Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Poor story, it seems that this miniseries will be a Spider-Girl reboot. Spiral >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Renew Your Vows

Like it so far. Interested to see where this goes. I honestly don't see how anything different happens if Peter's with the Avengers, other than he dies too. My only minor complaint is that the decision to kill Eddie happened too quickly . . . or maybe matter-of-fact-ly. Although I'm not sure how much could have been done with the limited space available.

Quote Originally Posted by NunoTaborda View Post
    Before OMD Peter always had a way to balance both lives...
    He didn't have a kid.

In 616 world, they would never had killed all heroes... So, this is only with the purpose of making the readers hate the fact that Peter has a family...
    Well, yeah, that's the point of these Secret Wars stories. Let's us explore stories and ideas that would never be done in canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    It felt like the comic really went out of it's way to say "this isn't the married Spider-Man you're looking for" so I felt kind of disappointed.
    Well, the title "Why We Can't Have Nice Things" is a bit ominous I suppose.

Man, Cap is going senile! He said Black Widow went missing, but in the previous page she was clearly in the meeting room (albeit they tried to crop her out-you can see her more clearly in the preview art), and then later she's right behind him in the Quinjet & he called her Jen despite the fact she looks nothing like She-Hulk!

Honestly, this book feels mediocre to me. The Peter/MJ stuff was better than that relationship's been played in years, but it doesn't hold a candle to the pre-OMD stuff JMS was doing. But still, much better than the execrable Silk nonsense or Carlie-took me right back to the end of Spider-Island, actually. I think that's the last time Peter & MJ as a (psuedo-)couple worked. Miles ahead of the Byrne/Mackie nadir, back when they were actively trying to make readers hate the marriage.

But Eddie didn't read like Eddie at all-he looked and acted much more like Gargan. I know, alternate universe and all that, but still, you'd think 'the last Eddie Brock' story would hew more closer to those days where he'd possess a psychopathic hatred of Spider-Man but tended to leave innocents alone. I have difficulty with the idea that he'd threaten a baby, even Spider-Man's baby.

And the Regent...oh boy, the Regent. He looks and feels like the most painfully generic villain possible. There was the entirety of Marvel history to choose from, and instead we get...some guy who's never been seen vefore and likely never will after this story over, yet is ridiculously overpowered. Am I describing the Inheritors or the Regent? It seems like Slott keep ramping up the stakes as far as Marvel will let him-the Green Goblin takes over Manhattan! All the Spider-Men fight to save reality! Spider-Man versus a guy who killed every other superhero and has all their powers! Except in the latter two cases, the villains are just generic boring uber-powerful types with all the charisma of a sack of potatoes. I mean he killed off the Avengers & X-Men, largely off-panel. How, exactly? Okay, with the powers of the street level heroes & the X-Men he might maybe b able to take out the Avengers, but how'd he take out the entirety of the X-Men without all of their powers and without them getting word out to anyone else-Beast was an Avenger, you'd think he'd call for backup if the X-Men were getting their asses kicked. It feels to me less like this are mysteries to be solved and more like plot holes you could drive a Spider-Mobile through. Honestly, you could have rolled out Onslaught (terrible though he is) for this story and it wouldn't really change much in either narrative or even the quality of the villain-hell in that case, the Onslaught Saga coincided with the birth of Baby May, more or less. Honestly, considering the immensely rich history of the marvel universe, I feel like it would have been better if it was a new take on an existing villain instead of creating a new one that's a bit disappointing. Most of Spidey's rogues gallery had charisma-this guy, not so much.

As for the baby-eh, it's a perfectly acceptable child. I see no reason why it couldn't have been an alternate version of May, since Battleworld plays a bit fast and loose with chronology-I mean, nobody's saying that the May in RYV would have to be a copy of the MC2 version any more than RYV Spidey's a carbon copy of any of his counterparts in other Secret Wars books. I mean, especially if they're folding her into the Nu Mu, what reason is there to invent an entirely new kid? It's not like Mayday classic's actually getting her own book after Secret Wars is it, and even if she was I think readers could probably keep the two characters separate in their minds. Any differences between the two would be explained easily enough by differences in upbringing. I'm sure any writer could figure out a reason why RYV Mayday's powers activated earlier. It kind of feels like Dan Slott created new characters for this story because he could when existing characters could easily be adapted. I mean obvious both the Regent & Annie will be developed in later issues, but it feels like an uphill struggle.

