View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
    Huh, interesting. Well, at least the material is still coming out. Shame they couldn't do some restoration on it, though.
    I'd be more reassured if DC hadn't already solicited and cancelled an Impulse TBP a few years ago.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    The reason why the Impulse Omnibus was cancelled:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09...-colour-files/

There will be TPBs in place of the Omnibus.
    I'm actually ok with this decision. DC has released enough sub-par books recently - they didn't need to add another to the list. I was on the fence about the omni in the first place, but I'll definitely pick up a couple of trades.

Hopefully these trades don't end up looking like the orphaned Azrael volume from a couple of years ago...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Damn that Impulse omni. Then again, I absolutely refuse to believe BC news until I see it from a better news source.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Damn that Impulse omni. Then again, I absolutely refuse to believe BC news until I see it from a better news source.
    I believe them about the omni being canceled; what remains to be seen is if they actually releases the trades.

Or, as DC likes to do, solicit them first before cancelling.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I believe them about the omni being canceled; what remains to be seen is if they actually releases the trades.

Or, as DC likes to do, solicit them first before cancelling.
    Of course, it does not surprise me. I think they should have waited a bit more until YJ S3 was released and rode on that wave.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Not the best pic, a little blurry, sorry, but here is my Batman Omni shelf.
    Attachment 70488
    No World's Finest, Craig?
    And no Batman Neal Adams Omni?
    I do have an axillary shelf for the other Batman Omni's! Hahahaha
    Batman shelf 2.jpg
    Waiting for Worlds Finest Vol. 2 next Spring now!!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Could i buy and read the Batman Knightfall omnibus on its own or would i be missing good/important story by not getting the other two books?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RickyMeister View Post
    Could i buy and read the Batman Knightfall omnibus on its own or would i be missing good/important story by not getting the other two books?
    The first book is literally like Act 1 of a 3 Act Play.
    You would be missing out on much, including the actual conclusion.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Thanks, i might grab these new trades then

Edit: speaking of, does anyone have any pics/vids of the new trade and can speak of the quality. Also do we know what the connecting spine art will be or will we have to wait and see?
    Last edited by RickyMeister; 09-12-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Looking at some shots of the Absolute Killing Joke and the mock up shot, it seems the art on slipcase & book have swapped around.

Order cancelled.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I finally recieved my Batman by Morrison Volume One at my LCS.

And, though I think my email to DC helped, DC did an excellent job on it. The 52 excerpts, the Burnham Resurrection gap fillers, the Final Crisis excerpts both before & after Last Rites......DC did it justice and I rightfully doubted they would.

Bravo DC!
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I finally recieved my Batman by Morrison Volume One at my LCS.

And, though I think my email to DC helped, DC did an excellent job on it. The 52 excerpts, the Burnham Resurrection gap fillers, the Final Crisis excerpts both before & after Last Rites......DC did it justice and I rightfully doubted they would.

Bravo DC!
    Though I have gone digital since moving overseas, this omnibus has continued to tempt me. Posts like yours are not helping, dangit I didn’t know they excerpted Final Crisis too, that’s amazing. If they actually get Batman & Robin/Return of Bruce Wayne/Time & the Batman right in terms of reading order, I will probably cave and get them both.

I didn’t know they excerpted Final Crisis too, that’s amazing.
    Yea, I wasn't expecting that. The summaries before and after Last Rites are inches-sized small versions of certain key Final Crisis panels with text under each.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    If they actually get Batman & Robin/Return of Bruce Wayne/Time & the Batman right in terms of reading order, I will probably cave and get them both.
    My face would melt like that Nazi at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark if DC actually orders Vol 2 like Burnham did and how I did in my custom bind. So don't get your hopes up too much yet. I gave the DC tpb head a scan of Burnham's very post and I know they read that email. But I still think DC will refuse to go that route.

I also suggested to DC that they put The Return with Inc (presumably Vol 3) and not with Vol 2 and I really think that is best. B&R #16 brings plenty of closure by itself to B&R, RoBW, 700-702. The Return clearly belongs with Inc moreso IMHO.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-13-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yea, I wasn't expecting that. The summaries before and after Last Rites are inches-sized small versions of certain key Final Crisis panels with text under each.

My face would melt like that Nazi at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark if DC actually orders Vol 2 like Burnham did and how I did in my custom bind. So don't get your hopes up too much yet. I gave the DC tpb head a scan of Burnham's very post and I know they read that email. But I still think DC will refuse to go that route.

I also suggested to DC that they put The Return with Inc (presumably Vol 3) and not with Vol 2 and I really think that is best. B&R #16 brings plenty of closure by itself to B&R, RoBW, 700-702. The Return clearly belongs with Inc moreso IMHO.
    Count me in on putting The Return in with Inc. There's no real reason to include it in volume 2 at all, story-wise.

You and I have discussed the v2 order before, so rather than reiterate, let me just say I'll be surprised if they follow the Burnham order exactly - specifically, I wouldn't be surprised if instead of
    BR 10
    ROBW 1
    BR11
    ROBW2
    BR12
    ROBW3
    they just do BR 10-12 then ROBW 1-3 (and keep the rest the same as he listed). I haven't re-read in a couple years, so I can't say for sure anything is lost/screwed up with that change, but I've noticed DC has a preference for putting arcs together in some of their other recent collections.

* For those that are unaware, I believe this is the correct Chris Burnham endorsed order (please correct me if I'm wrong)
    BR 1-9
    B700
    BR 10
    ROBW 1
    BR11
    ROBW2
    BR12
    ROBW3
    B701
    B702
    BR13
    ROBW4
    BR14
    ROBW5
    BR15
    ROBW6
    BR16

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Count me in on putting The Return in with Inc. There's no real reason to include it in volume 2 at all, story-wise.

You and I have discussed the v2 order before, so rather than reiterate, let me just say I'll be surprised if they follow the Burnham order exactly - specifically, I wouldn't be surprised if instead of
    BR 10
    ROBW 1
    BR11
    ROBW2
    BR12
    ROBW3
    they just do BR 10-12 then ROBW 1-3 (and keep the rest the same as he listed). I haven't re-read in a couple years, so I can't say for sure anything is lost/screwed up with that change, but I've noticed DC has a preference for putting arcs together in some of their other recent collections.

* For those that are unaware, I believe this is the correct Chris Burnham endorsed order (please correct me if I'm wrong)
    BR 1-9
    B700
    BR 10
    ROBW 1
    BR11
    ROBW2
    BR12
    ROBW3
    B701
    B702
    BR13
    ROBW4
    BR14
    ROBW5
    BR15
    ROBW6
    BR16
    You're correct on what Burnham's order is. It's funny, even Burnham leaves off Batman The Return. Funny that.

As far as the bolded, that order is probably the least offensive alternative DC could go with. And like you, I have not re-read to see if this alternative order would screw up any issue interplay.

Burnham said in his old post, defending his order: "There are little puzzles that get set up in one series that are pretty quickly resolved in the other."