Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Suicide Squad has more Oscar wins than Vertigo. Using award shows to make a point will never serve any purpose.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Suicide Squad has more Oscar wins than Vertigo. Using award shows to make a point will never serve any purpose.
    But RT scores are totally valid, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    But RT scores are totally valid, right?

Yes they are. RT scores are an aggregate of critics and the public, so it shows how the movie was generally seen. Doesn't mean you have to like it or think it good, but it is a better barometer than a few thousand people in Hollywood thinking the make-up was good.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    A (girlish) friend of mine said Ghostbusters just wasn't good. On a level with Thor I/ Suicide Squad.
    That's just cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Yes they are. RT scores are an aggregate of critics and the public, so it shows how the movie was generally seen. Doesn't mean you have to like it or think it good, but it is a better barometer than a few thousand people in Hollywood thinking the make-up was good.
    That's just it though. The point of my post was to highlight and poke fun at the notion of using other people's opinions of things as a way to totem pole quality and validity of a piece of media.

Suicide Squad won an Oscar, and the knee jerk reaction by detractors is to say the Academy's decision doesn't matter.

Suicide Squad was ripped by the critics and has a rotten RT score. Detractors hold that up as indisputable symbol that the film was bad. While the pro-SS crowd say, critics don't mater.

Suicide Squad suffered a bad drop in it's second week and detractors came out talking about the film having no legs, and that it'll never break even. $325 million domestic and $745 million world wide, later and the conversation about the film's legs stopped. Film was the #10 highest grossing film of the year, in a really tough and over-saturated year for blockbusters and would be blockbusters.

So who's got it right? Who is the final arbiter of quality of the media we consume?

That's just it though. The point of my post was to highlight and poke fun at the notion of using other people's opinions of things as a way to totem pole quality and validity of a piece of media.

Suicide Squad won an Oscar, and the knee jerk reaction by detractors is to say the Academy's decision doesn't matter.

Suicide Squad was ripped by the critics and has a rotten RT score. Detractors hold that up as indisputable symbol that the film was bad. While the pro-SS crowd say, critics don't mater.

Suicide Squad suffered a bad drop in it's second week and detractors came out talking about the film having no legs, and that it'll never break even. $325 million domestic and $745 million world wide, later and the conversation about the film's legs stopped. Film was the #10 highest grossing film of the year, in a really tough and over-saturated year for blockbusters and would be blockbusters.

So who's got it right? Who is the final arbiter of quality of the media we consume?
    Those are good points, but we must included box office as a poor indication of a movie's quality.

I don't think detractors/fans ever went toe to toe about the quality of the makeup and hairstyling, so I don't really see this award as some kind of vindication. It's totally immaterial to what matters to me when judging a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    I don't think detractors/fans ever went toe to toe about the quality of the makeup and hairstyling, so I don't really see this award as some kind of vindication. It's totally immaterial to what matters to me when judging a movie.
    Like other Oscars, Pulitzers, Grammys, BAFTAs, and Tony awards, no one ever remembers what the individual, article/column or piece of media won for. Just that they won. Which is how executives will choose market the film going forward. Academy Award Winning Film: Suicide Squad.

Just saying that out load is still so comical to me.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 03-01-2017 at 09:23 AM.

People thought Suicide Squad was an incoherent mess, with a bad script. no one said the movie was ugly and the costumes were bad. I was impressed when they showwd crocs full body suit, doesnt make the story any better. Though i think star trek shoulda won, jokers neon green hair should disqualified SS, it looks stupid.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    People thought Suicide Squad was an incoherent mess, with a bad script. no one said the movie was ugly and the costumes were bad. I was impressed when they showwd crocs full body suit, doesnt make the story any better. Though i think star trek shoulda won, jokers neon green hair should disqualified SS, it looks stupid.
    To me pimp Joker/Joker pimp looked stupid as a whole but at least they got the Capullo haircut right.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    To me pimp Joker/Joker pimp looked stupid as a whole but at least they got the Capullo haircut right.
    Agreed, but the color of the hair just left me dumbfounded.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

*sigh* my eyes are probably just used to worse stuff when it comes to movies than yours

BANNED

It's green. Not sure how that's not good or confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's green. Not sure how that's not good or confusing.
    Its neon green practically lime green. **** looks radioactive.

Like other Oscars, Pulitzers, Grammys, BAFTAs, and Tony awards, no one ever remembers what the individual, article/column or piece of media won for. Just that they won. Which is how executives will choose market the film going forward. Academy Award Winning Film: Suicide Squad.

Just saying that out load is still so comical to me.
    I would not equate a Pulitzer Prize to am Oscar for Make-Up. And I do remember what people won for.