Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Supergirl hates Superman?

I have read that in a comic Supergirl says that she understands that people hate Superman, even she hates him a little. Could someone explain to me what this is all about.
    Thank you.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Was this during the New 52? It sounds very New 52.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Was this during the New 52? It sounds very New 52.
    no, I think it's something from his new comic.

From the last comic, yes, it seem she haes him and need to bitch on him.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Isn't it Jon, not Clark, whom Kara now dislikes? ("Hates" is maybe a bit too strong.)

I kinda got the feeling that it was basically a way of saying "yeah he annoys me too".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    no, I think it's something from his new comic.
    Are you talking about Tom King's Supergirl comic? Whenever you read something by King, you've got to prepare yourself for the story and characters being warped into metaphors for various traumas.

I haven't read the comic but knowing how King writes, the plot is probably about Kara dealing with the trauma of alienation and feeling embittered towards Clark be because he's not alienated and cannot comprehend her deep psychological pain or something similar.

No, i don't think it was implying that she literally hates superman. As said above it was more he can be annoying but sometimes there is that one quirk about someone that you hate. Like someone too kind or too mean or too whatever and when it is displayed too much given whatever mindset or fight for your life in it's not hard to believe you can think hate but not hate. It was kind of metaphorical in a lot of ways.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

She's mad because Superman won't marry her because of earth laws:

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    She's mad because Superman won't marry her because of earth laws:

Yes, if it wasn't for laws against incest, Superman would be all over this 16 years old. Nothing creepy there. And it's not like that last panel makes it look like she is even younger than 16 and totally freaked out by his actions.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

He gets used as a stand-in for patriarchal figures in her life and as such is something to topple to prove she's just as good as he is... Except when you keep needing to do it over and over again with the same character, it feels less like "okay, she's as good or better" and more like you know it's unconvincing and really want me to think it is the twenty fifth repetition in. Aside from that, he doesn't remember Krypton so she kind of looks at him as having all the benefits and none of the trauma... It's not true, but writers like making Kara come across as thinking nothing's ever been difficult for her cousin which is demonstrably untrue.

Every time they try to give Kara beef with Clark outside of the very deserved Silver age when he dumped her in an orphanage, she comes across as petty, lumping her own baggage on him. Perhaps I'm an *******, but Kara's consistent need to beat up on one of the only people who actually wants to be in her life at all has gotten goddamn stale.

I didn't like King's voice for Kara in the run. I've never seen her curse so much, but this is a pretty blatant ripoff of True Grit and she's Rooster Cogburn, but man I'm out after this one. The usual King misfire for voices aside, I'm over his retread of True Grit by way of (his own work) Up In The Sky.

If I have one pet peeve of Supergirl stories, it's how writers can't get over comparing her to Superman and trying to tell me why she's so great. It doesn't speak well of a character if the only thing you can say about them is their relationship to someone else.

I think she resents him. He gets all the accolades and he earns them, but she earns her ownt and doesn't. That sucks, but it's not Clark's fault. However, rather than blame others, she usually takes shots at Clark because (I suspect at least) he'll forgive her where humanity probably won't since we met him first and love the dude (at least in the main DCU, that's the story).

This really just came off as King trying to say "isn't she cool" and forgetting that in trying to tell a story about why Supergirl is so uniquely interesting, he went back to the most uninspired takes about her.

I.e., "she's not Superman."

Okay, well to Tom King she's Power Girl who swears more and resents her famous cousin. Hurray. I get he wants to say she's stronger, but this trope is one I'm far too done with and why I've come to really dread Supergirl media.

It's always only a matter of time before Clark needs to show up and be humbled while she takes his dog and reporter career because apparently they can't think of anything to do that's not "she's not Superman, she's a reporter with a Kryptonian dog who okay she's Superman but like she can beat him up is she interesting yet?" The only thing Kara hasn't lifted from Clark or Karen in this book (and yes, while Karen is herself a variation of Supergirl, the personality King is using was long Karen's thing before Kara took it on) is her frankly excessive cursing. It's the one new thing King brought to the table. I don't love it, but that's largely because it's not really the Supergirl I've read for a long time.

She resents him. She resents him because they literally have no idea how to make her interesting without strip mining material from him. She resents him because a lot of writers don't know what other stories to tell about her than "well, she has this cousin..." And it's either "that she's better than" or "that gets all the praise she deserves" or both.

I was hoping that by ripping off True Grit near verbatim, King at least found a different avenue to take her, but alas. Five issues in and we're back at it again. This is Batman showing up in three or less issues of a new run for Superman levels of annoying. I was hanging on the the art but yeah, I'm done with Kara who resents her cousin.

Sorry for being a windbag. I'll go back to shutting the hell up. lol
    Last edited by Robanker; 11-26-2021 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Auto correct sucks
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    He gets used as a stand-in for patriarchal figures in her life and as such is something to topple to prove she's just as good as he is... Except when you keep needing to do it over and over again with the same character, it feels less like "okay, she's as good or better" and more like you know it's unconvincing and really want me to think it is the twenty fifth repetition in. Aside from that, he doesn't remember Krypton so she kind of looks at him as having all the benefits and none of the trauma... It's not true, but writers like making Kara come across as thinking nothing's ever been difficult for her cousin which is demonstrably untrue.

