Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default X-Corp #1 Spoiler/Review Thread - Welcome to the New Age

We see a facility with Forge, Sunspot, Madrox, Bishop and Jumbo Carnation. Finally Angel and M are together as they welcome us to X-Corp. Sofia was helping them shoot a promo. At the Krakoa Council Chamber, they talk with Xavier about legal matters. Xavier says X-Corporation needs to expand its board of directors. M has a psychic call and leaves

We see Penance fighting cops in India as she retrieves Trinary from dealing with the IMDF. X-men Red reference! M wants her to join X-Corp on its board. Trinary is able to interface with the new headquarters and senses digital security dealing with malware. Warren is in Brazil meeting a contact, Jean-Pierre.

At the Savage Land Flower Processing Facility, M walks in to find the Madri working. She punches one and talks to Jamie Prime about joining her. He agrees

At HQ, the two plus Trinary are together. M psychically links with Trinary and then Warren. He tries to stay calm so not to shift forms and end the connection. He doesnt want to give the extortionist more money. JP says Krakoa is in violation of the UN. We see M struggle with her Penance form, referring to her in the third person. Penance makes TP impossible when she comes on suddenly. It looks like getting angry causes this.

Trinary, M and Madrox are in an aircraft to fly to Brazil. Meanwhile the Savage land base is being attacked and blows up. JP was the cause and arranged for the mutants to take the blame for the environmental effects. The team teleports through the Nova Roma gate and make their way to Warren. Jamie is pissed when he learns his dupes are dead as they arent disposable. Choppers swarm them as Warren flies into the aircraft

Final page is a news article describing X-Corporation and how the market has soared following its display in Brazil

I liked it! Im willing to give this a chance despite my issues with Tini. The art was better than I expected it based off the previews
    Last edited by Havok83; 05-12-2021 at 10:38 AM.

This was so boring! The art was bland and lifeless. Whilst the voices for M, Angel the rest was good, the plot was dull. If X Factor can be cancelled after 10 issues I cant see this lasting much longer after such a poor start.

Notably, Monet mentions the expanded Board of Directors will needs 5 people. It was unclear to me if that meant 5 in addition to Monet and Angel or 5 including them. Either way we have 1-3 more cast members for this book who are still unknown.

Love seeing Jamie though I'm alarmed that we still haven't seen Layla at all on Krakoa. Are they even still married?

Quote Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
    Love seeing Jamie though I'm alarmed that we still haven't seen Layla at all on Krakoa. Are they even still married?
    In general I would like to know more about his status quo as well, since we had a pre-Layla dupe of Jamie running around in Rosencanny. Is this the Jamie who died in Death of X?

So what was the big ending reveal? Was it the island being in the atmosphere?

Hm. Somehow Monet's voice seemed off to me. And she has superstrenght already, no need to gear up as Penance all the time.

Other than that, it was a good first issue. It doesn't seem the same writer of Excalibur. I am invested in that corporate drama now.

Not too fond of the art, everyone looked like paper dolls.
    The story had interesting ideas, but it never grabbed me. I just can’t seem to invest in the characters or the story when Tini Howard is the writer. I wonder if most of the story will take place off panel as seems to be the case with Excalibur.

This was a dud for me. Monet personality felt all over the place and i hated her as much as i loved her depending on the panel. Warren came off like he was in some other world or he was taking krakoan recreational drugs. Trinary was the best thing about this issue to me. I was getting so annoyed for Madrox at Monet's lack of concern for like anything anyone was saying at all. She seems like a corporate bully. I don't think i would enjoy working with Monet, we would constantly but heads and personally would have turned her offer down flat. I'm out on this one.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Am I the only one that feels like they’re having a stroke when reading this particular writers dialogue? This happens to me when I read Excalibur too. It’s like talking in circles, almost? Hard to describe but not fun.

I enjoyed the comic.
    I can see how some people wouldn't enjoy the corporate focus though.

Every character had a voice of their own. I thought that Monet was particularly interesting. She had some pretty good quotes. Such as the one where she states that mutants shouldn't have to pay for things that they are already owed, or something like that. She came across a bit ruthless to. She was awful quick to view Jamie's duplicates as expendable, and not people in their own right. It could be another side effect of her Penance personality, though.

I know that some readers are upset that Monet is shown in her Penance form so often, but I thought that the comic did a good job of explaining why. She has a Hulk like anger management issue. When she gets angry, she loses control and turns into Penance.

I thought it was neat to see the way that Warren was able to control his more murderous Archangel form compared to Monet, who had more difficulty controlling her Penance form because of lack of self control. Warren just seems to have more experience, I guess.

It was nice to see Sofia's experience in the Mojoworld used to help film the X-Corp commercial.

I agree with people who would like to see Jamie's status with Layla Miller cleared up. I really like Layla, and would hate to see her forgotten about.

I'm going to guess that the last spot on the X-Corp board will go to either Sunspot, Magik, or Selene. Roberto was brought up in the comic, and Magik mentioned having friends in X-Corp in this week's issue of X-Factor. Or hell, maybe the spot jus goes to Siryn once X-Factor ends. Terry is friends with both Penance and Madrox.

My only big problem with the comic was the villain. I thought that he and his mercenaries were just to generic. Especially when it is the first issue of a comic and you are trying to build up a readership. Actually, I feel that many of the X-comics have used weak villains in their opening story in the krakoan era. This comic's villain just felt particularly dull.

I didn't pick this up, so I'm a little confused by the recap. Who was JP? You've got Jamie Prime and Jean Pierre listed, so I'm assuming its not Multiple Man. I don't really know who Jean Pierre is and why he blew up the plant.

I'm reminded of the big argument from years ago about how it was totally illegal for them to have anything built in the Savage Land lol

Quote Originally Posted by PANDEMONIUM View Post
    Am I the only one that feels like they’re having a stroke when reading this particular writers dialogue? This happens to me when I read Excalibur too. It’s like talking in circles, almost? Hard to describe but not fun.
    You’r not alone, it bothers me as well
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I like this take on Monet and Warren but the art's bleeding jank and it's talking, talking, talking. Good grief.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I liked it! Im willing to give this a chance despite my issues with Tini. The art was better than I expected it based off the previews
    I liked it too! I'm a sucker for corporate antics and I've been waiting for this kind of fleshing out of Krakoa's operations.
    Charles purchasing and gutting pharmaceutical competitors, Jamie handling the production of medicine at the Savage Land site (huge role that I'm glad he has/had), the PR debate between M and Angel, and Trinary was quite funny with how she speaks and flirts with machines.

It's not everyone's cup of tea but give me boardroom dealings and negotiations all day. Bonus: Sofia got some nice shine this week and I wanna see more of her marketing at work.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I'm reminded of the big argument from years ago about how it was totally illegal for them to have anything built in the Savage Land lol
    I was thinking the same thing haha
    Last edited by JB; 05-12-2021 at 12:01 PM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!