Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Death of Doctor Strange:Spider-man Preview

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/11/24/ex...-spider-man-1/

Looks good.I like Cat's internal monologue.And the Ben Cat debate is intriguing.We obviously know Ben isn't one, yet we can completely understand where Felicia is coming from.I like the edge

I hope the story has something personal about Pete, maybe a shared adventure Doc and Pete had or something.Maybe some artifact he could only unlock like the tablets.Just any good lore building, maybe a written message at the end by Doc to Pete.I'll take anything

(Still a bit salty that Peter doesn't get his story, but excited for Ben nonetheless.Warming up to him)
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 11-25-2021 at 01:49 AM.

Astonishing Member

Minor thing… but five years ago Peter was one of the wealthiest CEOs in the world, and now he can’t afford a hospital bed? Okay…

But yeah, good dialogue between Cat and Ben. Very interesting she knows Ben’s name. They did meet during the Clone Saga. Guess Dr Strange’s forgetting spell only applied to the Peter Parker ID, not the Ben Reilly ID.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Slott pulled the 'emergency destruct switch' on Parker Industries which was basically a big reset button.

Spencer then rubbed it in further by firing Pete from his new job with the Bugle because Pete being a penniless loser is a weird trope writers keep returning to (since the '99 reboot) as he was broke in the Ditko era when he was a child! I don't think Pete even had a job in the Spencer era.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Minor thing… but five years ago Peter was one of the wealthiest CEOs in the world, and now he can’t afford a hospital bed? Okay…
    Peter took minimum pay when CEO, hence he was broke afterwards since he lost his company.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Spencer then rubbed it in further by firing Pete from his new job with the Bugle because Pete being a penniless loser is a weird trope writers keep returning to (since the '99 reboot) as he was broke in the Ditko era when he was a child! I don't think Pete even had a job in the Spencer era.
    I think he had one at horizon labs or the Doc Conners place.And they need to get over that asap, he's over the broke and phase and over the millionare phase IMO

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

This "Ben is antagonized heavily by women he was good friends with" gimmick is getting old pretty fast. At least McKay wrote Ben with a spine and not taking it lying down.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Extraordinary Member

Can you blame them?There was a discussion about this in another thread and it boiled down to Ben being a bad omen for Peter.Doesn't mean he himself is the bad, he's usually the good but just like Peter himself and people in his surroundings trouble follows him.

And w/ how likely it is Beyond set the U-foes up, how Ben is wearing the Spider-man suit/name and how happy he is taken into context w/ both of them sitting next to Peter in a coma in a hospital bed which he can't afford for just doing the right thing I understand why they lashed out on him.

Same way Ben lashing right back makes sense since he's going through so much of the same and more.

I'm looking forward to Aunt May and Ben meeting, she's getting Doc's help rn which he'll use to hurt beyond but I hope May sees it's Ben and they can have a good meet.

Also isn't Ben well off now?I'm not sure how much he gets paid but couldn't he get some money to help Peter pay for the hospital. Beyond does pay for damages and therapy of victims in Ben's fights.Peter can just be a civilian who got hurt.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 11-25-2021 at 04:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    This "Ben is antagonized heavily by women he was good friends with" gimmick is getting old pretty fast. At least McKay wrote Ben with a spine and not taking it lying down.
    While I see your point, I’d make two counter-points; at least for Felicia it makes more sense than MJ. She’s more mercurial and hot tempered. She’s turned on Peter multiple times in the past (not just the regrettable “Queenpin” phase with Slott, but also in the early 90s when she tried to break Flash’s heart just to get back at Peter for leaving her), and I guess the second point is maybe Peter can forgive and forget easily since Ben was “healed”, but that whole Clone Conspiracy stuff was pretty bad and I’m assuming the hard feelings (at least in my head canon) are due to that in most part.

Astonishing Member

Why are they screaming in a Hospital? Millennials I swear...

Astonishing Member

Also, this is the rare tie-in that's written by the writer of the Main Event

and I guess the second point is maybe Peter can forgive and forget easily since Ben was “healed”, but that whole Clone Conspiracy stuff was pretty bad and I’m assuming the hard feelings (at least in my head canon) are due to that in most part.
    I think Felicia was during her edgelord Queenpin phase during CC, and it doesn't seem like much of anything from that landed on her periphery.