Every time they try to give Kara beef with Clark outside of the very deserved Silver age when he dumped her in an orphanage, she comes across as petty, lumping her own baggage on him. Perhaps I'm an *******, but Kara's consistent need to beat up on one of the only people who actually wants to be in her life at all has gotten goddamn stale.

I didn't like King's voice for Kara in the run. I've never seen her curse so much, but this is a pretty blatant ripoff of True Grit and she's Rooster Cogburn, but man I'm out after this one. The usual King misfire for voices aside, I'm over his retread of True Grit by way of (his own work) Up In The Sky.

If I have one pet peeve of Supergirl stories, it's how writers can't get over comparing her to Superman and trying to tell me why she's so great. It doesn't speak well of a character if the only thing you can say about them is their relationship to someone else.

I think she resents him. He gets all the accolades and he earns them, but she earns her ownt and doesn't. That sucks, but it's not Clark's fault. However, rather than blame others, she usually takes shots at Clark because (I suspect at least) he'll forgive her where humanity probably won't since we met him first and love the dude (at least in the main DCU, that's the story).

This really just came off as King trying to say "isn't she cool" and forgetting that in trying to tell a story about why Supergirl is so uniquely interesting, he went back to the most uninspired takes about her.

I.e., "she's not Superman."

Okay, well to Tom King she's Power Girl who swears more and resents her famous cousin. Hurray. I get he wants to say she's stronger, but this trope is one I'm far too done with and why I've come to really dread Supergirl media.

It's always only a matter of time before Clark needs to show up and be humbled while she takes his dog and reporter career because apparently they can't think of anything to do that's not "she's not Superman, she's a reporter with a Kryptonian dog who okay she's Superman but like she can beat him up is she interesting yet?" The only thing Kara hasn't lifted from Clark or Karen in this book (and yes, while Karen is herself a variation of Supergirl, the personality King is using was long Karen's thing before Kara took it on) is her frankly excessive cursing. It's the one new thing King brought to the table. I don't love it, but that's largely because it's not really the Supergirl I've read for a long time.

She resents him. She resents him because they literally have no idea how to make her interesting without strip mining material from him. She resents him because a lot of writers don't know what other stories to tell about her than "well, she has this cousin..." And it's either "that she's better than" or "that gets all the praise she deserves" or both.

I was hoping that by ripping off True Grit near verbatim, King at least found a different avenue to take her, but alas. Five issues in and we're back at it again. This is Batman showing up in three or less issues of a new run for Superman levels of annoying. I was hanging on the the art but yeah, I'm done with Kara who resents her cousin.

Sorry for being a windbag. I'll go back to shutting the hell up. lol
    I don't think it's... that. I think this is just an issue of how some writers feel that DC heroes and their various family members and legacies have to be in conflict no matter how contrived it may seem. Some fans feed into it as well, leading to moments like this.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't think it's... that. I think this is just an issue of how some writers feel that DC heroes and their various family members and legacies have to be in conflict no matter how contrived it may seem. Some fans feed into it as well, leading to moments like this.
    Sure, but when it's time to write Kara, she always resents him and usually for nothing he did and it just makes her come across as petty. I'm sick to death of it.

I don't really care that she made fun of him. I'm tired that all she can do of late is talk **** while also borrowing his supporting cast, gimmicks and the like.

By all means, talk your ****, by at least tell an original story without his stuff before you do. At least it was True Grit, but then it just became every other Supergirl story, which is why I posted here rather than the series own thread.

In the end, most writers can't let Kara get out from Clark's shadow. They just want to tell stories about his shadow staring Kara. She gets out by the end until the next writer comes in and she's right back in his shadow. The character is doomed to always always be defined by Superman, his friends from the future and his dog, apparently.

I'm no better. I took a crack at including her in a Superman story and she teams up with the dog, but even I had the good sense to know better than "hey what if she resented the only family she has left because... He's successful and well-liked!?"

For that matter, does Kara hate Streaky? It's always Krypto now. Where's the cat?
    Last edited by Robanker; 11-26-2021 at 06:06 AM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Sure, but when it's time to write Kara, she always resents him and usually for nothing he did and it just makes her come across as petty. I'm sick to death of it.

I don't really care that she made fun of him. I'm tired that all she can do of late is talk **** while also borrowing his supporting cast, gimmicks and the like.

By all means, talk your ****, by at least tell an original story without his stuff before you do. At least it was True Grit, but then it just became every other Supergirl story, which is why I posted here rather than the series own thread.

In the end, most writers can't let Kara get out from Clark's shadow. They just want to tell stories about his shadow staring Kara. She gets out by the end until the next writer comes in and she's right back in his shadow. The character is doomed to always always be defined by Superman, his friends from the future and his dog, apparently.

I'm no better. I took a crack at including her in a Superman story and she teams up with the dog, but even I had the good sense to know better than "hey what if she resented the only family she has left because... He's successful and well-liked!?"

For that matter, does Kara hate Streaky? It's always Krypto now. Where's the cat?
    When was the last time Streaky was seen again?

Don't forget his stories. I mean, the tv Supergirl series practically ripped all of the stories fo Superman. Red Son, Superboy meeting the Legion, fighting his enemies, even revealing the secret identity.

The King series had a beautiful art, that is true, but the last issue was a let down. So I left here, even if I can't say nothing against the art.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin