Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

He's right. Movies (hell, any art) being reduced to "content" is bad. As these big conglomerates ran by folks who don't give a jot about the art they produce have more and more say this problem will just escalate. Sure, art v. commerce has always been an issue, but at least in the past the jerks at the top probably had some interest in movies instead of, say, the head of a phone or internet company that finds they now own a film studio via a merger.

Personal recommendations and curating from experts is just the best because you end up seeing things you never would've on your own. Go outside your comfort zone! Bollywood musicals, silent comedies, East Asian crime films - these might be your favorite things but you'll never know if you never go out and find them!

He's also getting on studios to preserve and make there films available, which is something I can't imagine any movie fan disagreeing with. Availability is a huge thing. I'm fortunate enough to have a public library that always prioritized classics and foreign films. I was introduced to so much this way.

(Serious part over - now somewhat tongue-in-cheek segment)

Also, folks get salty that Marty doesn't like superhero films. I can explain this: you're either born a hero kid or a monster kid. No one likes them both the same. Scorsese, who frequently opines about Honda's Godzilla movies and Hammer Horror films is obviously a born-and-bred monster kid like myself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    People just can't handle criticism anymore, especially of the thing they like. In the old days, George Lucas made Star Wars but he also loved Spaceballs and Mel Brooks and provided his own company to help with VFX and boosted support for stuff like Hardware Wars. The Beatles loved the Rutles.

You can like something and accept criticism of that same thing. I like Westerns but if someone says they can't get into westerns because of the political and historical baggage of the Western, I would say that there's some Westerns that qualify as exceptions to that, at the same time I would also consider those to be valid reasons if only because I wouldn't want that kind of western to return and be popular and dominant again.

I like Superman the DC character but I also love Harvey Kurtzman's ruthless parody SUPERDUPERMAN and think that's a fairly accurate takedown of the least appealing aspects of the character and concept. As far as the MCU goes, I don't think any of them are outright bad as entertainment products. None of them are great and yet it's true that the MCU and its dominance does represent a significant challenge and threat to the elements that defined movie-making and production for decades.

For someone like Scorsese, it's a problem that none of these MCU stuff can even be considered to be "directed" anymore.

The MCU movies have major action and character moments pre-visualized years in advance by Second Unit teams before the directors are even signed and come to set. This kind of stuff is traditionally done by the director...Scorsese himself storyboards every shot and moment of all his films in advance, and does all the pre-production stuff himself. That's why the MCU is standardized to such an extent. It's very much made by committee, you might like that committee but if you are a director with a personal style and vision and the industry is dominated on a series of films that are committee-made and committee-designed, then it's hard to not see that as a threat to your profession especially if the rest of the industry feel they need to be like the MCU.
    I think most of us already knew this. I even said MCU mass manufacturing problem style of making movies is a problem, infact I have said this was an important edge the non mcu marvel movies had over MCU that they were far less manufactured by a committee instead executed or directed by personal film makers, reason I never wanted Spiderman or X-men to be part of the MCU. No one is denying some things that are just obvious.

However I just think Scorsese movies are quite overrated when you match it up against some of the best films of the 50s and 60s and it has nothing to do with MCU. Cape Fear was the game changer for me.

I think it is cute that scorsese does feel like a god when he is competing with MCU movies and his movies look like masterpieces but try and put some of scorsese's films against Billy Wilder or John Ford movies. Scorsese is limited as a director.
    Last edited by Castle; 02-20-2021 at 11:11 AM.

And James Bond had a cinematic style no matter the director for decades. Big wup. It's like there are no movies from singular directors anymore, except their are. The MCU is a big studio production, but there is still Parasite or Inception or A Marriage Story. I looked at the top movies of 2019, most are big studio blockbuster types, but there is still Knives Out and Ford vs Ferrari and John Wick and Us. And lower down the list, there is still many Indies. And you know what, thanks to streaming, they no longer have to be searched out in small Art Houses. They get a wider audience thanks to the thing Scorsese criticizes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post

Also, folks get salty that Marty doesn't like superhero films. I can explain this: you're either born a hero kid or a monster kid. No one likes them both the same. Scorsese, who frequently opines about Honda's Godzilla movies and Hammer Horror films is obviously a born-and-bred monster kid like myself.

No I don't see movie fans agreeing with it, however what this does will expose who are the most talented film makers that can adapt their movies to any format.
    Alfonso Cuarón is a guy I can take as the best director of this generation. why? because he can make a big hit box office movie like Gravity and win lots of Oscars but make a small netflix movie like Roma and still win lots of Oscars.

Streaming will cut a large chunk out of theatre movies but not big enough for it to kill going to cinema forever. I think Scorsese should have expanded his body of work more than the usual gangsta films and made more films like Hugo.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    And James Bond had a cinematic style no matter the director for decades. Big wup. It's like there are no movies from singular directors anymore, except their are. The MCU is a big studio production, but there is still Parasite or Inception or A Marriage Story. I looked at the top movies of 2019, most are big studio blockbuster types, but there is still Knives Out and Ford vs Ferrari and John Wick and Us. And lower down the list, there is still many Indies. And you know what, thanks to streaming, they no longer have to be searched out in small Art Houses. They get a wider audience thanks to the thing Scorsese criticizes.

Exactly. There is more good stuff out there on different platforms than ever. Scorsese was a great director, and his era had many. But there was also a ton of garbage being made at that time. Many of those movies wouldn't even get made today. There is so much good drama being put out now on streaming services its mind-blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    No I don't see movie fans agreeing with it, however what this does will expose who are the most talented film makers that can adapt their movies to any format.
    Alfonso Cuarón is a guy I can take as the best director of this generation. why? because he can make a big hit box office movie like Gravity and win lots of Oscars but make a small netflix movie like Roma and still win lots of Oscars.

Streaming will cut a large chunk out of theatre movies but not big enough for it to kill going to cinema forever. I think Scorsese should have expanded his body of work more than the usual gangsta films and made more films like Hugo.
    Less than half of the movies he's made are gangster films (and that's if you expand the term to include all crime or shady business). Don't know where this idea comes from.

Mighty Member

Interesting how some people went right to "oh people don't like this, it must be all about the MCU". But it's the MCU side that's somehow the obsessed party.

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Interesting how some people went right to "oh people don't like this, it must be all about the MCU". But it's the MCU side that's somehow the obsessed party.
    It came from Scorsese's first rant that explicated cited the MCU as the problem in Hollywood.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It came from Scorsese's first rant that explicated cited the MCU as the problem in Hollywood.
    I know where it came from, I just don't get why people who don't like the MCU or who do like Martin went right to "the reason people disagree with him here is because of that". This is plenty disagreeable taken alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    I know where it came from, I just don't get why people who don't like the MCU or who do like Martin went right to "the reason people disagree with him here is because of that". This is plenty disagreeable taken alone.
    oh, sure. There is plenty of other reasons.

Extraordinary Member

You'd think after having the career he's had he'd be thankful especially after the Irish Man. But nope still not enough...

I love how movie fans are now, apparently, separated into two categories: MCU fans and MCU non-fans.

These comments seem pretty tame, and not at all lacking class. Its a criticism, yes, but I'm failing to see what's awful about it, whether one agrees or disagrees with his take.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Less than half of the movies he's made are gangster films (and that's if you expand the term to include all crime or shady business). Don't know where this idea comes from.
    He sure has perfected the genre to an extent.

Raises hand.
    I love both. It'd be hard to say which is larger, my collection of monster movies or superhero movies...nevermind stuff like Ultraman and Swamp Thing which is kind of both.