Even if it "makes sense", to put it that way, it's the same thing as the suit being hyped up then becoming a paper tiger: it becomes repetitive. And Felicia seemed like she was coming on to Ben pretty strongly when they met in the Clone Saga, so even if you can make a case for MJ, with her it really just feels like the writers just want not to cut the "new guy" some slack on principle more than anything. Because sure, put Ben through the wringer, I'm not here wanting him to be perfect and be met with no disadvantages, but it just feels like it's a move just to make Felicia stand out more than just what'd make more sense for the story (what with McKay already saying "she just wants to see Ben crash and burn"). Or, if anything, maybe they could bother to explain with one narration caption or two how they go from point A to point B.

I mean, they're writers and artists, it's kind of their job.

Hell, speaking of narrations and captions it's kind of telling the book is called "Death of Doctor Strange: Spider-Man" but the opening narration is Felicia's. Might end up being just another stealth "name in the title, book not actually his" thing like the last BEY with Daughters of the Dragon.

Oh, right, was forgetting: the art looks pretty good.
    Last edited by IamnotJudasTraveller; 11-25-2021 at 06:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

Oh, right, was forgetting: the art looks pretty good.
    A shame that Ferreira didn't draw the cover. I can't stand Land

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Also, this is the rare tie-in that's written by the writer of the Main Event
    Is it just this one or are all of them done by Jed?
    He seems to be the Black Cat guy so I can see him doing just this one
    Same way Devil's Reign has woman w/out fear by Chip

I think Felicia was during her edgelord Queenpin phase during CC, and it doesn't seem like much of anything from that landed on her periphery.
    People do talk, and w/ her connections I'd be surprised if she didn't know about CC.

Even if it "makes sense", to put it that way, it's the same thing as the suit being hyped up then becoming a paper tiger: it becomes repetitive. And Felicia seemed like she was coming on to Ben pretty strongly when they met in the Clone Saga, so even if you can make a case for MJ, with her it really just feels like the writers just want not to cut the "new guy" some slack on principle more than anything.
    Her coming onto him felt more OOC than this.Just based on the fact at how accepting she and others were written to be of the clone bait-and-switch(then again it's been a while since I read that and maybe I'm dead wrong here).I remember the X-men just being whatever about it lol.
    Both could have been better, but this can be chalked up to impulse alone.

But I agree on the larger point.I'd like if we could get people to treat him like he wasn't new, maybe interact w/ people who knew him?

Because sure, put Ben through the wringer, I'm not here wanting him to be perfect and be met with no disadvantages, but it just feels like it's a move just to make Felicia stand out more than just what'd make more sense for the story (what with McKay already saying "she just wants to see Ben crash and burn"). Or, if anything, maybe they could bother to explain with one narration caption or two how they go from point A to point B.
    Solicits were pretty clear she's tagging along to keep an eye on him, not as a friend.

And Mckay has a Cat bias so expect shenanigans.

Hell, speaking of narrations and captions it's kind of telling the book is called "Death of Doctor Strange: Spider-Man" but the opening narration is Felicia's. Might end up being just another stealth "name in the title, book not actually his" thing like the last BEY with Daughters of the Dragon.
    Then again it really should be Peter's (ti'z but a joke, forgive me I couldn't resist)

In all seriousness I hope he's competent in this, well... as competent as one can be when dealing w/ magic.And Fel and Ben can mend things throughout this, just like they did w/MJ.

Astonishing Member

I think we just need to accept that the writers are just not as knowledgeable or passionate about clone saga-era continuity and characterization as we are. I get the complaint. Felicia always seemed a bit unhinged to me, so I can kind of accept it. We’ll see how it plays out in the following pages/issues.

I think we just need to accept that the writers are just not as knowledgeable or passionate about clone saga-era continuity and characterization as we are. I get the complaint.
    Hey, we survived Clone Conspiracy and PAD's run, that's not so much something I thought needed acceptance so much as I took it for granted going in. It's just repetitive and not even in a good way, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Then again it really should be Peter's (ti'z but a joke, forgive me I couldn't resist)
    Hey, that definitely sounds like something I'd expect out of a Spider-Man book..

Now that MJ's warmed up to Ben again, I guess it's Felicia's turn to be cold to him.