Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The best thing Peter can do is cast doubt that he's Spider-Man. Much like how Matt Murdock always played it whenever he gets outed as Daredevil.
    I mean, there'll probably be three Spider-Men at the climax...
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Peter will never be balanced because Marvel doesn't seem to want that. It just seems to want to repeat the same story beats. Peter revealing his identity is actually something new and interesting
    It doesn't seem that interesting to me. It just makes him the same as 98% of the heroes in the MCU at this point. He's barely even gotten to be Spider-Man in the MCU.

Incredible Member

betty grant intern at the daily bugle. it ain't the same without her co-host.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, there'll probably be three Spider-Men at the climax...

It doesn't seem that interesting to me. It just makes him the same as 98% of the heroes in the MCU at this point. He's barely even gotten to be Spider-Man in the MCU.
    At the same time, we have 5 Spider-Man movies with him juggling a secret identity. Judging by how much Feige apparently likes the JMS run, I'm not that surprised that him being unmasked is something they want to play with in the MCU since it's completely different from previous Spidey films

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    At the same time, we have 5 Spider-Man movies with him juggling a secret identity. Judging by how much Feige apparently likes the JMS run, I'm not that surprised that him being unmasked is something they want to play with in the MCU since it's completely different from previous Spidey films
    Feige drawing from the Avengers Tower stuff from the JMS run explains a lot, although I feel like they've also missed the forest for the trees when it comes to that run especially when you see how they handled that Aunt May moment.

But I think it's just a gimmick for this movie to force the plot of the spell Strange weaves to bring the Multiverse into it and give Peter a character arc.

The whole secret identity thing has been done to death (in regards to Spider-Man) in my opinion. Feige has made it clear he disdains the trope, and I hope Peter maintains his public identity going forward.

The spell Strange weaves seemed very OMD to me, and thus very much a JMS thing.

I'm genuinely interested now to see if they are going to attempt the Other and Morlun in the next trilogy.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    The whole secret identity thing has been done to death (in regards to Spider-Man) in my opinion. Feige has made it clear he disdains the trope, and I hope Peter maintains his public identity going forward.
    But then he wouldn't really be Spider-Man in my opinion, unless he plans to be Spidey 100% of the time moving forward like the other Avengers.

But then he wouldn't really be Spider-Man in my opinion, unless he plans to be Spidey 100% of the time moving forward like the other Avengers.
    I wouldn't mind that. I appreciate the fact that the MCU is trying to differentiate itself from other superhero franchises. I just find it annoying to watch these heroes make up bullshit reasons for leaving when things happen and threatening to quit their "profession" because they let their loved ones down because of their superhero activities (which they keep secret from said loved ones). And you know they won't quit their superhero jobs for long. I feel like if Holland's Parker regains his secret identity, he'll probably end up revealing it again sometime later down the line. I also happen to hold the same opinion about Daredevil, Batman and Superman as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I wouldn't mind that. I appreciate the fact that the MCU is trying to differentiate itself from other superhero franchises. I just find it annoying to watch these heroes make up bullshit reasons for leaving when things happen and threatening to quit their "profession" because they let their loved ones down because of their superhero activities (which they keep secret from said loved ones). And you know they won't quit their superhero jobs for long. I feel like if Holland's Parker regains his secret identity, he'll probably end up revealing it again sometime later down the line. I also happen to hold the same opinion about Daredevil, Batman and Superman as well.
    Personally I prefer a hero actually trying to juggle a double life and have more of a downtime and life outside being a Superhero, but that's just me. I don't think Spider-Man is a character that lends well to a public identity unless you want to divorce him from having a life as Peter Parker.

But I've also been very critical of the MCU and their handling of Spider-Man and his mythos, so it's not anything new .

Presumably he would get the secret identity back so he can go to college .

Anybody think there might be a Tomei May/Ock scene? At least judging by the way the comics are marketing "Beyond"...

Although Raimiverse Ock and May of course didn't get along ("Butterfingers" "Shame on you")....but it'd be a fun nod to the comics. Especially if maybe Ock doesn't turn out to be that bad a guy.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-02-2021 at 02:15 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Anybody think there might be a Tomei May/Ock scene? At least judging by the way the comics are marketing "Beyond"...

Although Raimiverse Ock and May of course didn't get along ("Butterfingers" "Shame on you")....but it'd be a fun nod to the comics. Especially if maybe Ock doesn't turn out to be that bad a guy.
    It would be cool to see May convince him to help Peter, or she reminds Ock of Rosie.

I'd also like to see Norman acknowledge Tomei's Aunt May being young. Something like how in the Spider-Verse episode of Ultimate Spider-Man where Goblin made a comment about May being a lovely woman and wanting to pay her a visit.

Personally I prefer a hero actually trying to juggle a double life and have more of a downtime and life outside being a Superhero, but that's just me. I don't think Spider-Man is a character that lends well to a public identity unless you want to divorce him from having a life as Peter Parker.

But I've also been very critical of the MCU and their handling of Spider-Man and his mythos, so it's not anything new .

Presumably he would get the secret identity back so he can go to college .
    Yeah, I can definitely understand that perspective. Comic books have used the secret identity trope for so long, so plenty of fans love it. I used to myself before Iron Man. I do get why Spidey fans hate the MCU version. I think the things fans love about Spider-Man WOULD have been adopted by the MCU had they had full control of the character right from the get-go. But the more reboots you do of characters, the less interested people are in seeing their origin stories again. At least that's the case for me. I mean, I don't mind it if Ghost Rider, Silver Surfer and the Fantastic Four get full reboots because previous live-action versions of their characters fucking SUCKED. But the Sony Spider-Man films were relatively popular. Same thing with some of the Fox X-Men movies. I think if Peter is still publicly known as Spider-Man during his college years, the college he attends should create a Peter Parker School of Intergalactic Affairs in his honor!

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    It would be cool to see May convince him to help Peter, or she reminds Ock of Rosie.

I'd also like to see Norman acknowledge Tomei's Aunt May being young. Something like how in the Spider-Verse episode of Ultimate Spider-Man where Goblin made a comment about May being a lovely woman and wanting to pay her a visit.
    Now I'm just expecting Gobby to be making fun of all the trappings of MCU Spider-Man "who the @$%& is Happy Hogan?" .

Ultimate Member

Now I'm just expecting Gobby to be making fun of all the trappings of MCU Spider-Man "who the @$%& is Happy Hogan?" .
    We need more Dafoe Goblin-isms in general. They're the best part of SM1

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    We need more Dafoe Goblin-isms in general. They're the best part of SM1
    Hopefully they make good use of him while they have him...