Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    Thor: Ragnarok. Really Marvel. I thought Spider-Man: Homecoming was the slapstickiest (I realize that is not a word but it will be one for this particular purpose) Marvel Movie to date and then they had to one up with Thor.

I went in not really knowing what to expect. I think I saw one trailer and kinda cut myself off from everything else. But man was I disappointed. I was hoping for an epic THor movie not a comedy with a few epic moments sprinkled about.

It's not all bad, there are some things to like: 1. HELA- she was a freakin real threat and it was something the Marvel movies have been lacking, and so I was happy to see a real threat befall Asgard. And it was interesting to see how they changed her backstory and made her Odin's first born.

2. Thor realizing towards the end that he is not the God of Hammers but the freakin GOD OF THUNDER!!! That was a cool scene with him fully realizing his potential...not to mention the whole looking like OLD KING THOR from Jason Aaron's God of THunder run. That was pretty awesome.

3. The Grandmaster- Come on Jeff Goldblum....nuff said. I really enjoyed his eccentric flamboyant character. I think he should have been the only really comedic element in the movie. I was dying laughing after he used the melt stick, and that whole It's my birthday scene. Pretty much every scene Jeff Goldblum was in I liked.

4. Valkyrie- I liked her arc as an indifferent soldier with PTSD and jumping back in the fray at the end to avenge her fallen sisters. And come on Tessa Thompson (My heart stopped whenever she was on screen, she is so beautiful )

What didn't work or what I didn't like Pretty much everything else.

1. Comedy was waaaaaaaay too over the top.
    2. The Hulk- Yeah Yeah Hulk Smash. That was okay and all but what really grind my gears was the fact that the script just glossed over the fact that Banner had been stuck as the HUlk for 2 years. I think that scene should have had more weight to it, instead of just...insert Joke Here about Tony's clothes. That's a helluva thing to wake up to....being stuck as the other guy for 2 years and on a foreign planet. And then have to turn back into said other guy.....not knowing if he will ever change back.

3. Asgard's History- Another plot point that was glossed over. I think we should have had more moments with Thor looking at the mural on the ceiling and seeing the true history of Asgard. TO see how his father was a Tyrant at one point and the very gold that he walks on is tainted with the blood of innocents. This was another scene to me that should have been a little more heavy. To know everything about the man that raised you to be a lie.

4. Skurge? What was his purpose again...other than to be more Comic relief. Karl Urban is awesome but I feel he might have been wasted on this throwaway character.

5. THe Warriors of Three and their quick deaths. I mean really. They were there and then they weren't. They deserved better.
    6. No sif.

I could go on but those are just a few things. I really wanted to like this movie but to me it feels like they really didn't care with this one. It was like we'll just make it the best comedy we can. I mean it's great for anyone 15 or less, but 16 and up....Nah. but then again that's just my opinion.

I give it 4 Mjolnir out of ten
    I got the impression it was aimed at a younger audience myself. One thing that annoyed me was the directors attitude towards some fans who contacted him saying they were disappointed. It ranged from the arrogant ( this is going to be the best film of the year) to the outright rude (making a farting noise in response to one twitter comment). The man is supposed to be a genius but he came across as immature and crass. Reminded me too much of Remender and the hobo p*** comment.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I have faith in the Russo brothers.
    I do too. It's funny I don't like how serious the DC movies are but now I'm complaining about too much fun haha By the way I really liked all the movies that have come out post-Guardians. The only movie that I felt was hurt by too much humor was Doctor Strange. I would have preferred that to be a little more serious, but that's just taste.

Kind of annoyed The Warriors Three were so casually killed off. Thor didn't even have a chance to acknowledge their existence and death. They deserved more based on their importance to him in the previous films. I suppose the absence of Sif is a blessing in disguise since she wasn't killed off, too.

Nonetheless, I did think the movie was extremely fun. I hope, at least, The Warriors Three gets some kind of acknowledgement in the next Thor film, like a glimpse of them in Valhalla, or maybe have their death undone by Infinity War.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Have you ever considered when you draw such conclusions you may have missed something? Like in this case a "plot development that had been foreshadowed earlier in the film" which was literally telegraphed at three points in the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Well this situation was a bit different, as one of the things AJBopp was complaining about actually DID happen. If he missed that then he clearly wasn't paying attention. It's not just a dig at him/her for a difference of opinion.
    With all due respect he s entitled to his own opinion. Most people loved it. Some didnt. Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    That's one thing that I cannot stand. Look if you liked the movie, fine. If you didn't like the movie, also fine. But don't insult other people for daring to not share your opinion. Saying crap like "well you just didn't get it," or "you just weren't paying attention" doesn't help ones argument.

