Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I really liked this I saw it yesterday. And speaking with co workers that also went they also enjoyed it. I knew from the trailers it was going to be pretty comedic. And I found that most of the jokes worked.

Hela worked for me and was a MUCH needed villain with real threat, and something MCU has famously lacked with decent menacing villains.
    We got a nice little taste of Planet Hulk without the full drama obviously. But with the way Hulk rights are in limbo its better than nothing if we aren't getting a full Planet Hulk Movie.

I thought Doctor Strange cameo was done well and very in character. I would actually like that tone of the character in future movies.

There was real consequence though, and you actually got Ragnarok it wasn't a bait and switch.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I really liked this I saw it yesterday. And speaking with co workers that also went they also enjoyed it. I knew from the trailers it was going to be pretty comedic. And I found that most of the jokes worked.

Hela worked for me and was a MUCH needed villain with real threat, and something MCU has famously lacked with decent menacing villains.
    We got a nice little taste of Planet Hulk without the full drama obviously. But with the way Hulk rights are in limbo its better than nothing if we aren't getting a full Planet Hulk Movie.

I thought Doctor Strange cameo was done well and very in character. I would actually like that tone of the character in future movies.

There was real consequence though, and you actually got Ragnarok it wasn't a bait and switch.
    The least impressive version of Ragnarok ever. Also it's called the "end of all things," and, well they didn't do that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    With all due respect he s entitled to his own opinion. Most people loved it. Some didnt. Nuff said.
    That's one thing that I cannot stand. Look if you liked the movie, fine. If you didn't like the movie, also fine. But don't insult other people for daring to not share your opinion. Saying crap like "well you just didn't get it," or "you just weren't paying attention" doesn't help ones argument.

There are plenty of films that I don't like that other people do. And I don't begrudge them that, even if I don't agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Except it was. They even said it in the movie talking about the whole "Asgard is its people, not the city." Aside from the humor, that very explanation devalues its destruction.

Really, the title "Ragnarok" for this movie was essentially an affectation. Its purpose was to erase whatever happened in the first two Thor films and streamline the Asgardian ranks for the upcoming Infinity War film.

Plus, at least for me, "fun" doesn't always equal "funny, humorous, comedic." Fun can be great action and even some tense drama. The most fun I had with a Marvel film was with Winter Soldier. Cool action, some funny lines and a solid plot with levity when needed. Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread with some existential debate about film enjoyment. I'm sure the movie will make boatloads of money and many people will enjoy it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Plus, at least for me, "fun" doesn't always equal "funny, humorous, comedic." Fun can be great action and even some tense drama. The most fun I had with a Marvel film was with Winter Soldier. Cool action, some funny lines and a solid plot with levity when needed. Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread with some existential debate about film enjoyment. I'm sure the movie will make boatloads of money and many people will enjoy it.
    Exactly.

For some reason Marvel studios haven't cracked the "Thor code" and they've constantly leaned into other elements outside of the comics mythology (like the ridiculous romance with Jane Foster and now the very broad comedy).

I've resigned to fate that we're never going to get the sweeping epic stories from the comics and the mythology itself. That's not to say Thor Ragnarok is a bad movie but it's definitely not for the core comic book audience.

Mighty Member

WS stands alongside The Dark Knight as one of the greatest comic book movies ever made.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    That's one thing that I cannot stand. Look if you liked the movie, fine. If you didn't like the movie, also fine. But don't insult other people for daring to not share your opinion. Saying crap like "well you just didn't get it," or "you just weren't paying attention" doesn't help ones argument.

There are plenty of films that I don't like that other people do. And I don't begrudge them that, even if I don't agree with them.
    It reminds me of when I was a kid, and if someone didnt like a popular movie or tv show the other kids picked on them. My friends were horrified when I preferred Star Wars to Grease!

Mighty Member

Except it was. They even said it in the movie talking about the whole "Asgard is its people, not the city." Aside from the humor, that very explanation devalues its destruction.

