• Gentle

7 21.88%
  • Loving

1 3.13%
  • the HBIC

14 43.75%
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    That curse of the mutants page shows Storm's powers being altered because the island they were on was magically created by the vampires, so the elements themselves were fundamentally corrupted. She was still able to use her powers, but she lost her fine control(magical-psionic interference?), so it was all or nothing.
    agreed but would the same have occurred with Jean or psylocke's powers? also if they were the same in application why did Emma (whose powers are also psionic in nature) respond how she did below when in ororo's body:

I agree all are psionic but that there are levels and degrees of dissimilarities make them quite different.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Well then why did the elements rebel against her and why was she freezing and helpless if she's one with the universe always and her powers work without her even trying?

The way I see that page, she had just been through some horrible trials(she almost turned into a Brood and used a mega-application of her power, basically comitting suicide if not for the little Acanti), that her own mind and spirit was in turmoil, so her powers acted out.

Oh, and if we need canon to support that Storm's powers are psionic....

Good evidence.

I just realized that image would have been better if Storm wasnt on an upright position while she is caught by those branches. Also her costume should have caught some damages already.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    agreed but would the same have occurred with Jean or psylocke's powers? also if they were the same in application why did Emma (whose powers are also psionic in nature) respond how she did below when in ororo's body:

I agree all are psionic but that there are levels and degrees of dissimilarities make them quite different.
    "A wind sweeping me into the air"

Does this mean it's really the air/wind that makes Storm fly?

Dude, that page you posted originally by Paul Smith says she has to reestablish the "physical and PSYCHIC connections with her mother world".

Storm's power is fundamentally psionic. It is different from pure telepathy/telekinesis, but they are fundamentally similar. Read the Science of the X-Men. Storm is grouped in the psionic category with Jean and Prof X, its just that her psionic abilities are focused on the natural world. She is mentally connected to the universe, and through that connection she is able to visualize and manipulate its fundamental forces.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Um, yes. She is the Wind Rider after all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    "A wind sweeping me into the air"

When have you ever seen Storm fly without using the wind?????

Silver Storm Surfer by: Lylerdelic
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

Look, I don't know what the telepaths did to you, but Storm too has to extend her will to her target. She, like telepaths, has to work with the forces at hand with skill and persistence to do the desired task. Telepaths are intrinsically connected to the Astral Plane, but they still have to work to do what they want to do. Storm is intrinsically attuned to the universe, but she still has to work to do what she wants to do.
    I'm not saying that Ororo does not have to work. She imposes the strength of her will and body on the universe, so she does work. I guess what I am getting at is something akin to what Claremont said on the board you and I first met. It was on the old Wizard Boards before Comixfan. He made a statement in the Storm thread saying that there is a "mystical-esque aspect" to her elemental powers and he referenced her "resonance with the Gaea-force, or whatever life force with the Earth" as an example of this. What bugs me about your definitions of how her powers work is you make it look like she controls the elements the same way a telepath controls another person's mind, and that is very far from the truth. Storm's powers is very unique because of that resonance that Claremont was talking about. She's not like a telepath trying to knock down somebody's mental defenses to try and get into their mind and face them will-to-will. She is automatically connected with the forces of the universe both physically and spiritually. She's not an invading force that has to knock down barriers to form a telepathic link. Furthermore, her connection with the elements if far deeper than a psis connection with somebody's mind they've invaded. The psi-link can be broken by the victim of the TP attack and the psi can be expelled from their mind since the invading telepath is not naturally a part of the other person's psyche. Again, with Ororo, however, she is automatically/NATURALLY connected to the forces of the universe both spiritually and PHSYCIALLY (which goes beyond psionic).

That said, there are plenty of telepaths I do like. Pre-Morrison Emma Frost, Shadow King, Bogan, and Selene, for instance. This is no personal dislike for telepaths that forms the foundation of my disagreement with you on this issue. I disagree on a foundation of facts.