There are plenty of films that I don't like that other people do. And I don't begrudge them that, even if I don't agree with them.
    It reminds me of when I was a kid, and if someone didnt like a popular movie or tv show the other kids picked on them. My friends were horrified when I preferred Star Wars to Grease!

Meh. They've got a point. I misspoke in some places. It's not that certain things weren't there, it's that they weren't done very well. This may have had something to do with the comedic tone of the movie. Because nothing is expected to be taken very seriously, it sort of gets lost when there's something tossed into the story that actually is supposed to mean something. Pretty much every scene without Hela is intended to be laughed at and discarded as an empty laugh. I would personally put this movie right around Rise Of The Silver Surfer in terms of entertainment value. Not horrible, but only a vague shadow of what it could have been.

Again, I'm clearly in the minority on that view, and I'm glad there are a lot of people getting a kick out of it. But I still think it's the worst possible lead-in to Infinity War. The tone is all wrong for the scale of the crisis. Imagine if general audiences are expecting something similar with Thanos? Imagine if it is something similar?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Kind of annoyed The Warriors Three were so casually killed off. Thor didn't even have a chance to acknowledge their existence and death. They deserved more based on their importance to him in the previous films. I suppose the absence of Sif is a blessing in disguise since she wasn't killed off, too.

Nonetheless, I did think the movie was extremely fun. I hope, at least, The Warriors Three gets some kind of acknowledgement in the next Thor film, like a glimpse of them in Valhalla, or maybe have their death undone by Infinity War.
    I think its something that happens when the directors change.....sometimes it can actually improve things, other times dramatically alter things for the worse. Thors breakup with Jane happened off screen and Sif disappeared because Waititi wanted his heroine front and centre; I had high hopes for Rogue post X2 but Ratner practically wrote her out of Last Stand to replace her with Kitty and by the time Singer returned the films had become the Jennifer Lawrence story. You take the rough with the smooth, I guess.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Meh. They've got a point. I misspoke in some places. It's not that certain things weren't there, it's that they weren't done very well. This may have had something to do with the comedic tone of the movie. Because nothing is expected to be taken very seriously, it sort of gets lost when there's something tossed into the story that actually is supposed to mean something. Pretty much every scene without Hela is intended to be laughed at and discarded as an empty laugh. I would personally put this movie right around Rise Of The Silver Surfer in terms of entertainment value. Not horrible, but only a vague shadow of what it could have been.

Again, I'm clearly in the minority on that view, and I'm glad there are a lot of people getting a kick out of it. But I still think it's the worst possible lead-in to Infinity War. The tone is all wrong for the scale of the crisis. Imagine if general audiences are expecting something similar with Thanos? Imagine if it is something similar?
    Worrying thing is, the box office and critical success might very well lead them to hiring Waititi again - hes already talking about a Black Widow solo he wants to turn into a comedy.

Worrying thing is, the box office and critical success might very well lead them to hiring Waititi again - hes already talking about a Black Widow solo he wants to turn into a comedy.
    It doesn't worry me at all. He did a great job, made a very good movie, and deserves to be hired again.