Really, the title "Ragnarok" for this movie was essentially an affectation. Its purpose was to erase whatever happened in the first two Thor films and streamline the Asgardian ranks for the upcoming Infinity War film.
    I suspect it is more because Waititi wanted to make his own movie than to streamline the ranks - why introduce Valkyrie when there was already Sif? Why kill off the Warriors 3 and introduce a lot of new characters? Doesnt make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

For some reason Marvel studios haven't cracked the "Thor code" and they've constantly leaned into other elements outside of the comics mythology (like the ridiculous romance with Jane Foster and now the very broad comedy).

I've resigned to fate that we're never going to get the sweeping epic stories from the comics and the mythology itself. That's not to say Thor Ragnarok is a bad movie but it's definitely not for the core comic book audience.
    I dunno. I'm part of the comic book audience and I dug it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    I dunno. I'm part of the comic book audience and I dug it.
    Same here it was silly but had plenty of serious stuff going on. Yea they undercut it with jokes but that was to keep up the pace. This movie is probaly thr best paced movie ive seen this year. It never drags for a moment. We tried Serious thor movies but they couldnt crack it. They were ok at bestml. So they said lets try fun and the suceeded. I found it hard to believe a significant percentage of ppl wont have a blast watching this. A small chunk just dont like marvel movies at all/And a few brought there own baggage into it.

Similar thing happened with MoS bit two differences. 1. Way more ppl have expectations of a supes character then thor.
    2. Thor was fun which gives it alot more room for error

I wasn't really messing with this movie at all, but then again, I'm not much of a Hulk or Thor fan. I thought the humor was pretty childish which would be cool for 10-13 year olds, but not for my mid 20s self. The slapstick was pretty good though. The banter between Hulk and Thor basically consisted of them behaving like little boys and the audience is supposed to laugh because they are not that, but rather larger than life men. Hulk would say something like, "Hulk not doo doo head, Thor is doo doo head!" and Thor would reply, "Unheard of! It is you with the stinky head of doo doo!" and we're all supposed to cry in tears. I mostly gave it the blank face O_O

The villains/antagonists once again are bland as hell. I've only watched the first Thor, so forgive my ignorance, but Hela seemed to be a last minute villain, introduced briefly by a dying Odin like, "OH BY THE WAY, you have a sister and she's the Goddess of Death. OK, BYE!!!" Then she pops in and speaks in heavy exposition like, "I am Hela, true heir to throne, blah blah blah." which is lazy writing to me. Hela literally asking Skurge what his motivations were was an even more egregious example lol.

Grandmaster played by Goldblum...bleh. Something about a flamboyant dictator that enslaved and oppressed his people just seemed wrong to me. The behavior in which he carried himself didn't make me believe the commoners would fear him at all. They lost a good opportunity to build up a rebellion led by Thor or Hulk to overthrow their oppressive dictator IMO.

On second thought, maybe Grandmaster's flamboyant, playful demeanor wouldn't bother me so much if the other antagonist in Hela didn't display the demeanor as well at times or that big Flame guy that is destined to destroy Asgard. There wasn't any gravity or stakes in the movie. So much levity, I can't find myself worrying about their plight to save Asgard when it's all treated as a joke.

Thor and Hulk showdown was impressive. I'd probably just watch that scene when in the mood. The rest of the action was OK I guess. Mostly CGI figures mauling a horde of other CGI figures otherwise with lightning and spinning and slashing. They had an interesting idea of having a battle on the bridge, one in the air, and one in the water for the last act, but it didn't connect well to me. LOTR did something similar in terms of mini-battles going on and I was hoping for something like that.
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post

Well this situation was a bit different, as one of the things AJBopp was complaining about actually DID happen. If he missed that then he clearly wasn't paying attention. It's not just a dig at him/her for a difference of opinion.

Thor: Ragnarok. Really Marvel. I thought Spider-Man: Homecoming was the slapstickiest (I realize that is not a word but it will be one for this particular purpose) Marvel Movie to date and then they had to one up with Thor.

