Page 729 of 1010 FirstFirst ... 229629679719725726727728729730731732733739779829 ... LastLast
Results 10,921 to 10,935 of 15150
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    He did actually he filled in for two issues.
    Like I said I don't really care if he did. I wasn't happy with his handling of Damian nor the resulting situation with Wally so I've simply decided to avoid the rest of his work. Priest isn't the first writer that's rubbed me the wrong way and he's likely not the last either.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 03-13-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Extraordinary Member

Yet Priest wrote Batman back then or so I heard. But was it even good?
    He wrote two issues of Batman (directly the ones after Stralin's run ended) and Btaman Annual #13. The Annual actually features Jason.

The problem with Jason and resaerch is genral, that if the writers only read the big stories (like Morrisons Run) they only read very crappy appearences of him.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Like I said I don't really care if he did. I wasn't happy with his handling of Damian nor the resulting situation with Wally so I've simply decided to avoid the rest of his work. Priest isn't the first writer that's rubbed me the wrong way and he's likely not the last either.
    Well according to his website he did all that because he wants to try to make things interesting by not keeping things too perfect. The outrage he received over Damian and Wally West I gave him that fans don't want their favourite characters to struggle internally.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    He wrote two issues of Batman (directly the ones after Starlin's run ended) and Batman Annual #13. The Annual actually features Jason.

The problem with Jason and resaerch is genral, that if the writers only read the big stories (like Morrisons Run) they only read very crappy appearances of him.
    Well that's not fair and awkward it's was clear from some old fan letters I found people did like Jason and it sounds like the majority may or may not ignore anything positive the writers did with Jason during his tenure as Robin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by EMarie View Post
    That's not great if he can't get him right. What if he just thinks of Jason as the jealous Robin then writes him like he's petty and still holding grudges?
    My dark humor knows no bounds.

It`s a valid concern of course but I think someone might have already pointed out it was Tim who said the line to Damian by now if not himself. I do like the prospect of Priest writting Jason in some capaciy. He`s good with complex characters given the homework.

Well according to his website he did all that because he wants to try to make things interesting by not keeping things too perfect. The outrage he received over Damian and Wally West I gave him that fans don't want their favourite characters to struggle internally.
    I don't mind when writers shake things up to make it interesting but I do mind when the shake up feels forced or doesn't make logical sense and that is what I felt happened in this case. The Speed Force would have healed the damage to Wally's heart and my problem with Damian's involvement stems from what I see as Priest regressing the character back a few years for the sake of the story. Writer's have a bad habit of doing that with Damian and throwing out the character growth he's had over the years in the process just so they can have him be more edgy. Personally I'm a bit sick of it.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    My dark humor knows no bounds.

It`s a valid concern of course but I think someone might have already pointed out it was Tim who said the line to Damian by now if not himself. I do like the prospect of Priest writting Jason in some capaciy. He`s good with complex characters given the homework.
    He said on his website that he doesn't like Dick because he wasn't very complex because there just wasn't many flaws to him but still the anger Tim felt towards Batman keeping secrets from him and being jealous technically gave Tim the complexity Priest claimed that Dick lacks. So why not stick to history and do it that way? Or is because after how badly received the heart problem Wally West I got he doesn't want to go anywhere near characters who he considers white bread characters?

BANNED

He can use Tim for sure but it might be that he prefers Jason because of what you just said. He`s not a white bread character or safe.

I get some fans being concerned given what he did to Wally but Jason isn`t Wally. That`s all the answer I can give. His record with characters like Panther and Slade make me water my mouth with what he could do with Jay because Priest does have the good handle when it comes to ethics and do(a)uble morality. Then again, he`s not perfect, nobody is but if I could chose, I rather he tried it to see what could happen.

If it is great, swesome if it is a miss, too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I don't mind when writers shake things up to make it interesting but I do mind when the shake up feels forced or doesn't make logical sense and that is what I felt happened in this case. The Speed Force would have healed the damage to Wally's heart and my problem with Damian's involvement stems from what I see as Priest regressing the character back a few years for the sake of the story. Writer's have a bad habit of doing that with Damian and throwing out the character growth he's had over the years in the process just so they can have him be more edgy. Personally I'm a bit sick of it.
    I can see where you're going with this and I know it should too but I'm not sure that's how he views the Speedforce but maybe he thinks it shouldn't function like Wolverine's healing factor which is so powerful to the point of lacking in realism. And Priest seems to opt for a more realistic way of writing stories these days. As for Damian he might see Damian as the type of character with a willingness to take extreme steps because that's what Batman is known for at times and Damian is in a sense a mini-Batman. And also according to his blog where he acknowledge the growth Damian went through well he says after they got rid of the flaws then what's next?