Astonishing Member

I think its something that happens when the directors change.....sometimes it can actually improve things, other times dramatically alter things for the worse. Thors breakup with Jane happened off screen and Sif disappeared because Waititi wanted his heroine front and centre; I had high hopes for Rogue post X2 but Ratner practically wrote her out of Last Stand to replace her with Kitty and by the time Singer returned the films had become the Jennifer Lawrence story. You take the rough with the smooth, I guess.
    I thought the reason was that Portman didn't want to be in the third movie and Jamie Alexander was shooting her TV show and wasn't available during the filming of the movie.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    It doesn't worry me at all. He did a great job, made a very good movie, and deserves to be hired again.
    Fair enough but I hope he doesnt just do comedy.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    I thought the reason was that Portman didn't want to be in the third movie and Jamie Alexander was shooting her TV show and wasn't available during the filming of the movie.
    Okay.....first of all its the characters more than the actresses who were important to the Thor storyline, with respect to Portman, who Im a fan of, and Alexander, who was a great Sif. Sif is an iconic member of the Thor stories - shes more important to his saga than Rhodey in Iron Man. If Jaime couldnt make it then they could have recast - a la Fandral and Rhodey. As for Jane Foster...she was the reason Thor chose Earth over Asgard at the end of Dark World. They could have at least had a scene where they said goodbye. And if Portman didnt want to be in the third film ....again recast. The media are known for wrong reporting but I did read that Alexander wanted to be inh the film, but Marvel took so long to let her know that by the time they bothered to ask her she already had other commitments. In any case, they practically threw five major characters away....why?

Fair enough but I hope he doesnt just do comedy.
    I don't think a Black Widow movie fits with his style, but I'd love to see him do an Ant Man movie.

Astonishing Member

Okay.....first of all its the characters more than the actresses who were important to the Thor storyline, with respect to Portman, who Im a fan of, and Alexander, who was a great Sif. Sif is an iconic member of the Thor stories - shes more important to his saga than Rhodey in Iron Man. If Jaime couldnt make it then they could have recast - a la Fandral and Rhodey. As for Jane Foster...she was the reason Thor chose Earth over Asgard at the end of Dark World. They could have at least had a scene where they said goodbye. And if Portman didnt want to be in the third film ....again recast. The media are known for wrong reporting but I did read that Alexander wanted to be inh the film, but Marvel took so long to let her know that by the time they bothered to ask her she already had other commitments. In any case, they practically threw five major characters away....why?
    The significance of the characters in the movies is not the same as the significance in the comics. Foster in the movies is a love interest and a POV character for the audience to learn about Thor and Asgard. Sif is a warrior friend who has a crush on Thor. Neither of these relationships are the most important in the movies. That would be the Thor/Loki brotherly relationship. The recastings were for characters that had only appeared in one movie. Both Portman and Alexander have appeared in multiple movies. If neither actor is available, then it would be much easier to write them out than to recast them for a movie where they would not have much to do.

If the media are known for wrong reporting, how do message board postings rank? You've stated as fact that Waititi decided not to use the characters. This goes against every credible source that the story was developed by the same screenwriters as the first two movies. Waititi has stated in interviews that he was able to make the tone and jokes in the movie, but the plot was already in place.

The reason the characters were killed off is the same reason that the hammer was destroyed. The movie was about Thor losing his support and having to learn to be a leader. Jane and he broke up before the movie began. He loses his father, has his hammer destroyed, his friends are killed by Hela, and in the end even the place he grew up and lived is gone. Thor has to take the loss and rise above it to become the new King of the Asgardians.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post

Completely fair, but i think this movie was serious enough to stay out of parody terriotory and to not make ppl expect all marvel movies to not be taken serious. This movie had real stakes and impact. They just undercut it out all for comedy most the time or just moved on too fast for the sake of keeping the pace up. I loved the thor and loki moment in the elevator it was great. I wish they woulda gave it another moment to breathe before the jokes came in. But overall i had fun and enjoyed it. But yea its nowhere near perfect.

Its funny the killed off all the side charatcers except the one guy who doesnt seem to want to be in these movies. To be fair Elba only spoke out once and he had just finished a long shoot in africa for mandella and got no time off before being called in for reshoots on Thor 2. So maybe he doesnt hate the movies just was in a bad mood when he talked to that reporter
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-08-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Most fun I had at the movies in awhile. So much action a great pacing the 2hrs flew by and this is easily Hemsworth best performance in probably any movie definitely as Thor. Gotta say Cate Blanchett rocked and maybe she's getting even sexier with age. Yeah a lot of jokes but they worked and we all need a laugh after the last couple of months. Thor, Hulk and misfits had great chemistry. And again the action really on point and filmed well a lot of memorable scenes here. I really prefer this style of storytelling over large swaths of talking and downtime in these movies.

Also the scooby gang was not missed neither was earth for the most part. But yeah def going to see this again.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 11-08-2017 at 05:30 PM.

BANNED

Saw it, loved it...easily the best Thor standalone movie.