I went in not really knowing what to expect. I think I saw one trailer and kinda cut myself off from everything else. But man was I disappointed. I was hoping for an epic THor movie not a comedy with a few epic moments sprinkled about.

It's not all bad, there are some things to like: 1. HELA- she was a freakin real threat and it was something the Marvel movies have been lacking, and so I was happy to see a real threat befall Asgard. And it was interesting to see how they changed her backstory and made her Odin's first born.

2. Thor realizing towards the end that he is not the God of Hammers but the freakin GOD OF THUNDER!!! That was a cool scene with him fully realizing his potential...not to mention the whole looking like OLD KING THOR from Jason Aaron's God of THunder run. That was pretty awesome.

3. The Grandmaster- Come on Jeff Goldblum....nuff said. I really enjoyed his eccentric flamboyant character. I think he should have been the only really comedic element in the movie. I was dying laughing after he used the melt stick, and that whole It's my birthday scene. Pretty much every scene Jeff Goldblum was in I liked.

4. Valkyrie- I liked her arc as an indifferent soldier with PTSD and jumping back in the fray at the end to avenge her fallen sisters. And come on Tessa Thompson (My heart stopped whenever she was on screen, she is so beautiful )

What didn't work or what I didn't like Pretty much everything else.

1. Comedy was waaaaaaaay too over the top.
    2. The Hulk- Yeah Yeah Hulk Smash. That was okay and all but what really grind my gears was the fact that the script just glossed over the fact that Banner had been stuck as the HUlk for 2 years. I think that scene should have had more weight to it, instead of just...insert Joke Here about Tony's clothes. That's a helluva thing to wake up to....being stuck as the other guy for 2 years and on a foreign planet. And then have to turn back into said other guy.....not knowing if he will ever change back.

3. Asgard's History- Another plot point that was glossed over. I think we should have had more moments with Thor looking at the mural on the ceiling and seeing the true history of Asgard. TO see how his father was a Tyrant at one point and the very gold that he walks on is tainted with the blood of innocents. This was another scene to me that should have been a little more heavy. To know everything about the man that raised you to be a lie.

4. Skurge? What was his purpose again...other than to be more Comic relief. Karl Urban is awesome but I feel he might have been wasted on this throwaway character.

5. THe Warriors of Three and their quick deaths. I mean really. They were there and then they weren't. They deserved better.
    6. No sif.

I could go on but those are just a few things. I really wanted to like this movie but to me it feels like they really didn't care with this one. It was like we'll just make it the best comedy we can. I mean it's great for anyone 15 or less, but 16 and up....Nah. but then again that's just my opinion.

I give it 4 Mjolnir out of ten

I greatly enjoyed it. I mean, Asgard was a bit underpopulated, and we could've seen more of the resistance against Hela while Thor was figuring out Sakaar, but I thought it had more weight to it than Dark World. I was a bit disappointed that Civil War didn't feel like a true end to the Captain America movies and coming full circle with his character, but I thought Ragnarok did that with Thor (compare Cap losing his shield and Thor losing his hammer and what that meant for those characters). And they managed to do something different with him and Loki.

I'm sure we'll see more of what's going on with Bruce Banner later, but I liked how they played up the parallels more between him and Hulk in this movie. Thor taking the exact same approach to winning Hulk and then Banner over to his side. And Banner's face reflected by Hulk's face in the Quinjet logs.

Hulk, Valkyrie, and Dr. Strange in one movie? Are we sure Defenders is a Netflix show?

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    mind-boggeling amount of easter eggs. may it be shots, backgrounds, phrases or concepts.

the escape-ship looks like skuttlebutt(spelling, did not google, beta ray billīs ship, which houses his entire race)
    but my fav EE is the last unicorn nod, "thatīs what heroes do"
    Was that specifically Last Unicorn? That's what I was thinking when I heard it, but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    One of my favorite gags was the willy wonka song as thors being introduced to Sakaar on that ride. Another thing thay made the theater errupt in laughter.
    That was funny. Odd how Supergirl also used that song the same week, though.