback...some liked it and some only focused on my mentioning the black characters and asking for diversity....and not in a nice way

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Why does Night Watch look like a Korean manufactured version of Spawn that you might find in a flea market alongside some Car formers, and Special Joes super marine forces?
    It was the 90s, which meant trying to make your stuff look as much like an Image product as possible was the new trend.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Okay. So. Having now finished it, I think Altered Carbon is my favorite television show of all time, but I'm not even going to pretend that it's good. Just gonna file it mentally under your favorites are problematic.

Ha ha ha, this show is so insane. I need more White boy samurai cyberpunk in my life. The only way it could be better is if Steven Segal is the villain next season.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Iceman being gay is an old internet meme that Bendis used to try to get over with X-fans. His entire run was pandering fan service for X-tremists. Beast is the bad guy for complaining about the team descending into moral relativism, Iceman is gay, Cyclops was right, the Avengers are assholes, hell, he even threw Rick Remender under the bus during Alex-Gate. Remember Kitty's tone deaf speech about people using unforgivable words, when old Claremont used to write her as being pretty quick to drop that n(*****)eutron bomb whenever she wanted to get her liberal white feminist outrage on?

Seriously, Bendis' entire X-run was basically him reading threads on the x-forums and trying to stay on the mob's good side.
    Tbf, that scene with Alex did kind of deserve to be called out. Perhaps by someone other than Kitty.

Though given the reaction to Bobby being gay, I don't know how Bendis thought his story would get him on the x-fans' good side.

The article on Jessica Jones and race last page reminded me of this article about women of color as "fantastic racists" that was also from TMS. I even thought they were done by the same author (they aren't).

https://www.themarysue.com/space-rac...ds-to-go-away/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    I saved that quote and use it whenever I need it. It deserves to be remembered alongside "With great power there must also come - great responsibility!"

"Beware the fanatic! Too often his cure is deadlier by far than the evil he denounces!"

-Stan Lee, in X-Men #16, Jan 1966
    That was a powerful message from Stan.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Plus the character is Blade pre-Snipes level obscure, so no one will care about those changes. It's kind of funny to see Spike make a superhero movie though, as I recall him expressing his disinterest in doing so many moons ago. But hey times and people change. The fact that he hasn't made a movie people want to see since Inside Man is a factor too, I'd guess.
    I do recall Spike saying no to superhero films, too.

Although it is hilarious when you think the number of black thespians featured in his films went on to play roles in various superhero films.

Wesley Snipes

Halle Berry

Samuel L. Jackson

Laurence Fishburne

Bill Nunn

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Tbf, that scene with Alex did kind of deserve to be called out. Perhaps by someone other than Kitty.

Though given the reaction to Bobby being gay, I don't know how Bendis thought his story would get him on the x-fans' good side.
    Alex's speech was total flaming garbage and Kitty's rebuttal to his speech made a very good point, it was just the wrong character to be making that point.

And as a gay X-Men fan I can assure you that the idea of Bendis having Bobby come out as gay to appease a majority of X-Men fans is laughable. The way most X-Men fans reacted to Iceman being gay was basically the last straw for me, it's why I've pretty much disengaged from a franchise that used to be my favourite.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Yea I didn't grow up feeling the (late 80's) X-Men were any type of metaphor.

I disagree with the idea that it didn't make sense in the Marvel Universe (616 specifically) cause A LOT supposedly does 'makes sense'. I mean what are we even saying, Secret Wars II starring The Beyonder did 'make sense'? When they put out the house ad for the mutant registration story line from like, I don't know I think I was in 6th grade, '87. It hit because maybe Morlocks didn't go to public school but there wasn't room for every mutant in America to stay over at Xavier's until they fuckin' grew up. Jean Gray was in the 6th grade once, as well as a whole host of over lower level mutants who didn't all have abilities you could see with the naked eye. Pre-teens and teenagers are immature, accidents happen. Accidents with telekinesis or a guy with retractable quills, happen.

Sure you could play the percentages but that was the heavy part of that story line. Spider-Man and Venom can destroy a library downtown in a fight but some shy kid who looks 'normal' in 7 grade is doing things to classmates would be more than a cause for concern.
    Stan and Jack lived thru HUAC (House Un-American Activities Committee) during the 50's.

Even if they didn't get hauled before the Committee like Bill Gaines (Publisher of Mad) did, they all were in the same gig. If they had put out Horror books back then it WOULD HAVE BEEN THEM( as the committee was a political Witch Hunt in the most literal sense).

If the classic X-Men are a metaphor for anything, there's no way the Classic X-Men aren't a metaphor for the '50's Red Scare.

Up to and including the part where the misunderstood good guys help out society by going after the REAL bad guys (which makes me wonder what Stan and Jack would have done IF THEY HAD gotten hauled before the commission...sang like birds most likely-they were WW2 Vets that hated the Reds, if the comics they put out anything to go by).

Anything else was all Clairmont's idea and to be honest his Xavier and Magneto read way more like Ben Gurion and Begin expys to me than MLK and Malcolm-X.

To the point where Xavier's and Magneto's big falling out happens in Israel, with Mags running off yelling "Never Again" with a bunch of Nazi gold.

Subtle Clairmont ain't.

CC only ever made the race metaphor overt for X Men:God Loves Man Kills, but that is all anybody remembers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Stan and Jack lived thru HUAC (House Un-American Activities Committee) during the 50's.

Even if they didn't get hauled before the Committee like Bill Gaines (Publisher of Mad) did, they all were in the same gig. If they had put out Horror books back then it WOULD HAVE BEEN THEM( as the committee was a political Witch Hunt in the most literal sense).

If the classic X-Men are a metaphor for anything, there's no way the Classic X-Men aren't a metaphor for the '50's Red Scare.
    I am really trying but I'm honestly not seeing the red scare metaphor. What would be actual Soviet brand communism in this metaphor?

Stan and Jack also lived through the Second World War, and I can totally see the X-Men being a metaphor for various kinds of bigotry.

Which granted, not a lot was done with until Claremont got going.

There was a really good piece a few years back on the subject about why Marvel's attempts to push the Inhumans as a minority metaphor was whack as hell. I think that's why Ms. Marvel was one of the few to actually catch on; she faces legit, real world bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Alex's speech was total flaming garbage and Kitty's rebuttal to his speech made a very good point, it was just the wrong character to be making that point.
    Yeah I don't know who thought "Well people would stop being racist towards you if you stopped taking pride in your identity!" was a statement that was ever going to go over well.
    Last edited by Holt; 03-14-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Yeah I don't know who thought "Well people would stop being racist towards you if you stopped taking pride in your identity!" was a statement that was ever going to go over well.
    Straight white guys, that's who.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post

And as a gay X-Men fan I can assure you that the idea of Bendis having Bobby come out as gay to appease a majority of X-Men fans is laughable. The way most X-Men fans reacted to Iceman being gay was basically the last straw for me, it's why I've pretty much disengaged from a franchise that used to be my favourite.
    Alex's speech didn't even make sense in the fictional universe he lived in, if you don't want to be identified as a mutant why agree to be on the mutant/human unity team?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Alex's speech didn't even make sense in the fictional universe he lived in, if you don't want to be identified as a mutant why agree to be on the mutant/human unity team?
    I was fine with Havok saying that, but I'm a Silver Age era fan, so the idea of a 60's era character like him going "What identity? I'm not that @#$%ing nut Magneto." made me smile.

The same dudes yelling about Mutant ID now are mostly the exact same dudes who were trying to kill him, kidnap him or brainwash him back in the day.

The comics only rarely touch on that(Joe Kelly did have Madrox say something like that but it got retconned).