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    He can use Tim for sure but it might be that he prefers Jason because of what you just said. He`s not a white bread character or safe.

I get some fans being concerned given what he did to Wally but Jason isn`t Wally. That`s all the answer I can give. His record with characters like Panther and Slade make me water my mouth with what he could do with Jay because Priest does have the good handle when it comes to ethics and do(a)uble morality. Then again, he`s not perfect, nobody is but if I could chose, I rather he tried it to see what could happen.

If it is great, awesome if it is a miss, too bad.
    Well at that point Tim was growing past his old white bread characterisation though I can't imagine fans being too happy that Tim had fallen into jealousy back then because he was a fun personified, everyman character and that's what made him enduring to fans. But there's no reason he can't be fun and complex all at the same time. Well i do hope he does do Jason justice if he doesn't want to go anywhere near TIm after Wally West I. THough he's currently writing Superman a character by a certain standard might not be very complex.

Fantastic Member

Do we even know if he's writing Jason or Tim?

On Lazarus Contract, I thought it was mostly a mess regardless of who was writing. I agree with some of the things Priest says but not all. I fail to see why Wally even needed a heart problem if he already has all this baggage of his life being a mess. I could go on for awhile what I didn't like about Damian. Characters can mature without losing their identity and backpedaling just makes them boring to me because there is no growth. That's why I love Jason when he's written by Lobdell. You can see the growth from the first RHATO to the current series. It makes the way he's written in other books all the more grating.

Quote Originally Posted by EMarie View Post
    Do we even know if he's writing Jason or Tim?

On Lazarus Contract, I thought it was mostly a mess regardless of who was writing. I agree with some of the things Priest says but not all. I fail to see why Wally even needed a heart problem if he already has all this baggage of his life being a mess. I could go on for awhile what I didn't like about Damian. Characters can mature without losing their identity and backpedaling just makes them boring to me because there is no growth. That's why I love Jason when he's written by Lobdell. You can see the growth from the first RHATO to the current series. It makes the way he's written in other books all the more grating.
    I think he was pointing that scene more because, for him, apparently, was a neutral statement, rather than because he was planning on using Jason (well, we now know it was Tim) as a character for his story. Now that I see that page, I agree, it wasn't neutral at all; Alfred kind of confirmed that Bruce did the paternity test and probably was aware of the result.

My worst offender in Priest's part from the Lazarus Contract, more than puting Wally into that weak heart thing (that probably was something he carried from from Abnett, to be honest; I can easily see them having that idea for Wally and asking Priest to come with a reason for Wally to be stuck into his current status), how he depicted Wally as a helpless and kind of childish adult when Slade got his powers and outrun and beat him. I love Wally, and that was way, way OoC for cheap drama alone (the idea about go find Joseph made sense and was nice, though). And sure it hurt Damian's development as a character, but I'm afraid he's suffering the same problem Jason suffers outside the writers and readers that fail to read the stuff that has made him melt down and being an actual good person (even in Super Sons, where he is an arrogant brat for comedy reasons, he's manipulative and all that, but never a totally insensitive jerk that is willed to kill his partners without remorse or even warning; he's a good kid overall, as he is in other titles, and as much as I don't like him).

I'm having some flashes now; I was so disappointed by that crossover, and it made me get mad in the end.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-13-2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: adding a bit more about Damian

I can see where you're going with this and I know it should too but I'm not sure that's how he views the Speedforce but maybe he thinks it shouldn't function like Wolverine's healing factor which is so powerful to the point of lacking in realism. And Priest seems to opt for a more realistic way of writing stories these days. As for Damian he might see Damian as the type of character with a willingness to take extreme steps because that's what Batman is known for at times and Damian is in a sense a mini-Batman. And also according to his blog where he acknowledge the growth Damian went through well he says after they got rid of the flaws then what's next?
    Again its not Damian's flaws that are the problem but the way writers handle those flaws. They tend to dial up his flaws to 11 and there is also a tendency to pull him back to square one in order to do so. Also character growth doesn't mean that the flaws go away completely and I hope that's not what Priest was saying there. Damian struggles with his flaws constantly and we see that a lot in various stories but I feel that at the end of the day his training with Dick and his oath not to kill be the thing that keeps him from reacting to things as his assassin training would have him do. Up until the N52 reset things his vow not to kill was extremely important to him as was following his father's teachings. His own mother disowned him even in reaction to his wanting to follow the path of his father rather his grandfather.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 03-13-2018 at 02:08 PM.