One more thing, Storm gains spiritual and physical sustenance from her unity with the life force of the universe around her. This is not the same for telepaths like Xavier, Jean, and Emma with their connection to the Astral Plane. More, their powers behave differently from Ororo's even if you want to use an Astral Plane analogy. Storm is able to "feel" the behavior of the natural energies of the universe around her and see how they interact with each other with her alternate vision. She is then able to replicate what she perceives with her powers. That's not how telepathy works. They don't have that kind of innate understanding of the workings of the Astral Plane or other people's psyches. Hence, when Jean and Xavier entered Magneto's psyche to attack his mind, Jean didn't understand what was going on and thought Magneto was fighting them until Xavier explained that he was fighting himself, not them.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/F6SBRf5hkfS...8mfqA2dx=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/7oC1VROEpvP...sEfdnhBI=s1600

Here, Xavier has to explain basic things to Jean about their Astral selves in Logan's mind:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_kVogPskwE...c42/RCO005.jpg

This is not an innate understanding of the mental plane like how Storm's powers works here:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/SVGUaEqq7eK...VmZ_sKH3=s1600

Heck, the first time Storm went into space, she instinctively knew how to command the solar winds. She needed no guidance or anything:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/4TSl50bOCLA...YL4V837C=s1600

Here is something else to consider: Its harder for Storm to disperse tempests than it is for her to create them. Here is the proof of that:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/au-QAQxB-46...kLt4pN_a=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/I9b8L9124xb...NEuVys4G=s1600

Now, look at what Storm was able to do the moment her powers manifested:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/nOTSPnLQICf...IJnzkaeg=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/iHKVngKAqal...Addx2HKg=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/zLi1xRnJrQZ...IwgUGrfQ=s1600

and the next day after she got up AFTER dispersing that tempest on day 1, instance 1 of her powers manifesting themselves:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/N712d39NduY...c3mpskkw=s1600
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/JToakUtsVgO...TgzNUtZw=s1600

Look at the profound control she had over the elements to where she could flatten everyone on the field save T'challa (THIS IS ONE MORE REASON I HATED THAT BLASTED DICKEY STORY. IT ROBBED ORORO OF ALL OF THIS!!!)

There was an issue during the Onslaught story arc where Jean tried to penetrate Xavier/Onslaught's mind (at this time, Onslaught only had a portion of Xavier's powers since Xavier was still resisting him). Jean hit a mental block in his head she could not penetrate. She stated how while he taught her everything she knows, he hasn't taught her everything he knows.

Now, I am just using Jean as example in all of this. What has been said of Jean can be applied to telepaths in general. Can you guys see how Ororo's powers works differently? She has an innate understanding of the natural world around her (unless she is being PIS'd by Dickey) and doesn't need much guidance at all to learn how to control her powers. Telepaths, on the other hand, tend to be overwhelmed by their powers when they first manifest hearing all of those thoughts in their head since they don't have that innate control that Ororo has. This is due to Storm's deep connection to the universe around her.
    Last edited by rutog98; 12-06-2017 at 03:47 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    When have you ever seen Storm fly without using the wind?????
    She's flown on a bolt of lightning a few times. Uncanny 145 and 147 to name two instances of this.

Dude, that page you posted originally by Paul Smith says she has to reestablish the "physical and PSYCHIC connections with her mother world".

Storm's power is fundamentally psionic. It is different from pure telepathy/telekinesis, but they are fundamentally similar. Read the Science of the X-Men. Storm is grouped in the psionic category with Jean and Prof X, its just that her psionic abilities are focused on the natural world. She is mentally connected to the universe, and through that connection she is able to visualize and manipulate its fundamental forces.
    I agree here. Again i know they are all psionic however it shouldn't be concluded they are the same, which is what some have said. A telepathy and/or telekinetic don't visualize the things the manipulate in the way storm does, nor are they connected in the same way. My only point has been to highlight they are different.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post

Silver Storm Surfer by: Lylerdelic
    that's actually really nice.

BANNED

Well then why did the elements rebel against her and why was she freezing and helpless if she's one with the universe always and her powers work without her even trying?

The way I see that page, she had just been through some horrible trials(she almost turned into a Brood and used a mega-application of her power, basically comitting suicide if not for the little Acanti), that her own mind and spirit was in turmoil, so her powers acted out.

Oh, and if we need canon to support that Storm's powers are psionic....

You are being too restrictive of Ororo's powers. Her powers are much deeper than that of a TP/TK as I have proven in my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    that's actually really nice.
    Thanks!

And I see you holding it down for Storm in the BP thread despite what the "enthusiasts" have to say.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

I know this isn't exactly canon, but as a metaphor for the similarities between their powers, it works quite nicely.

BANNED

I know this isn't exactly canon, but as a metaphor for the similarities between their powers, it works quite nicely.

Oh wow that was a nice page. I should check out more of the Evolution comics.