Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Not buckling to Disney's bullshit you mean?
    You believe want you want to believe. All I know is Shareholders are going to be pissed off.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    ...The big question is why Disney would even make this deal? The MCU never needed Spider-Man, was it ego, stupidity or both.
    Disney began a content acquisition binge a few years back, largely it seemed, motivated by fear that Disney would end up at an insurmountable disadvantage to streaming services like Netflix and (even more so) Amazon, if they did not collect as many properties as they could. Disney bought both Lucas Film and Marvel as part of that acquisition binge.

As to Spider-Man in particular, the MCU could have done just fine without him. Phase 3 might have lacked a little something to the comic fans absent the character, but Spider-Man wasn't essential to any of the three non-title films that featured him. Further, given their success with Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and GotG, it seems likely that Marvel Studios could have filled his niche just as well with characters like Vance Astro, Nova, or even Speedball. I don't claim any of those would have been as lucrative as the Spider-Home films, but Feige's Marvel hasn't put a real loser on the table since Iron Man.

However, at the corporate level, Marvel and Disney wanted control back over as many of their properties as they could get. (Pure speculation follows) Seems likely that Disney made the Spider-Man deal in hopes that it would be step one toward reacquiring rights to their most prominent single Marvel IP.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I'm kind of amazed on how some of the fanboys are acting over this split. Simply put this was a money disagreement where neither side could mutually benefit...
    Agreed. If there is one thread that illustrates fandom's inane tendencies, this one has to be it. Especially with some of the insistence on defining a good-guy/bad-guy narrative about these two corporations.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Not buckling to Disney's bullshit you mean?
    Not securing a deal that lets them have a slice of the Marvel cinema pie going forward I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Agreed. If there is one thread that illustrates fandom's inane tendencies, this one has to be it. Especially with some of the insistence on defining a good-guy/bad-guy narrative about these two corporations.
    Nah, thats the "Does anyone hate the mcu " thread.

Mighty Member

I can't help but think that just as Marvel comics started to change when Quesada took over then it seems the movies are going in a new direction some aren't going to like.
    So far Thor has become Flash Gordon, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 didn't impress a lot of people and now SpiderMan is off.
    Interesting to see what happens next. I wonder if it's Disney or Feige who's at the heart of it?
    Although where Thor's concerned I suspect the style changing was as much to do with Chris Hemsworth as the new director and Feige.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1165407648357003271

Feige and Holland confirmed no more Spidey in the MCU
    Sounds like ambiguity more than anything definitive. They have zero control in regards to what happens. Holland literally said "who knows what the future holds".

Also, Kevin's statement is a little strange claiming they got to tell the story they wanted to tell about Spider Man. That's kind of nutty after the set up for the character that happened in Far From Home.

Their PR team probably also had them prepared.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 08-25-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureBliss View Post
    Not securing a deal that lets them have a slice of the Marvel cinema pie going forward I imagine.
    They don’t and never did have such a deal....

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Nah, thats the "Does anyone hate the mcu " thread.
    Just scanned it again. I cede the point.

No more Spider-Man in the MCU. I'm both Happy and Sad by that news.

I'm Happy because now we can get a better version of Spidey. I can appreciate what Disney was trying to do with Hollands kid friendly/watered down version of Spider-Man, Appealling to the younger audience is their bread and butter. But now that Spidey is back with Sony we can now get a more streamlined and Peter Parker/Spider-Man centric story without the shadow of TOny Stark or Avengers looming over him. Sony now has three different Eras of Spider-Man. The Awesome Toby Maguire/Sam Raimi era, Marc Webb/Andrew Garfield and Now Tom Holland and Kevin Feige.

They should really sit down and look at what worked and what didn't work before even trying to make another Spider-Man movie which they will ultimately do. I can't help but laugh at ppl who say that because of this split they will never watch another Spider-Man movie, that is a load of horse crap (And I'm being very G rated with that). If the Story is right, if the visuals are right, and if the casting is right people will come in flocks because hey it's Spider-Man. He is one of the big three greatest fictional Characters of all time, so Kids, adults, whomever will go see him on screen. Also People who love and honor Stan Lee will never not see a Spider-Man movie. So this never and oh take away my PS4 crowd are just knee jerk reactions. Sony needs to really work or their story telling and they need to know when to back off and let whomever they hire to write and direct their creative freedom. Ppl love to talk about Spider-Man 3...but remember Raimi had a whole plan but the studio got involved and screwed those plans up. And again with Marc Webb's Spider-Man 2 that got soooo much studio meddling. Sony has two incidents of meddling so I hope they have learned their lesson. If they need another example of letting true and talented writers have creative control look no further than the Marvel's SPider-Man for the PS4. If that was a movie it would have made a Billion Dollars in the first day. The story was great, the visuals were dynamic, casting superb. Have faith in creativity.

Tom Hollands Spider-Man had heart and good scenes but only in the Avengers Infiinity War and Endgame. Everythign else he was in, Civil War, Homecoming, and Far From Home was, to me meh...at best. I mean really. All his villians were Tony Stark employees who were pissed at Tony Stark. And then Disney was trying play Spidey up to be the next Iron Man...eh there are other Iron Man characters that have taken up the mantle. How about Rhoades. This would be a good time for Rhoades to become Iron Man and I don't know have Riri Williams be his tech guru building stuff. Pull from Iron Man characters....but I digress.

I kinda have to give props to Sony for telling Disney to go and Kick rocks. Disney does not need to own everything. Disney saw the dollars signs from Far from home and instead of trying to increase their revenue in inches they decided to take and entire yard. Their deal went from like what 5% to 50% or whatever it was......you mean to tell me they couldn't settle for something in-between. They already have Star Wars and Now X-Men. plus didn't they just make a billion from Lion King.

I'm laughing at how everyone is pointing fingers at Sony saying they squashed the deal when it Disney that's really the culprit. I'm sure SOny would have been fine keeping the same deal, but Disney....the freaking mouse got too hungry for more cheese and didn't think Sony would say no. Humble yourself Disney, make friends not enemies.

The only thing I'm sad about this is that even though I am not a fan of Tom Hollands Spider-Man, I did enjoy some of his team ups. And now with Disney getting Fox and Losing Spidey I will never see a SPider-Man and Fantastic Four live action team up. I LOVE spidey and the FF together. but alas I guess it was not meant to be.

BANNED

I glad there will be no more Disney Channel version of Spider-Man

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I glad there will be no more Disney Channel version of Spider-Man
    They still have the tv rights

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    Nuh-uh. Mark Ruffalo said they don't.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    But did Kevin Feige not say that they don't?

BANNED

Hey, you guys lost the Hulk argument, get over it.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    But did Kevin Feige not say that they don't?
    I've said this recently in another thread .. but the line is 44 minutes for both live and animated, anything above that time Sony can do, anything below it Disney can do
    Last edited by 5Eyes; 08-25-2019 at 04:25 PM.