Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sectal View Post
    “Useful” is someone that adds depth, importance, and value to the spiderman mythos. Someone that would be largely missed if they were gone. For example, flash was a useful character but someone like Debrah Whitman is someone that is largely useless
    I would say that it depends on the circumstances.
    As an example;Flash Thompson was just a bully in the first years,but he was wrote as more complicated fellow than that and eventually,he became Peter's friend.Him joining the army and becoming Venom may sound weird out of context,but it was executed very well.

Most of these characters just need an right story to appear.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=SuperiorIronman;4629818]Silk.

She's honestly an interesting idea in an awkward spot. A lot of her uselessness though stems from the fact that her relevance was to an event that banked on nostalgia and she was too recent to share in it. She had to basically step up during what is effectively her debut. There's also the issue that the "bride" hadn't been expounded upon or if it has it had about as much impact as a silent fart in an empty room. So her relevancy to the main book is practically arbitrary. Then during her debut she was overshadowed by Spider-Gwen which competed and ultimately beat her out of relevancy further. Spider-Gwen was the big takeaway and got to be a main player on film whereas we might have had Cindy cameo in Homecoming.

Cindy Moon also suffered under her creator not having the greatest ability to write her but she also suffered for being tacked on to the origin story and it's ultimately derivative of spider-man's. What happened after is surely not, but it shouldn't take anymore than a sentence to explain where she came from which makes the whole thing more than a little convoluted. Said story also relied on material the fanbase by in large rejected despite its utility later.[/QUOTE
    The best thing I can say about Silk is she is not quite as useless as Hello Kitty. But of all the "Parker Women" she was the worst, and got me to stop even caring about Spider-Man until Slott left the bookm

BANNED

I wonder how long it will be before 'spiderling' joins the pile.

BANNED

As a whole, I already think everyone not named Peter Parker is pretty useless, and none of the other spiders have really proved me wrong for thinking so.
    But if I had to say SpOck and Miles certainly for the bill, Miles really brings nothing other than being the black Spider-Man, and SpOck's gimmick wore thin after 6 issues and by then he was just a placeholder until Peter got back.
    I'd say the Spiderverse movie is what keeps Miles from being completely useless, which says a lot considering that released last year and he's been around almost a decade by this point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    As a whole, I already think everyone not named Peter Parker is pretty useless, and none of the other spiders have really proved me wrong for thinking so.
    But if I had to say SpOck and Miles certainly for the bill, Miles really brings nothing other than being the black Spider-Man, and SpOck's gimmick wore thin after 6 issues and by then he was just a placeholder until Peter got back.
    I'd say the Spiderverse movie is what keeps Miles from being completely useless, which says a lot considering that released last year and he's been around almost a decade by this point.
    I really disagree: One thing that makes Spider-Man work is the supporting cast: MJ & JJJ for example..They are anything but useless. Certain failed 'Parker Women' like Cindy, Glory Grant and Carlie are useless as are second rate villains like Trapster, Kangaroo and Ox. As for Miles he plays an important role: A TEENAGE Spider-Man, so Pete can be shown as an adult ( instead if a teen or worse: A man-child).
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 10-16-2019 at 08:23 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Spidercide.jpg

"You've never been anything but a tool, Spidercide." 'Nuff said.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    "Amazing. Every word that you just said was wrong."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I really disagree: One thing that makes Spider-Man work is the supporting cast: MJ & JJJ for example..They are anything but useless. Certain failed 'Parker Women' like Cindy, Glory Grant and Carlie are useless as are second rate villains like Trapster, Kangaroo and Ox. As for Miles he plays an important role: A TEENAGE Spider-Man, so Pete can be shown as an adult ( instead if a teen or worse: A man-child).
    I wasn't talking about the supporting cast just the other spider heroes, most of them don't do much for me.
    And no I don't see Miles playing an important role at all, Peter got to be shown as an adult who was married year's before miles existed, and if he was created earlier I doubt his existence would've done much to stop Joe Q from erasing Peter and MJ's marriage.
    Miles as a character, is just worthless he's done very little to justify his own existence and inclusion to the main 616 universe, and if his main role is simply to keep Editorial from regressing Peter he's failed and it just shows how he isn't his own character.
    Miles only redeeming factor is that Spiderverse turned out pretty enjoyable, which is what edges him out over SpOck.

I think if we get down to it, just looking at it from Peter's perspective, the other Spiders really don't have much of a role in his life or personal mythos.

That's not saying they don't have a role in the overall mythos, but that as far as Peter's concerned they don't always fit in.

Miles fit into his supporting cast in the PS4 game but they had to really alter his character to make it work. Look at how badly implemented the other Spiders are in the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think if we get down to it, just looking at it from Peter's perspective, the other Spiders really don't have much of a role in his life or personal mythos.

That's not saying they don't have a role in the overall mythos, but that as far as Peter's concerned they don't always fit in.

Miles fit into his supporting cast in the PS4 game but they had to really alter his character to make it work. Look at how badly implemented the other Spiders are in the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon.
    Damn, do you have a vendetta against that cartoon or something? It's like every post.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Damn, do you have a vendetta against that cartoon or something? It's like every post.
    Oh, I actually enjoy it. I just think the handling of the other Spiders is like one of the weakest aspect of the show .

Astonishing Member

Being a supporting character by nature makes a character useless. They are all by nature replaceable.

the narrator. depending if we have one?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    the narrator. depending if we have one?
    We absolutely have a narrator and he is absolutely not useless.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Spidercide.jpg

"You've never been anything but a tool, Spidercide." 'Nuff said.
    i don't think anyone is gonna come to spidercide's defense, but since the character has been defunct and without impact for almost 2 decades, it's a bit of a low blow

my answer; i'd have to say ben reilly in his current form. that being said though...threads on useless characters are a bit...idk...useless?
    troo fan or death