I mean, on paper this is an interesting idea-Peter Parker as the last man standing but torn between his responsibility as a hero and his responsibility to his family. But the story as it is-and touted as a celebration of the marriage itself-just doesn't feel like it's living up to the potential. It has the basics of a good story, but there's a whole bunch of missteps along the way-considering how important this story apparently is to Spider-Man going forward, it seems like it'd be a bit more polished. I mean the marriage is the main draw to me, and that's probably the best part of the book, but right now that's not saying all that much.
    Last edited by Yvonmukluk; 06-03-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Oh, and whatever elements are being folded into canon post-Secret Wars are clearly not going to include a Spider-Man who executed someone.

This issue wasn't exactly what I expected it would be but I thought it was a very well-told (and extremely well illustrated) tale. Like many others have expressed, it's hard to shake the feeling of all these Secret Wars stories simply being "What If" tales and I expect that will remain until this whole event wraps and then if/when true changes come to the Marvel U this might feel differently.

Well-paced issue but I do think the Avengers were taken out way too quickly by what amounted to be a Super Skrull. Just ridiculous that someone with the intellect of Tony Stark or combined power of the Avengers could not take down a villain who has little to no battle experience, "omega"-level threat or not. Spidey's decision to end Venom was well laid-out; true the 616 Spidey proclaimed "no one dies" but this Spidey has an infant daughter who cannot defend herself like MJ and he did what he had to do, as he said. I have no problem with that scene at all.

Cool "Easter Eggs" include: the firefighter named "Ollie" (shout out to MJ's current main squeeze) and Iron Man offering to have Peter's family move into Avengers Mansion.

Solid issue: 8/10 from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I didn't get that vibe. It may only mean he can't be Spidey with a kid...

... unless that kid also has powers and is able to defend herself.
    I think it appears to be saying that right now but the story only just started. I'd bet dollars to donuts the main theme is "Peter has to be Spidey. It's in his blood." We just need the story arc to take us there.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Guys, technically they did kill all heroes (except the X-Men) back in Onslaught (I know, I wanted to forget too).

Honestly I'm slightly concerned that there'll be some revelation that Peter could have stopped the Regent before he became so dangerous if only he'd not been distracted with his family.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    This issue wasn't exactly what I expected it would be but I thought it was a very well-told (and extremely well illustrated) tale. Like many others have expressed, it's hard to shake the feeling of all these Secret Wars stories simply being "What If" tales and I expect that will remain until this whole event wraps and then if/when true changes come to the Marvel U this might feel differently.

Well-paced issue but I do think the Avengers were taken out way too quickly by what amounted to be a Super Skrull. Just ridiculous that someone with the intellect of Tony Stark or combined power of the Avengers could not take down a villain who has little to no battle experience, "omega"-level threat or not. Spidey's decision to end Venom was well laid-out; true the 616 Spidey proclaimed "no one dies" but this Spidey has an infant daughter who cannot defend herself like MJ and he did what he had to do, as he said. I have no problem with that scene at all.

Cool "Easter Eggs" include: the firefighter named "Ollie" (shout out to MJ's current main squeeze) and Iron Man offering to have Peter's family move into Avengers Mansion.

Solid issue: 8/10 from me.
    Also the question how the X-Men got wiped out by him -off-panel- without their powers already added to his own. You'd think that Professor X or one of the other psychics have could have telepathically neutralised him without much trouble.

Another easter egg-the calender in the Parkers' apartment reads May 1st-I guess Slott couldn't resist needling Spider-Girl fans.
    Last edited by Yvonmukluk; 06-03-2015 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Oh, and whatever elements are being folded into canon post-Secret Wars are clearly not going to include a Spider-Man who executed someone.
    Executed is a pretty harsh way of saying it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    Executed is a pretty harsh way of saying it!
    Well he deliberately killed a guy. Some people would call that murder.

Well I liked it.
    Not the superheroes getting killed by an OP villain for no real reason, but everything else was wonderful.

Kubert's art is Amazing for this series, and he should really have some appearances in the near future after this series.

It really took me by surprise to see Peter give up being Spider-Man for a good couple of years, but it just shows how important his family is to him.

Right now I can see the element that can be carried over is Roman and his company. Either he'll play a role with or against Parker Industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    Brock did threaten baby Annie. I think we could call it manslaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    Well obviously. Executed implies Venom was not a threat and was basically put down.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    Well obviously. Executed implies Venom was not a threat and was basically put down.
    He was.

And I figured 'executed' was less harsh than 'murdered', which is also accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    He was.

And I figured 'executed' was less harsh than 'murdered', which is also accurate.
    I'm pretty sure Venom was a threat.

Lmao... Peter Killed Venom